Military Modelling

Up to now most of it has gone reasonably well and I avoided a few pitfalls by changing the order of the build. The hatches on the turret needed a lot of work and it seems that the other hatches have the same problem. i could just glue them all shut and problem is gone, however, if I want any of them open then I need to fix the hinge mechanisms. At the moment the main ramp is looking like its going to give the most trouble. It needs to fit in 5 different places. Anyhow I could use a few days in peace just quietly fiddling away. Still have the tracks to go. Decided to give the kit track links a try instead of aftermarket. I may yet regret that decision.

In answer to the question, Meng seems a bit like marmite. The detail is amazing, especially when lined up against the Tamiya offering but it seems I need to fettle like a demented idiot to get a result. Keep telling myself, no more Meng....ooh that looks good and I haven't got one yet... we know the rest.
gotta be worth the extra hassle hasn't it, all that excellent internal detail, I'd have that displayed all hatches open on a concrete diorama base depicting a "make and mend" day, all that extra fine work with the hatch mechanisms got to be worth it to collect on your hard work.

the jig in use, seems a little extravagant as you could achieve the same level using a straight edge, but as it's in the kit I left the stub axles to harden in position overnight in the jig.

the jig in use, seems a little extravagant as you could achieve the same level using a straight edge, but as it's in the kit I left the stub axles to harden in position overnight in the jig.
So what do you think of the quality of the kit and reproduction of the full size one? Any good? What are the good bits and bits they’ve got wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a chance with the 1/16th Tiger deal I wanted. Parsimonious fat git in the model shop wasn't interested in my old train stuff unfortunately so I'm going to hoick the lot into a skip & suck it up. Bit disappointing but i've just clocked that amazon have the hobbyboss 1/16th tiger on for £66 which is a cracking price. Maybe not yet though for me, still plenty to get on with.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not a chance with the 1/16th Tiger deal I wanted. Parsimonious fat git in the model shop wasn't interested in my old train stuff unfortunately so I'm going to hoick the lot into a skip & suck it up. Bit disappointing but i've just clocked that amazon have the hobbyboss 1/16th tiger on for £66 which is a cracking price. Maybe not yet though for me, still plenty to get on with.
Stick it on eBay you might get enough for the Tiger.

So what do you think of the quality of the kit and reproduction of the full size one? Any good? What are the good bits and bits they’ve got wrong?

bit to early to tell yet Sim, I'll give a sum up at the finish, but so far all good, great fit, only complaint is the missing sponson cages, but got around that by making them using the top exterior cage.
The tracks, so far so good...

gotta be worth the extra hassle hasn't it, all that excellent internal detail, I'd have that displayed all hatches open on a concrete diorama base depicting a "make and mend" day, all that extra fine work with the hatch mechanisms got to be worth it to collect on your hard work.
Bimey, you're good at mind reading. That was pretty much what I was thinking. ramp on a couple of blocks so that it doubles as a work bench and then add bits and pieces as I find them.

bit to early to tell yet Sim, I'll give a sum up at the finish, but so far all good, great fit, only complaint is the missing sponson cages, but got around that by making them using the top exterior cage.
The tracks, so far so good...
Loving the updates on this build. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling but that may be down to something else rather than my ropey memory of happy days.

Stick it on eBay you might get enough for the Tiger.
No chance, tried that & on an model railways FB page. Not a lot to be got versus the aggro of parcelling up & posting. Managed to sell a few pieces last year but there are right bunch of whingers & free loading grabbing twats on FB - not something i expected tbh from 'collectors'. Quibbling over £3 postage on a £10 item. You end up spending too much time telling people to bugger off. Last thing i'm going to do it post a pic of the box full of stuff on the FB page & ask for £20 for the lot, no splits & collected only. I can gurantee that i will get IM's asking to part it out, & how much is postage. The mongs.

Ebay i don't trust any more after so many attempted hacks & the 'i didn't receive it scams'. I only use my account nowadays for selling any completed model projects.

No chance, tried that & on an model railways FB page. Not a lot to be got versus the aggro of parcelling up & posting. Managed to sell a few pieces last year but there are right bunch of whingers & free loading grabbing twats on FB - not something i expected tbh from 'collectors'. Quibbling over £3 postage on a £10 item. You end up spending too much time telling people to bugger off. Last thing i'm going to do it post a pic of the box full of stuff on the FB page & ask for £20 for the lot, no splits & collected only. I can gurantee that i will get IM's asking to part it out, & how much is postage. The mongs.

Ebay i don't trust any more after so many attempted hacks & the 'i didn't receive it scams'. I only use my account nowadays for selling any completed model projects.
you could always do a Smeg head and chuck it all in a charity shop, I often throw railway stuff like that at them and they always manage to sell it. Better than chucking it in a skip.

There's a company called Rails of Sheffield Wanted Second hand collections top prices paid - Rails of Sheffield
Who might be worth a try they buy and sell at lot of second hand stuff.

Sorry, my version of chucking it in a skip is to charity shop it!! LOL
I pick up old railway stuff in charity shops and at boot sales - it always sells at good prices on Ebay, especially scenery and salvageable rolling stock. Once sold a white metal loco for £90 when it only cost a fiver. I have a big box of the stuff going on shortly! Ditto Minic or old Scalextric...

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry, my version of chucking it in a skip is to charity shop it!! LOL
I prefer to sell on behalf of a nominated charity. That way, I know that a £90 kit isn't being flogged for a fiver to little Tommy down t'road. I also like to help my fellow modeller by offering stuff at a reasonable price.

the rear door, I'm having this open, the drivers and commanders hatch ditto, but the mortar hatches closed, got to get the door handle at the right angle, not sure it's right yet.