Military Modelling

I picked up the Haines manual for the Tiger 1 on Friday for £6 from The Works. Spent a few hours over the weekend reading it. Fantastic stuff. Its all about 131 & the restoration down at Bovvie over the years. Well worth a read if you make WW2 german stuff. Some very useful notes about colours, zimmeritt, markings etc plus stacks of bang on piccies of the vehicles itself.

Decided to work on the turret today and promptly screwed up. Wondered why the canvas cover was so difficult to fit. Cut bits off and squeezed it into shape. Then realised that I'd glued it on upside down! Bit more cutting and trimming and it doesn't look too bad.

sIMG_0508.jpg

Some of the turret optics and screen added.

sIMG_0512.jpg

For some reason Meng has chosen to make the independent viewer (on turret LHS) larger than it should be. It should be possible to park the viewer with the optics facing downwards when not in use. That's not possible in this version.

Prior to that bunch of asset strippers arriving ABRO was a good place to work.
Not sure when that was - it may have been a great place to work, but in the 90s it was a f***ing awful place to send your vehicles. Every six months or so, we had to strip everything out and send them to Stirling. They'd be away for a month or so, eventually reappear, then have to be built back up.

I've said it before, but when our QM managed to get the maintenance contract taken away from Stirling and done locally, I was chuffed to f*ck. A suitably qualified bloke would appear at our MT, spend a day or four checking the vehicles over, doing the servicing, and declaring them fit. No need to strip down the vehicle, job done.

From my limited perspective, Stirling got sacked because they provided a sh!t service to their "customers"...

one side assembled, let that dry off and harden before tackling the right side.
look amazing.... mind you, its the first time I've seen a 432 with all the tyre rubbers intact :)

Decided to work on the turret today and promptly screwed up. Wondered why the canvas cover was so difficult to fit. Cut bits off and squeezed it into shape. Then realised that I'd glued it on upside down! Bit more cutting and trimming and it doesn't look too bad.

View attachment 323007

Some of the turret optics and screen added.

View attachment 323008

For some reason Meng has chosen to make the independent viewer (on turret LHS) larger than it should be. It should be possible to park the viewer with the optics facing downwards when not in use. That's not possible in this version.
Daft question, is the two colours to the plastic ? or is the top sprayed?

its on its wheels.......not really wheel and tire shaped but............ it looks like its got flats, anyone got kwikfits number?
IMG_20180220_055923.jpg

IMG_20180220_055935.jpg

1519111555420.png
1519111585038.png

38t still not with tracks and bedstead but scruffed-up a bit. Judging by half the kit being missing, must have been through Stirling Workshops! Next one on the production line following on.....

Not sure when that was - it may have been a great place to work, but in the 90s it was a f***ing awful place to send your vehicles. Every six months or so, we had to strip everything out and send them to Stirling. They'd be away for a month or so, eventually reappear, then have to be built back up.

I've said it before, but when our QM managed to get the maintenance contract taken away from Stirling and done locally, I was chuffed to f*ck. A suitably qualified bloke would appear at our MT, spend a day or four checking the vehicles over, doing the servicing, and declaring them fit. No need to strip down the vehicle, job done.

From my limited perspective, Stirling got sacked because they provided a sh!t service to their "customers"...
Interestingly & referring in part to my post above about the Tiger 1 Haines manual the initial engine rebuild of the Maybach in it was done by ABRO. It wasn't a great job. Some very talented amatuers from the SDKFZ society came along & offered to do another full rebuild. That rebuilt engine is that same one thats in the old thing now.

Daft question, is the two colours to the plastic ? or is the top sprayed?
Ah ha you have spotted my cunning jig. Not a daft question at all. The turret from the Meng kit includes the cage. By the time various bits have been added it becomes rather difficult to pick up without risking fat finger damage. To avoid this I used the hull of the Tamiya kit as a holder, hence the two different colours. The turret has already been sprayed. The Tamiya hull hasn't seen the paint shop yet.

View attachment 323040 View attachment 323041

38t still not with tracks and bedstead but scruffed-up a bit. Judging by half the kit being missing, must have been through Stirling Workshops! Next one on the production line following on.....
Personalised number plate walt... ;-)

.....and yes I do know that it is regiment HQ vehicle....

Must have been fun bailing out of one of these with the added pilot slicer at the back end.
What about this one then?

Apparently the ejector seat had to be powerful enough to throw the pilot well clear of the jet intake just behind the cockpit...

I would not like to be the bloke to test the thing in flight :eek:

Heinkel He 162 - Wikipedia

During its exceedingly brief operational service career, the 162's cartridge-type ejector seat was employed under combat conditions by JG1 pilots at least three times. The first recorded use was by Lt Rudolf Schmidt on April 20, with Fw Erwin Steeb ejecting from his 162 the following day. Finally, Hptm Paul-Heinrich Dahne attempted an ejection on April 24, but was killed when the aircraft's cockpit canopy failed to detach.