Military Modelling

I can't be the only one drawn to Airfix models by the excellent, inspiring artwork on the box, can I? I mean look at this Forrestal artwork, jet leaving the forward edge of the flightdeck, low angle view of the bow cutting through the waves as she heads into the wind. Great scene.
USS Forrestal airfix kit.jpg

then there's this option, not at all inspiring artwork, bit boring in fact, but I know the kit will just fall together. Advertising, that's what it is advertising. I'm a sucker for it, and as Daz says, I love building crap kits.
Fletcher class uss destroyer.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I can't be the only one drawn to Airfix models by the excellent, inspiring artwork on the box, can I? I mean look at this Forrestal artwork, jet leaving the forward edge of the flightdeck, low angle view of the bow cutting through the waves as she heads into the wind. Great scene.
View attachment 620266
then there's this option, not at all inspiring artwork, bit boring in fact, but I know the kit will just fall together. Advertising, that's what it is advertising. I'm a sucker for it, and as Daz says, I love building crap kits.
View attachment 620268
Airfix box art was always superb.

Statistics

War Hero
View attachment 620266
View attachment 620268

Was a little bit on the artwork in last night's episode of Hornby. Cross I think the old stuff was done by. New stiff is all CAD drawing. Proper impressive

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Does anybody have any experience of moulding scenery or small items in either plaster or resin? Looking for a Christmas project…

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
What exactly are you after? There are a lot of methods you could use.
Something to mould small buildings or walls, craters, that kind of thing?

Was a little bit on the artwork in last night's episode of Hornby. Cross I think the old stuff was done by. New stiff is all CAD drawing. Proper impressive
Also he said that there are collectors who buy the kits but do not build the model just for the boxes.

That's the gunsight out in front. Seat folded in half to allow the guy to get in.
fascinating.
The Hs 129 was designed around a single large "bathtub" of steel sheeting that made up the entire nose area of the plane, completely enclosing the pilot up to head level. Even the canopy was steel, with only tiny windows on the side to see out of and two angled blocks of glass for the windscreen.
To improve the armor's ability to deflect bullets, the fuselage sides were angled in, forming a triangular shape, resulting in almost no room to move at shoulder level. There was so little room in the cockpit that the instrument panel ended up under the nose below the windscreen where it was almost invisible; some of the engine instruments were moved outside onto the engine nacelles' inboard-facing surfaces and the gunsight was mounted outside on the nose.

Airfix box art was always superb.
The Bridge House in BK (the guesthouse seems to have closed) used to have a series of (possibly original) framed Airfix box top illustrations in the lobby, i was told of the connection with the artist but a lot of Guinness happened since…

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does anybody have any experience of moulding scenery or small items in either plaster or resin? Looking for a Christmas project…

Yes, direct or indirect method?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

PFGEN

GCM

Try Woodland Scenics for rock moulds. They have several with multiple rock formations. Cast in plaster. Moulds are rubber and work well. If you want rubble or different sizes just give the results of the moulding a fit tap and you'll have plenty of options.

Not sure why the moulds, but Dad used to make rock out of stale cement. You know when it goes hard in the bag, break it up to rock size pieces. Drop into water wait till the bubbles stop, pull out to dry. Then paint. Simples.

Latest Threads