Military Modelling

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I never even knew such things existed. Do tell.

Initial target marking and then guiding the other bombers where to drop in relation to earlier bombs.

Especially useful when Germans using decoy markers and fires.

Anybody building a Type 23? Some 'weathering' ideas here!

259680166_2103698306455422_7357131056734197423_n.jpg

PS Fact of the day - the 'dents' on a ship's hull plating is known as 'Hungry Horse'! Bet you didn't know that!
What The Navy Lark would have looked like if it had ever come to the big screen.

Initial target marking and then guiding the other bombers where to drop in relation to earlier bombs.

Especially useful when Germans using decoy markers and fires.
“Offset marking” was a technique whereby Pathfinders would light up an isolated spot away from the target, then instruct the Main Force to bomb x distance/y bearing away from the marker.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
P51's and Mosquitos used to drop marker flares and alo to monitor the raid, telling oncoming aircraft to "bomb left of marker" etc

Amazon product
Worth a look, I got mine from The Works
Yes. I recall that the first time Cheshire ever flew a P-51 it was as a Pathfinder on a live mission. He actually climbed into a type he'd never even sat in before and off he went. Different times.

The way I read the post above, Lancasters were being used as marker/camera aircraft. That's the bit I was querying.

I was presuming PR? Therefore, Mosquitos, Spitfires etc.

Yes. I recall that the first time Cheshire ever flew a P-51 it was as a Pathfinder on a live mission. He actually climbed into a type he'd never even sat in before and off he went. Different times.

The way I read the post above, Lancasters were being used as marker/camera aircraft. That's the bit I was querying.

I was presuming PR? Therefore, Mosquitos, Spitfires etc.

Yes, Lancs were also used as marker aircraft and also camera aircraft. One accompanied the raid on the Tirpitz specifically to record the event

ches

LE
“Offset marking” was a technique whereby Pathfinders would light up an isolated spot away from the target, then instruct the Main Force to bomb x distance/y bearing away from the marker.

Topic not for this thread but I've always wondered about how any corrections for the aiming point would have been calculated when the markers were drifting with winds over the targets.

Yes, Lancs were also used as marker aircraft and also camera aircraft. One accompanied the raid on the Tirpitz specifically to record the event

We were supposed to be going to that part of the world earlier this year... and hoped to persuade 0A to do a drive by of the site as there are still craters visible. Bloody covid. Still, having canned our planned Iceland visit in January thanks to the Govt's announcement on Saturday out of an overabundance of caution I am sure, we will look at doing Norway again at some point in the future. After 2 trips to Iceland we've still not seen the Northern Lights - Norway was an attempt to see them from somewhere else, and after that was cancelled, we thought Iceland was a simpler trip until the new variant sparked up last week.
Apologies for the thread drift
#sprue
#glue
#paint etc in penance...

We were supposed to be going to that part of the world earlier this year... and hoped to persuade 0A to do a drive by of the site as there are still craters visible. Bloody covid. Still, having canned our planned Iceland visit in January thanks to the Govt's announcement on Saturday out of an overabundance of caution I am sure, we will look at doing Norway again at some point in the future.
Don't forget the pictures :)

Daz

LE
Topic not for this thread but I've always wondered about how any corrections for the aiming point would have been calculated when the markers were drifting with winds over the targets.
Comes down to the skill of the "Master Bomber" and what marking system was being used, Sky Marking was the system used that was most affected by wind - some items on this page might be of interest to you Pathfinder Methods

Dads203

Old-Salt
I've just started one of those. Propper kits for propper men.
Not bing sprocket I'll post pics when it's finished some time next August.
They certainly are not Tamiya quality that’s for sure, you have to have a few builds under your belt before entertaining a Mach Poo kit :| and a sense of humour.

they had a drift calculator which was rather like a bomb sight. Maritime aircraft like the later Shackelton had one so you could watch a succession of smoke floats and calculate the aim off required. For altitude bombing, substitute flares for smoke floats.

Slime

LE
What The Navy Lark would have looked like if it had ever come to the big screen.

It did come to the big screen.
But, it was a poor imitation of the radio series.

Something a bit different for tonight's wargame...

Somewhere above the western front summer of 1917
German Albatross DII and DVs searching for a RFC recce flight photographing German positions behind the lines...
nov211.jpg

The plucky chaps of the RFC - two Bristol fighters and a DH4 recce aircraft.
nov212.jpg

The first pass - one Albatross DII is hit and set on fire. The pilot was also wounded in the same attack. Unable to put the fire out this one went down in flames a minute later...
nov213.jpg

RFC planes managed to keep close together while the Germans were unable to coordinate their attack very well. Another Albatross went down in flames and another was hit in the engine and forced to make a run for safety. All three RFC planes made it back home, although one had a wounded rear gunner.
nov214.jpg

We haven't played with these models for a couple of years - they are neat little 1/144 scale models and I'd forgotten how much fun they are.

It took us a while to remember the rules and how to play the game though :)

ches

LE
Something a bit different for tonight's wargame...

Somewhere above the western front summer of 1917
German Albatross DII and DVs searching for a RFC recce flight photographing German positions behind the lines...
View attachment 619160

The plucky chaps of the RFC - two Bristol fighters and a DH4 recce aircraft.
View attachment 619161

The first pass - one Albatross DII is hit and set on fire. The pilot was also wounded in the same attack. Unable to put the fire out this one went down in flames a minute later...
View attachment 619162

RFC planes managed to keep close together while the Germans were unable to coordinate their attack very well. Another Albatross went down in flames and another was hit in the engine and forced to make a run for safety. All three RFC planes made it back home, although one had a wounded rear gunner.
View attachment 619163
We haven't played with these models for a couple of years - they are neat little 1/144 scale models and I'd forgotten how much fun they are.

It took us a while to remember the rules and how to play the game though :)

As pretty much always, i read your threads & see the pics & remember what a jammy bugger you are.

Latest Threads