Military Modelling

Also with a kit costing that much I would be scared to c0ck it up

Just seen the prices. Jesus Christ. has anyone pointed out you can buy a real T62 for that sort of money?

Importing them from Lucky model is about 1/2 the price and even though it's Hong kong you normally have the stuff in a few days(faster than Hannants 2 week UK order time :eek: ) and they get the kits in well before they surface in the UK
As for good site I'd recommed Armorama plenty of stuff to keep you busy and helpful advice. Holdfast's brother posts a load of stuff on there

New project means trying to paint Denison smocks onto 1:35 scale figures, anyone had any success, any pointers, tips?

Do ya reckon dem mods would make this a sticky?

Puurty please P_T_P??

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I built me first Airfix Spitfire IX in the early 60s (before the age of 10), which led to me building most of their aircraft range over the next few years. I tried building a Sherman but the tracks didn't glue together and didn't really get into tanks. About 1968 my recently-widowed mother was training to be a History teacher and was invited to a series of wargames hosted by Durham Wargames Group. After the first (Stone Age) night, she asked if her barely teenage son, who would be interested, might come along. I attended the Napoleonic night and wasn't particularly enthralled, but the final night was WW2 and I was given the Tiger to command. Oh my God yes.

I discovered wargaming, studied WW2 and learned how to attach tracks to model tanks. I churned them out by the score.

Then I joined the Royal Armoured Corps. At Catterick, doing my B3 Scorpion Gunner course, I was introduced to the miniature range where, sat in the gunner's seat of a Scorpion, we engaged rubber targets, including movers, in a sandpit some distance away (shame I didn't stay in long enough to use this sandpit experience for real in Iraq, eh?). Next weekend I slipped off home and rattled off an Airfix Scorpion, and attached a hook to the front of it to enable it to be attached to the mover wire in the sandpit. I have to say that hitting a 1/76th plastic Scorpion with a .22" round does some serious damage. Again, good training for the real world.

I joined me regiment. In Tidworth, the RSM was building a battlegroup trainer. It was clearly visible in the unused half of the cookhouse. When we got to Germany and I was posted to Command Troop, the RSM volunteered me to finish this thing off. It consisted of about twelve 8' * 4' sections which together created a stretch of typical North German Plain, featuring a river valley. The object was to be to have vehicles probably smaller than 1/150th, though they weren't to be represented by accurate models. This trainer would be used to hold TEWTs without even having to leave camp.

We were given a cellar underneath the Education Centre in our barracks. The other person working on this was Geordiehussar, a fellow ARRSE member. We never made any real progress, mainly because this kept us from our drinking time. Then the RSM discovered a Bandsman who was dead keen. Finished it in about a week.

I still had all my wargames kit and even though the countryside was a little on the small side, this was a perfect place to get stuck in. Even though I had spent recent years working in 1/35th, GH and I set to producing Shermans in numbers we could only have dreamt of during Lend Lease years.

Then one day we went down and found ... some ARRSE had cleared the feckin' room out. Right out. The lot. Nothing left. Not a single lead Panzergrenadier left. Bastids.

Then I got married. One weekend, bored (she was VERY pregnant), I whipped out an unopened 1/76th Panzer IV H kit. She wasn't very impressed at the sight of a couple of sheets of moulded parts held together by sprue. A couple of hours later, assembled and painted, she grudgingly conceded that the result was worth the effort.

I still have a handful of remnants of unbuilt and part-built kits in 1/76th and 1/35th but I have found better ways to waste my time these days.

However, last year I rediscovered "Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters", a 1974 album by Bob Calvert of Hawkwind. I have enjoyed it so much (it remained in my car CD player for a full year) that I have done some digging around into Starfighters and concluded that they got a very bad press. And let's face it, they do look sexy and obviously phallic. I want to get a plastic kit of an F104G to build, but the market is astonishingly sparse. Go Googling for Starfighter kits and you are presented with items from Star Wars FFS.

Fiji_Bob

Old-Salt
dog_eatin_ot_chips said:
New project means trying to paint Denison smocks onto 1:35 scale figures, anyone had any success, any pointers, tips?

Do ya reckon dem mods would make this a sticky?

Puurty please P_T_P??

My technique for 1/35th scale is a use of humbrol enamels keeping these shades separate to any others used on the figure and allowed to dry between applications

:wink: Base coat of matt 26 then drybrushed when dry with a mixed lighter shade
:wink: Patches of humbrol green matt 30 and dark brown matt 98 (the patches were irregular and have a sweeping pattern.)
:wink: Highlight the smock using a very light drybrush of matt 26 highlight shade mixed up again.
:wink: Weather elbows with a drybrushed light concrete colour, but not matt 26

Cuffs (and collar on officers smocks I think) were wool dark green never use the same matt 30 for this. Dry brush the cuffs a lighter shade of the same green

Buttons where brass studs and a brass zip at the collar so these should be painted /highlighted in your usual way, but keep the "brass" very subdued

8) The real secret I learned from someone with painting any camo is to paint the "patch" colours up to, but never over the "seams" in garment. So the patches abruptly end and start at a different point after a seam. 8) and think how the jacket is put together from sheets of camo material, like at the pockets or collar?

Few.......... that is all much harder to describe than do! 8O

(edit to add I tried to attach a photo but it did not work will try again when have more time) :roll:

Alien....For starfighter kits try a search on the Hannents website link provided by other posters above 8)

McVitie

Old-Salt
I'm planning on scratch building a WW2 Horsa glider, along with airborne troops pouring out of it.

Not sure about making this a sticky just yet, but would like to see photos of some of your modelling efforts to date?

If you're really 'challenged' over putting up photos etc , there is a guide in the "Family Military Photos" section.

Models don't have to be Army related. I know Soldiers who aeromodel , and Crabs who love building AFV's.

So whatever you've built a scale representation of, let's see a description and photos :D

AlienFTM said:
However, last year I rediscovered "Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters", a 1974 album by Bob Calvert of Hawkwind. I have enjoyed it so much (it remained in my car CD player for a full year) that I have done some digging around into Starfighters and concluded that they got a very bad press. And let's face it, they do look sexy and obviously phallic. I want to get a plastic kit of an F104G to build, but the market is astonishingly sparse. Go Googling for Starfighter kits and you are presented with items from Star Wars FFS.

Why don't you try Googling for "Lockheed F-104 kits", there's plenty there.

McVitie

Old-Salt
Here's one of my model's i have a picture of...

DSC00370.jpg

Modeled after a 101st Airborne Trooper in Vietnam 1965.

It is more detailed then the picture show's, but i could not remember how to adjust to marco mode.

Nice work McVitie!

Better light source might reveal a lot more detail, but it looks very good. Who is the manufacturer?

Good lord!

Scratchbuilding a mdel from Balsa , or even if you have to, extrusion moulding one would be a lot cheaper , depending on scale of course.

McVitie

Old-Salt
Thank's Pongo.

A few item's on the figure was scratch built like the pack of smoke's, bug repellent in his helmet dog tag through his boot lace, you know the typical cliche GI.

I can't remember the manufacturer, as i bought the kit awhile ago from a mate. But Verlinden keep's popping into thought, so it might well be them.

180! Geezz i reckon i could scratch the horsa for well under that, plus the glider is going to be part of a scene around pegasus bridge.

Tilbake

Old-Salt
Fatcivvy said:
AlienFTM said:

Why don't you try Googling for "Lockheed F-104 kits", there's plenty there.

For the exact same reason I bought the Academy 1/72nd kit thinking 'that'd look nice next to the CD player' but, having neither glue, paint nor time to make it, stowed that one away in the abandoned projects box and opted for the easier, ready-made, 1/48th scale option:

Image.po

Cost me $100 in Bangkok (there's a shop there that has hundreds of these things) but seems to be cheaper on the Internet.

Revell have several ready built
Tornado- German Air force
F-16 - Dutch
B17 - Coastal Command
All metal around £20 each

McVitie

Old-Salt
Yes, a quick serach confirmed my feeling. It's the 120mm M79 US Grenade Gunr 'Nam figure, indeed made by Verlinden.

This is the Tamiya SAS Desert jeep, with a couple of figs from Korea - Legend?

"Never trust an officer with a map and compass..."

PICT0402.jpg

This is the Trumpeter KV-2 and Russian tankies "at rest" from Mini-Art.

PICT1037copy.jpg

Latest Threads