Military Modelling

Back to good quality kits. BF109 profipak is lovely, wing fit over the undercarriage well is a bit poor though. Did you have issues with the wheel wells Daz? Also Vallejo RLM 66 is too dark.

View attachment 332352 View attachment 332353
I built the E version, the wheelweels were ok on that variant... it was the front end that had the problems, having to cut off half the engine block to fit the upper cover and modify the radiator to get it to fit (know fault)... I got that peed off with it, it sat on the shelf of doom for 3 months

Chances are, neither was the original paint on the
I built the E version, the wheelweels were ok on that variant... it was the front end that had the problems, having to cut off half the engine block to fit the upper cover and modify the radiator to get it to fit (know fault)... I got that peed off with it, it sat on the shelf of doom for 3 months
Ok, thanks, hopefully the late variants are a better fit.

Oh, and for those of you that just love working with PE?

:)

Ok, thanks, hopefully the late variants are a better fit.
The 109F & G's don't come with the engine, the fuselage and wings etc are version specific, depending on what spur mix is in the box dictates the variants that can be built, unless you can get hold of the very early Eduards G type, which is a complete dog due to it being out of scale, to be fair, they retooled and issued the current type after the complaints rolled in.

It should be noted that their colour mix for the etched parts never matches any known brand of paint, the chances are the Vallejo RLM 66 is close to the right colour, the etched parts are wrong :)

You painting the tips up to represent PzGr39, 40 or HlGr39, or a mix?
the kit provides this painting guide, so yes a combination of all four. Plus there are tiny decals to fit onto the shells. Sadly the kit makers takom favour Mig colours and I use lifecolour, so I'm doing the best I can converting over.

That's all going together rather nicely. Liked the track in one of the earlier photos. According to PFGen Snr tank shells were were still nice brassy things but in the later stages of the war Jerry started using wooden bullets. He and his mates found cases full of the things while moving through France.
They were running out of tungsten for AP round penetrators towards the end of the war, too.

the kit provides this painting guide, so yes a combination of all four. Plus there are tiny decals to fit onto the shells. Sadly the kit makers takom favour Mig colours and I use lifecolour, so I'm doing the best I can converting over.
This any use. Looks like you select the paints you want to compare and then it will tell you which paint code matches the colour of the other manufacturer:-

The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart

I've started using some of the Mig colours and after an initial cock up in technique where somebody here kindly pointed me in the right direction I've since been reasonably impressed with what they have to offer. Word of warning; don't be tempted by the kits of paint (6 or 7 bottles for a particular subject). Its cheaper to buy the bottles individually.

Means yet another series of paints to contend with. If that's getting out of control see www.sphereproducts.co.uk I have one of their storage cubes and like sh#ds I'm thinking of getting a second one.

That's all going together rather nicely. Liked the track in one of the earlier photos. According to PFGen Snr tank shells were were still nice brassy things but in the later stages of the war Jerry started using wooden bullets. He and his mates found cases full of the things while moving through France.
The Wooden bullets were Blanks for training and also used for launching rifle grenades

Die Platzpatronen

The steel cases used were not polished metal they were lacquered dark green to black to allow the round to extract as a plain steel finish would cause the case to stick in the chamber after firing

The steel cases used were not polished metal they were lacquered dark green to black to allow the round to extract as a plain steel finish would cause the case to stick in the chamber after firing
well I never, as someone said on here earlier, every day's a school day on this thread, learn something new every day.

adjusted the idler wheel to get clearance for the track against the sponson, wondering now if to leave off the kit supplied track guards and leave the tracks on show.

the guard loose fitted

shells in primer paint, test fitted. Some have black or dark grey cases some are brass colour, I wonder if the germans were running out of brass at this late stage of the war.
A quick google found a couple of discussion threads suggesting German steel cases were common from 1940, no quotable sources though.

the Tiger ll at Bovington, some of the guards segments had been blown of as this tank had been hit on the sponson, twice.
Those guards are pretty thin metal. I'd suspect tank meets tree or bricks in confined space and you could lose or damage one fairly easily.