Military Modelling

Really good work there, Daz. As said in my previous post, I think the colour scheme used is better than the original version in the film/tv show
Thanks, still not sure about the red nose strip, but too late now, there's no way that's shifting given the amount of clear that's sprayed all over it :)

Now, about the disagree you gave the post :)

Oooh - if they did a 436 conversion would be able to make this...

#mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
439 would be better... not sure if a 2 week stint operating one in someone's else camp would make it mine :)

Last edited:

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks, still not sure about the red nose strip, but too late now, there's no way that's shifting given the amount of clear that's sprayed all over it :)

Now, about the disagree you gave the post :)
Sorry mate, fat fingers syndrome (again).
"Disagree" removed and correct rating given.

Sorry mate, fat fingers syndrome (again).
"Disagree" removed and correct rating given.
No worries Stumpy, figured it was something like that......just looked a bit odd lol

Anyone know which version of the Ferret Scout Car was used by the Troop leaders in the RA ATGW Troops in the 70s and 80s?

Was it the standard Ferret or was it the one with the turret and .30?

TIA

Anyone know which version of the Ferret Scout Car was used by the Troop leaders in the RA ATGW Troops in the 70s and 80s?

Was it the standard Ferret or was it the one with the turret and .30? TIA
I've posted a pic that I took in Barker Barracks, Paderborn, 1978. It shows some of the vehicles belonging to what was then J Bty RHA shortly after they'd formed up in the Swingfire ATGW role.
It's a bit difficult to make out, but the fifth vehicle from the left is a Ferret with a turret. I'm pretty sure that it was a Troop Leaders vehicle.

Paderborn1.jpg

I've posted a pic that I took in Barker Barracks, Paderborn, 1978. It shows some of the vehicles belonging to what was then J Bty RHA shortly after they'd formed up in the Swingfire ATGW role.
It's a bit difficult to make out, but the fifth vehicle from the left is a Ferret with a turret. I'm pretty sure that it was a Troop Leaders vehicle.

View attachment 302359
All hail the power of Arrse :)

View attachment 302359
Nice Commer Q4 and an RL in there too......

The Commer is a box-body ERV. It carried all the second-line Swingfire test kit so that we could diagnose faults on Swingfire kit taken out of the 438s and Strikers. The RLs were hand-me-down's. I think J Bty got everybody's old wrecks.
My G1098 wagon in 1982 was an RL...

They were still around. I did class 3 in 0ne in 1979 and used to enjoy getting a drive in one for a few years after. My first ever ride in one was back in the early 60's in Rheindahlen at the cricket ground during the lunch break.

They were still around. I did class 3 in 0ne in 1979 and used to enjoy getting a drive in one for a few years after. My first ever ride in one was back in the early 60's in Rheindahlen at the cricket ground during the lunch break.
I preferred driving the RLs to the MK that I passed my HGV3 test on. Much more comfortable driving position.

ETA: Apols for thread diversion! :(

When I got to 14 Sigs in 87 there was still an RL in the Regimental Command Post Troop. Probably has to have been one of the last ones in service. It was gone by the end of the year iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taken from the Internet Links page. Now that would make for an interesting diorama.

Something you never knew about tanks
A disabled tank mounted on a transport fought the Germans

Lot-913-C-D-1: WWII: North African Campaign. The Desert Blacksmith. In the Western Desert, there is a blacksmith shop, where tanks and guns are repaired on the spot. The main workshop is dug well into the sand, well protected and camouflaged, and much valuable work is executed there. Shown: Snow White, a heavy-transporter, carrying a tank into workshops for overhaul. Recently, the crew of “Snow White”, using the guns from a damaged tank, fought a battle with the enemy, while the tank was actually on the transporter. Office of War Information Photograph. Courtesy of the Library of Congress.
IBG Models - 1/35 Scale - 35031 Scammell Pioneer Tank Transporter with TRMU30 Trailer

1/35 Scammell Pioneer TRMU30/TRCU30 Tank Transporter 30ton

Last edited:
All well, some of you might be think, uhm Daz is quiet, others will be thinking thank feck Daz is quiet :)

Anyway, back to the BP ....Now I did mention that the decals looked as if they might be problematical, a revised opinion of them is that they are shite, over thick, total inability to lay, or indeed, avoid curling into a heap if you are lucky enough to get them off the backing paper, coupled with a resistance to manipulation normally only seen on a seized shop floor dummy.
Lucky enough, only got as far as the cockpit decals.
Had to crack the part back open to get to things :( side details added, note that despite the holes being there, they are not supplied in the kit, which is a bit of an odd omission.

WP_20171104_001[1].jpg

Still got about 4 dials left to go... one by one, shame they are German ones :)
front panel.jpg

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
All well, some of you might be think, uhm Daz is quite, others will be thinking thank feck Daz is quite :)

Anyway, back to the BP ....Now I did mention that the decals looked as if they might be problematical, a revised opinion of them is that they are shite, over thick, total inability to lay, or indeed, avoid curling into a heap if you are lucky enough to get them off the backing paper, coupled with a resistance to manipulation normally only seen on a seized shop floor dummy.
Lucky enough, only got as far as the cockpit decals.
Had to crack the part back open to get to things :( side details added, note that despite the holes being there, they are not supplied in the kit, which is a bit of an odd omission.

View attachment 302441

Still got about 4 dials left to go... one by one, shame they are German ones :)
View attachment 302442
Quite what exactly ? ;)

Something vaguely model related, War Horse at the NEC cake show today

war horse.jpg