Military Modelling

Tiger 233:- Gents I am unsure if it was on this thread that a person or persons mentioned they were going to visit Samur Armour Museum in France expressly to see the King Tiger.However I just saw on utube a video titled "Unloading a Tiger 2 at Militracs" that puts it at a place called Overloon in ND as of 18th May.Best double check before going.all the best
Reports indicated that it arrived safely after being transported along a load of back roads. That can't have been easy as all the bridges along the way have to be up to it. Thought of going along but have too many other things to get through.

Thought of going along but have too many other things to get through.
aha, are you referring to Clearing your busy work bench ready for the Pacific theatre Group Build? Me too, all those little bits and pieces that need clearing away, weary of starting something new, as it'll get in the way.
So finishing off Barry Sheen's Suzzy

and here's Barry, oh he's all broken and on the floor...again

aha, are you referring to Clearing your busy work bench ready for the Pacific theatre Group Build? Me too, all those little bits and pieces that need clearing away, weary of starting something new, as it'll get in the way.

Just like the full size version then :)

I think I've taken a Sheene to this build :)

Most different materials into the mix, feck knows what metal Dragon used for the etched part, given how had it is, recycled armoured plate would be my guess, complete opposite to the white metal which seems to disintegrate if you look sideways at it
IMG_20180520_200233.jpg
IMG_20180520_201541.jpg

I wish it was just that, unfortunately not. I'll be able to clear away the Bradley but the Chieftain and the F16 will have to wait. Should be able to start on the first of June, the finishing date is going to be rather elastic.

I wish it was just that, unfortunately not. I'll be able to clear away the Bradley but the Chieftain and the F16 will have to wait. Should be able to start on the first of June, the finishing date is going to be rather elastic.
Shall we call the group build closed when I've finished mine? Lets face it, anyone building slower then me has most likely took a gap year or 3 :)

Shall we call the group build closed when I've finished mine? Lets face it, anyone building slower then me has most likely took a gap year or 3 :)
@Simmerit walt! :D

I cant upload pictures I'm afraid - either attaching them, or dragging them into the picture box, so when I either win my Cat or bu a 1/32 dauntless, I wont be able to post my slow progress.....

I cant upload pictures I'm afraid - either attaching them, or dragging them into the picture box, so when I either win my Cat or bu a 1/32 dauntless, I wont be able to post my slow progress.....
Try resizing them, if the file size is over a meg, they wont upload

Try resizing them, if the file size is over a meg, they wont upload
That may be it!! In which case just dug this out and may finish it to get back into the modelling - assuming i can find all the rest of the parts of course....

54ECC53E-FA25-48D5-A1C8-69F58A78930C.jpeg

It’s a Hobbyboss TUM with a razor saw taken to it

Picked up this Airfix Mk VI Light Tank for a fiver the other day, so I've been mucking about with paint mixes trying to get Khaki Green No 3 and Dark Green No 4 for the two colour BEF scheme. Mike Starmer (who appears to be the guru of all things British camouflage related) recommends Revell paints to mix these colours. I've only got the Humbrol equivalents so I used them. KG3 turned out a knat's knacker darker than Humbrol 159 so I could have saved myself the trouble! It's probably not correct but it's almost a spot on match for the one at Bovy. I used a pin to give the impression of rivets, and drilled out the gun barrels and smoke dischargers. Other than that I've done no extra detailing though I might add a shovel and a cam net. Time for shading and highlighting now.

_20180521_092437.JPG

Last edited:
Picked up this Airfix Mk VI Light Tank for a fiver the other day, so I've been mucking about with paint mixes trying to get Khaki Green No 3 and Dark Green No 4 for the two colour BEF scheme. Mike Starmer (who appears to be the guru of all things British camouflage related) recommends Revell paints to mix these colours. I've only got the Humbrol equivalents so I used them. KG3 turned out a knat's knacker darker than Humbrol 159 so I could have saved myself the trouble! It's probably not correct but it's almost a spot on match for the one at Bovy. I used a pin to give the impression of rivets, and drilled out the gun barrels and smoke dischargers. Other than that I've done no extra detailing though I might add a shovel and a cam net. Time for shading and highlighting now.

View attachment 335325
very nice, Bovy are restoring something similar to that, might be a mark or two different, but they are sorting the engine and gearbox, might have it running in a couple of years. Seems to be the current thinking over there. If it's not too original, like the WW1 Whippet, they might get it running.

have you got paintbox, most windows has it, it has a good tool for re sizing and cropping, I use 600 pixcels for the widest side of the picture. easier to store and transmit. Tinypic.com is a good host too.

have you got paintbox, most windows has it, it has a good tool for re sizing and cropping, I use 600 pixcels for the widest side of the picture. easier to store and transmit. Tinypic.com is a good host too.
Easiest way is to take a screen shot of a photo on the iphone - it turns Mbs to Kbs.

Indicative of the current state of much of the fleet. Call that one done and get on with the group build.
I've got a bid in on a 1/48th Cat at the minute, which is the preference. I'm probably biting the bullet on a 1/32nd Dauntless by the end of the week though as I do intend to join the group build. Hopefully that will kick start me into cracking on with the Wokka again....

Most different materials into the mix, feck knows what metal Dragon used for the etched part, given how had it is, recycled armoured plate would be my guess, complete opposite to the white metal which seems to disintegrate if you look sideways at it
I have been informed by someone with 20+ years experience in casting with white metal, that most metals used for casting such as "white metal"* can only be reheated/melted a finite number of times before the metal starts to degrade, which usually results in poor definition/loss of detail and becoming increasingly fragile as the molecules or something don't bond correctly.

* White metal - Wikipedia

View attachment 335325
They do have a certain"cute" appeal when compared to the later monsters... :)

Last edited:
Regarding pissing about resizing photos to post here, I though I'd quote a post I made somewhere else recently.
@medwaymud

If you are using windows, you should have a snipping tool. I use this to take a snip of all the photos I post as it allows you to post exactly what bit of the photo I need and at the same time, strips out all the photo data that may lead to persec issues.
It also gives you just the right size of photo both scale and file size is small.