Military Modelling

After an evening's work managed to get the ramp to fit the back of the Bradley although it is now has to be held closed by a universal latch (I'll paint it black later).

sIMG_0516.jpg

Again, Meng excels in detail as in the detail on the clamps holding the towing cable in place. In Tamiya they would just be a lump of plastic and Eduard would provide a replacement set requiring much faffing, superglued fingers and a healthy dose of Tourettes.

Tracks have been assembled and fixed with alarmingly little effort; 80 links on one side, 82 on the other.

sIMG_0517.jpg

Lighting and some of the frontal BUSK fitted. The carpet monster swiped the RHS headlamp so that needs knocking up from something else.

sIMG_0518.jpg

Not a great picture, I'll have better later. Now time for the rest of the BUSK system.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
1/35 scale Warrior and extras (as previously advertised) sold. Thank you to the buyer who paid £40 for the kit when he heard it was for Children's Cancer Charities!

Last edited:
After an evening's work managed to get the ramp to fit the back of the Bradley although it is now has to be held closed by a universal latch (I'll paint it black later).

View attachment 323394

Again, Meng excels in detail as in the detail on the clamps holding the towing cable in place. In Tamiya they would just be a lump of plastic and Eduard would provide a replacement set requiring much faffing, superglued fingers and a healthy dose of Tourettes.

Tracks have been assembled and fixed with alarmingly little effort; 80 links on one side, 82 on the other.

View attachment 323395

Lighting and some of the frontal BUSK fitted. The carpet monster swiped the RHS headlamp so that needs knocking up from something else.

View attachment 323396

Not a great picture, I'll have better later. Now time for the rest of the BUSK system.
So, the yellow tape painted black to simulate black nasty....not sure if that would be to scale as I'm pretty sure its not that wide :)

Looks a cracking build, your remark about Eduard's is bang on the money as well :)

Just a quick warning order - I may get some bench time in on Sunday so watch out for 1:16 Tiger updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Chaps, if you get a few minutes have a look at this guys work; it is a whole new level. He photographs his work against natural/real backgrounds from various angles in such a way you'd swear you were looking at a photo of a real scene. To see the various sets better than the thumbnails click on the title underneath the main "title" picture.

KarBor

Last edited:
I don't suppose anyone's got a spare 1/48 scale Do 335 front canopy?
IMG_20180223_221505.jpg

Chaps, if you get a few minutes have a look at this guys work; it is a whole new level. He photographs his work against natural/real backgrounds from various angles in such a way you'd swear you were looking at a photo of a real scene. To see the various sets better than the thumbnails click on the title underneath the main "title" picture.

KarBor
That is cracking work. Hard to tell where the model ends and the picture begins.

So, the yellow tape painted black to simulate black nasty....not sure if that would be to scale as I'm pretty sure its not that wide :)

Looks a cracking build, your remark about Eduard's is bang on the money as well :)
That's medium width in the US, everything's bigger over there.

Last edited:
One for the old n bold cold war tankies...

I have a query about British armour which I thought I'd post on this thread as I would probably get a more sensible answer than from some of the never served out in the rest of arrse.

Anyway, I am working on some wargame rules design for a Cold War game set in the early 1980s.

I'm trying to come up with some way to represent the reaction of the troops to effective enemy fire...

Most of my service was in infantry, int and recce, with only a short spell on the armour side. The infantry manuals decreed that effective enemy fire was when you started taking casualties - this is fairly straight forward to model in a set of rules. What is puzzling me however is how would armour, and in particular tanks, react?

The Soviet practice seems to have been to ignore it and keep going. How would a troop or sqn of Chieftains reacted?

I am interested in the effects of anti-tank fire and artillery on armour. From what I understand of the chaps who spent time at Suffield, the armoured units were pretty used to being shot up by their own infantry in any case ;-)

...and to keep the modelling theme going, here are some pics from last Monday's first test game of the rules...

1st test game 1.jpg

Leading Soviet platoon comes underty arty and mortar fire...

1st test game 2.jpg

Soviet FOO returns the favour just before his battery is counter batteried and knocked about a bit...

1st test game 3.jpg

Soviets try to push forward again...

According to the manual the safety catch is mounted st the top of the hand grip. The button you can see above the trigger guard is the rear mounting pin and is removed to allow the pistol grip to drop out for cleaning etc...
Not completely correct, and like you I had to look it up using your link to confirm my memory. Fig 11 page 1-11. It is the hole for the rear mounting pin but the pin should not be in place as it can get lost and if memory serves a starred item. The rear mounting pin was only used to mount the gun on a tripod or other mount and not for day to day use. To remove the pistol grip you removed the retaining pin (two part) at the rear of the pistol grip so that it dropped down and the lip at the front was disengaged.

Thanks for that I am now trying to remember why every dame loves.................