Military Modelling

That was my reaction.... planes in this case, pilots to go in them?? you can sod right off, far to fiddly to contemplate
Problem with pilots is that the poses are generally shite. Pilot is either using the force to fly the plane with his hands on his knees or looks like he's having a hand shandy. (That last bit could be in part due to the leather palms of the gloves which helps to avoid chaffing.)

you lot make this modelling lark seem easy !
in much the same way as those TV programmes show a house being rewired by a block with a hammer and a cordless drill !
my granddaughter is building a pair of great war tanks, with not much input from me , apart from gluing my fingers to the table and the tools, half the time I cant see parts unless I use my eye glass
the plan is to make a Diorama to place them on with a realistic back ground, she has had a fe days off school so we got a bit done, but it takes a lot of time !!
but its given me an idea for something !
spot the cock ups
View attachment 326801 View attachment 326802 View attachment 326803
Airfix have made their money back on that mold and then some. I've made a few since it's first inception in around 1969 ( about a shilling then which equates to five pence ish). The latest renditions for about the last eight years have been in pretty poor soft plastic from India which looses some of the subtly of the original. lovely kit though

Boarding party block painting complete. Shading with Quickshade next and then just a quick base paint and varnish and they’ll be ready to give them frogs a good licking!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boarding party block painting complete. Shading with Quickshade next and then just a quick base paint and varnish and they’ll be ready to give them frogs a good licking!!

O'er the hills and far away.............

Grrr. face 101. You really think that is acceptable? I did 15mm Napoleonic with the piping and the buttons.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
you lot make this modelling lark seem easy !
in much the same way as those TV programmes show a house being rewired by a block with a hammer and a cordless drill !
my granddaughter is building a pair of great war tanks, with not much input from me , apart from gluing my fingers to the table and the tools, half the time I cant see parts unless I use my eye glass
the plan is to make a Diorama to place them on with a realistic back ground, she has had a fe days off school so we got a bit done, but it takes a lot of time !!
but its given me an idea for something !
spot the cock ups
View attachment 326801 View attachment 326802 View attachment 326803
Looks pretty good so far

Tricks of the trade.... I'll get some heads and show how easy it can be done.

Shading with Quickshade next and then just a quick base paint and varnish and they’ll be ready to give them frogs a good licking!!

The painting technique of the Gods...

I've been doing my wargame models that way for about 15 years now - speeds up the process no end! :)

Thanks to a prompt from another modeller on here, I went to see a King Tiger in Belgium, its an intimidating, beast, I took a few pictures, but its so big you would really need to be up high to get a clear image
A bit taller than a Challenger 2, but the CR2 is 10 feet longer than the Tiger (from muzzle to back end with gun forward).

The CR2 with the applique armour pack is also wider than a Tiger 2...

The Tiger 2 does dwarf the Soviet tanks like the T64, T72 and T80 though...

I found this pic of what a Tiger 2 might look like if it was still in service:

https://orig00.deviantart.net/19b9/...ert_tiger_by_the_ghost_of_razgriz-d5y2m4s.jpg

Looks pretty good so far
I messed up the spokes on the wheels !!! even I should have known that spokes do not run parralel, sorted on the other tank ( photos to follow) she is looking forward to painting it, not bad for a 9 year old ! a trip to Bovingdon will be arranged this summer on the back of it

I visted there in 2000 (or thereabouts) on a recce for an officers battlefield tour following the route of Peiper's SS kampfgruppe in 1944. Had a very good steak and chips in a local restaurant with a Belgian LO and his sidekick, my CO and couple of hanger's on... :)

Nice to see the Tiger has been smartened up a bit since then. ;-)

Is that where it broke down and no one was able to move it latter.:)

Is that where it broke down and no one was able to move it latter.:)
It was knocked out further down in the village - barrel was hit. After the war when the Belgian Army was clearing up one of the locals persuaded them to move it up to its current location instead in exchange for a bottle of brandy. The end of the barrel is actually a Panther 75mm that was found in a farmers hedge years later, and cleverly mated to the remains of the 88mm. The track guards are replacements as well - local refabrications. It was repainted a couple of years ago. It has always retained its original turret number though.

Airfix have made their money back on that mold and then some. I've made a few since it's first inception in around 1969 ( about a shilling then which equates to five pence ish). The latest renditions for about the last eight years have been in pretty poor soft plastic from India which looses some of the subtly of the original. lovely kit though
As I remember they were 2/- [that's 10p to the little ones], because that was my weekly pocket money and I could buy one Scale 1 kit a week, anything bigger meant saving. Also the original kit didn't have the female option.

As I remember they were 2/- [that's 10p to the little ones], because that was my weekly pocket money and I could buy one Scale 1 kit a week, anything bigger meant saving. Also the original kit didn't have the female option.
Did it come in a bag like this :)
pristine.jpg

BTW, First release was 1967