Military Modelling

I remember that Harrier.
I built the Airfix 1/24 scale Harrier for my local Aviation museum exhibition on the Daily mail transatlantic race, that was won by an early model Harrier, The nose whel was very weak and needed basic super detailing with light and wires. The Curator dropped the whole thing and broke the nose wheel, had to take it back for repairs and reinforcement of said landing gear, it was badly designed from the start, I bet they've not updated it for the overpriced re issue.
finished in it's glass case.jpg

ART WORK not worked out.jpg

PFGEN

GCM
Small world init, on FB Lockdown Modelling thread one of the guys was talking about this very problem today. He had to write to Airfix four times to get the front leg. Every time they sent him a replacement, it turned up broken.
That might have been me but not on FB, about 18 posts further back this thread.

PFGEN

GCM
here is something for you!

That was fun to watch, spent some time this afternoon going through the various Harrier options. The "new" Airfix kit does turn out a rather good looking 4 Sqn Harrier, memories of Gutersloh come to mind. There's a massive HobbyBoss 1/18th scale AV8 around but the mouldings and detail look dire. Seems the best bets are in 1/48th scale with many aftermarket parts to correct any issues.

Flightpath also seem to have produced some rather good aftermarket parts for said Airfix kit. I just wish they had put the same care and attention into the abomination of the ALQ131 they produced for my viper.

Last edited:

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt
That was fun to watch, spent some time this afternoon going through the various Harrier options. The "new" Airfix kit does could turn out a rather good looking 4 Sqn Harrier, memories of Gutersloh come to mind. There's a massive HobbyBoss 1/18th scale AV8 around but the mouldings and detail look dire. Seems the best bets are in 1/48th scale with many aftermarket parts to correct any issues.

Flightpath also seem to have produced some rather good aftermarket parts for said Airfix kit. I just wish they had put the same care and attention into the abomination of the ALQ131 they produced for my viper.
A company called Kinetic do a load of brilliant Harrier kits!

I've just started to paint this 1/16 AC model figure. As figures go; it's pretty shite tbh folks but one of my kids bought it for me as a birthday present.
I've had to do a shed load of sanding down and filling just to get the figure's arms into a some what realistic pose.
Thoughts on the MTP pattern thus far?

Attachments

• 20220128_134458.jpg
    20220128_134458.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
  • 20220128_134453.jpg
    20220128_134453.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Doesn't look too shabby. In my limited experience of camo paint it to look right, rather than try and match the actual real thing, also use a wash of the base colour over it all to blend it all in and key it together.

I've just started to paint this 1/16 AC model figure. As figures go; it's pretty shite tbh folks but one of my kids bought it for me as a birthday present.
I've had to do a shed load of sanding down and filling just to get the figure's arms into a some what realistic pose.
Thoughts on the MTP pattern thus far?

That's looking rather good fella, the cam looks spot on in my opinion.

Doesn't look too shabby. In my limited experience of camo paint it to look right, rather than try and match the actual real thing, also use a wash of the base colour over it all to blend it all in and key it together.
I'll defo be giving it a wash once I'm happy with the base colours mate. I'll be posting regular updates of my progress with it. If it turns out as good as what I am hoping for then I'll enter it into a competition.