• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Military Modelling

Struggling at the moment with Eduard brass for my Tamiya Bradley. PE can make a difference with a model but sometimes I think Eduard are just a bunch of sadistic bastards.
If you are having problems with the Photo Etch Brass that might be cured if the brass was softened.. Anneal the parts - heat them up with a flame till they turn a brown colour..

fitting internal components is all about fine tollerance, in very little space, especially in a tank like this, the fuel tank has to leave enough room on the sponson edge for the side armour to sit comfortably.

I'm dry fitting constantly to check for fit and to see it's all lined up square, "It's got nothing to do with your Vorsprung Durch Technik ya know", hang on it's a Gerry Tank, well maybe it is then.

Struggling at the moment with Eduard brass for my Tamiya Bradley. PE can make a difference with a model but sometimes I think Eduard are just a bunch of sadistic bastards.

I need 13 or so grab handles for the turret. They don't appear on the Tamiya moulding in any format and they should be there. I should just give up and cover the area concerned with some gash but stupidly I'm as stubborn as they are sadistic. Now trying to bend a couple of mm of metal in four places under a microscope where the end of the tweezers dwarfs the part. Now if Eduard only provided 13 parts then I would have given up as I've buggered up at least 12 parts already. No, the bastards provide false hope by giving extra parts to the tune of around 50.

Maybe some day I'll get the idea of this brass thing until then I suspect a lot of models are going to be displaying battle damage. As of last night I have 5 handles and 12 dead ones. I might just manege the requisite number from the 50 potential parts.
I feel your pain, I don't think I've ever used all the PE parts provided by Eduard, I now just use the practical bits and accept that Ed's a bit of a sadist.

Tamiya hull complete as far as construction goes. Seems the two bottles of Vallejo paint weren't exactly the same colour. Maybe one has been lying around for longer than the other, doen't matter as I'll work it away with a filter.

sIMG_0548.jpg

Eduard provided replacements for the grab cables on the side armour. Took a look and decided that the Tamiya version looked better and with a bit of paintwork should look ok. Onto completing the turret now.

And for inspiration.

Inspiration to achieve pretty much anything in life.
Seen before, but still an amazing video!
Thank you.
Took a flight from Cape Town to Durban a few years back, and at one stage the captain announced "For those on the left side of the cabin, SAAF Cheetahs are approaching us from behind, on a high-speed run, a few thousand feet up. You''ll be able to see their contrails. Oh, and we are currently at X knots, which is Z km/h. They are travelling at ... which, if they could go that quick all the way, would get them from Cape Town to Durban in Z minutes. "
Looked out, and saw the guys overhaul us rapidly.
wow moment.

I have started this weekend with some Twin foreplay. Just the interior base coat so far.

View attachment 330692
Did a 1/72 P-38 years ago, in Pacific colours, to get that tiny blistered paint look from the heat, I sprayed the finished and suitable masked model on the ground floor (on a windless day) from the first floor with matt gray paint, spray... go downstairs, check, go back upstairs, another 5 second burst.... go downstairs, check again... the effect was superb!
If in doubt, try it with a piece of white paper first.

Last edited:
shells in primer paint, test fitted. Some have black or dark grey cases some are brass colour, I wonder if the germans were running out of brass at this late stage of the war.

shells in primer paint, test fitted. Some have black or dark grey cases some are brass colour, I wonder if the germans were running out of brass at this late stage of the war.
That's all going together rather nicely. Liked the track in one of the earlier photos. According to PFGen Snr tank shells were were still nice brassy things but in the later stages of the war Jerry started using wooden bullets. He and his mates found cases full of the things while moving through France.