Military Modelling

Since its quiet in here, well, apart from the Chinese spamming the boards again, it's minor update time after slapping some paint on the underside.

Fairly typical late war scheme underneath, RLM76 and bare metal, however, at this stage of the game, the panels tended to come pre sprayed and therefore there was a tendency for a colour mismatch - the green band is RLM83 and was field applied by at least JG 6 & JG 26 on D9 and later marks of the '190D

IMG_20180317_064700.jpg
IMG_20180317_064712.jpg

Last edited:
I've just been looking at some plan views of the M1 Abrams tank - it appears from the plans that the road wheels are slightly offset, with the RHS wheels trailing slightly behind those on the LHS.

Has anyone built a 1/35 scale M1 who can confirm this?

Anyone know the reason why?

Just curious but I want to get the details before I start on a 1/144 M1.. :)

I've just been looking at some plan views of the M1 Abrams tank - it appears from the plans that the road wheels are slightly offset, with the RHS wheels trailing slightly behind those on the LHS.

Torsion bars. They go right across the hull so they need to be offset

Why is it that you see the vehicle painted with such care and attention, and the crew figure/s is/are barely painted to "bought off the shelf" shop standard? Really detracts from the finished job.

I would have thought to accommodate the suspension torsion tubes. One will have to be slightly in front of the other so that you can anchor the non wheel bearing end, unless yo go for a rod inside a tube.

Why is it that you see the vehicle painted with such care and attention, and the crew figure/s is/are barely painted to "bought off the shelf" shop standard? Really detracts from the finished job.
Probably because some people are just **** at painting figures!

They just don't know how to do faces and hands to a confident level...... once the face is painted, the rest of the figure paints itself, "metaphorically" ( I have to add this due to an Army officer in 1992 physically tested my comment and found it wanting.....but he now knows how to easily paint realistic faces on his 25mm D&D figures though).

Last edited:
Did they really stow the rounds nose-out like that...? Seems a bit impractical.

Must have been fun trying to get the ones out from behind the TC in a hurry!

Or is the "artist's impression" a wild glue-fume fuelled fantasy...?
It was done that way so you did not have to turn a very long and heavy one piece shell around inside the confined space allowed inside the turret before putting the pointy end in the breech.

The loader is holding the round with the right hand uppermost, and the left hand on the base of the round, ready to push the round in... and being very careful to use his fist and not leave any fingers lying around after loading... :)

Calling this fella done now. I'm not happy with his left hand but there's nowt I can do without major surgery.

_20180317_114941.JPG
_20180317_114923.JPG
_20180317_114856.JPG
_20180317_114828.JPG

Just working on some Napoleonic Royal Navy Land
ing Parties (Perry Miniatures). V basic colours at the moment but hopefully will finish up nicely. Need them ready for a bit of rum, sodomy and the lash action tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all the track fetishists

Much easier than the Chieftain track and looks good too.

Also a bloke properly dressed for once,even if his pose is a little suspect.

View attachment 326794
I see the rest of the crew have buggered off to the Quality Street box NAAFi and left him to finish off the track bashing....

Probably because some people are just **** at painting figures!
That was my reaction.... planes in this case, pilots to go in them?? you can sod right off, far to fiddly to contemplate

Just working on some Napoleonic Royal Navy Land
ing Parties (Perry Miniatures). V basic colours at the moment but hopefully will finish up nicely. Need them ready for a bit of rum, sodomy and the lash action tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What scale are those chappies?

you lot make this modelling lark seem easy !
in much the same way as those TV programmes show a house being rewired by a block with a hammer and a cordless drill !
my granddaughter is building a pair of great war tanks, with not much input from me , apart from gluing my fingers to the table and the tools, half the time I cant see parts unless I use my eye glass
the plan is to make a Diorama to place them on with a realistic back ground, she has had a fe days off school so we got a bit done, but it takes a lot of time !!
but its given me an idea for something !
spot the cock ups
016.JPG
022.JPG
023.JPG