Military Modelling

I was joshing you - and referring to the thieving tendencies of some (real life) soldiers and (real life) LRs. It will turn out great, I am sure.
you havent seen the paintwork!! I reckon plod must have a field day on Waltbay - the amount of suspect kit on there is enough to make a tax payer weep!!

Nearly done! Bit of light weathering to do yet. Just waiting for the varnish to dry, and the super glue fixing the antenna to harden. I thought the bloody stuff was supposed to be instant!? I also toned down the green as it was too... well...green. Anyway, Vickers Mk VIB of HQ Sqn 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards, France, May/June 1940.

View attachment 335406
As Lt. Gruber would have said, "Thats a nice little tank". Amazing what can be done with such a small kit.

Last night I thought I'd have a go at making some cloth straps for the seat harness in the Corsair. What a mess, superglue everywhere and a crumpled mess of material left over. Threw the lot against the wall and its still hanging there. I'll scrape it off tonight. Thought if I glued two pieces together with a copper wire between them I'd be able to bend the harness as required. Good idea poorly executed. I'm glad I had the foresight to put on a pair of disposable gloves. Was informed this morning that I should have used tailor's glue for the cloth. Oh well back to the drawing board.

the bike moving on, now for some tinware..

aha, look what turned up from e bay, wanted one of these for a while, it's post war of course, so it'll sit in the stash post Pacific war, like the real thing really.
The boxes were so much better then......................shame the kits are dodgy as feck :)

Well my Pacific models are ordered.

- Mitsubishi A6M5c Type 52 (Hasegawa)
- Aichi D3A1 Type 99 (Hasegawa)
- Grumman Wildcat FM-1 (Hobby Boss)

- Douglas Dauntless (Italieri, Accurate Miniatures tooling)

Already built are the F6F Hellcat, F8F Bearcat, P-38 Lightning and the F4U Corsair so they don't count.

Too late for the war will be the Sea Fury.

Already built are the F6F Hellcat, F8F Bearcat, P-38 Lightning and the F4U Corsair so they don't count.

you're the first to declare an Enemy Plane in the GB, The A6M5c and the D3A1, good that we've got at least two IJN for some Oriental Colours.

I always assumed that the Devine Wind boys used older planes for the Kamikaze raids, but here it suggests Zeros were used too.
Kamikaze - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Bloody hell thats a lot of graft!!

you're the first to declare an Enemy Plane in the GB, The A6M5c and the D3A1, good that we've got at least two IJN for some Oriental Colours.

I always assumed that the Devine Wind boys used older planes for the Kamikaze raids, but here it suggests Zeros were used too.
Kamikaze - Wikipedia
Well, I've got a...………………………………..109E if that helps :)

When it came to the American invasion of the Home Islands, the intention was to use every aircraft that could fly in the kamikaze / special attack role. That was over 10000 aircraft. Possible devastation to the US fleet.

Point to note on the 162, if you are using Eduard's fret, they forget the mention that the joysticks not going to fit in the hole once modded with the etched plate
IMG_20180522_221456.jpg

OK, you can anneal steel photo etch using the same methods and getting the same results..
Yeah. Just heat it until it's an even cherry red-to-orange all over then let it cool in air.

Brass is a different variation of the same process. Can't remember the specifics but as it's mostly copper I imagine the process is similar - with copper you heat it until it's a dull red evenly then quench it. Nitric acid was the usual medium when I was an undergrad but probably a bit risky at home. Should work with water, though. Either way, always wear appropriate protective clothing, eye protection and ventilate before, during and after.

That you soften/remove brittle points from work-hardening in one by cooling slowly and in the other by cooling rapidly is to do with the way the materials crystal lattice forms. Still odd that the same thing is achieved at two radically different rates, though.

For all you plane fans working on the Pacific war models - for some inspiration check out the Japanese movie The Eternal Zero (English subtitle version called The Fighter Pilot).

It features the best CGI air battles I've ever seen and includes loads of Japanese aircraft plus US Wildcats, Mustangs, Corsairs etc.

The weathering and markings are absolutely spot on - not surprising as Tamiya provided the artwork and models which were then rendered in 3D for the CGI.

The film itself is about a Japanese Naval pilot and is actually pretty good WRT plot, acting etc and covers Pearl Harbour. Midway and the final months of the war with the kamikaze attacks. Well worth a fiver from Amazon:

For all you plane fans working on the Pacific war models - for some inspiration check out the Japanese movie The Eternal Zero (English subtitle version called The Fighter Pilot).

It features the best CGI air battles I've ever seen and includes loads of Japanese aircraft plus US Wildcats, Mustangs, Corsairs etc.

The weathering and markings are absolutely spot on - not surprising as Tamiya provided the artwork and models which were then rendered in 3D for the CGI.

The film itself is about a Japanese Naval pilot and is actually pretty good WRT plot, acting etc and covers Pearl Harbour. Midway and the final months of the war with the kamikaze attacks. Well worth a fiver from Amazon:

nice point out 2q, I was just reading about this in the wikipedia page, I think I'll get the DVD and take a look. Are you not tempted to join us in the GB, DO a quick Tamiya 1/48 Zero? or am I tempting you away from your Core work of sculpting?

nice point out 2q, I was just reading about this in the wikipedia page, I think I'll get the DVD and take a look. Are you not tempted to join us in the GB, DO a quick Tamiya 1/48 Zero? or am I tempting you away from your Core work of sculpting?
I have some 50+ 1:200 model WW2 aircraft for wargaming (mostly pre-painted) but I am really up to my eyeballs these days with moving my workshop to a new building (still got to put up the internal partitions and build a door to keep the dust out of the office), sculpting for work and trying to put a dent in the mountain of metal wargames figures I have stashed in the office....

I'll just sit and enjoy/admire the work you guys put into the larger sized models... :)