Military Modelling

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A few models on show here

Have a look around, lots of photographs of the layout on t'interweb, such as...

Waterloo-Uncovered.jpg

OK - I've just been to Gibraltar for the weekend to a boat re-union, and very nice/great crack it was too!

But, I DIDN'T BUY A WATCH this time!!! I saved my cash for something else, of which more later.

The first thing I have to ask, have any of you made or use a 'modelling tray' that can be placed on the dining table for all your precious stuff, between meals? I'm thinking of a bit of ply with a batten all the way round, maybe some sub- divisions down the sides or across the far end for glues, paints and bits and pieces. Holes drilled in the battens for come-in-handy tools etc. All given a coat of varnish.

My initial working idea is about 60cm wide by about 40cm deep, with handles on either side to lift it carefully out of the way.

Any comments - about the tray idea obvs! :cool:
I use a wooden tray, flat with an all round edge.

View attachment 611921

Funny you should mention it… I’ve been hankering to get back into the hobby but had to place some sort of limit on how much space all the kit & caboodle can occupy. The above contraption is made of an old packing case, and if it works I might do something square/level/with proper joinery down the line.

Tonight’s job is to lay out the bits in it:

View attachment 611922

I’ll let you know what works and what doesn’t when I start snipping sprues!
That's the badger! A very fair starter for 10! I'm liking the depth, but I think I'll go wider. I'll start doodling tomorrow!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

sarnian

War Hero
Just so I don’t drop a clanger- where’s the appropriate place to stick up pictures of a complete novice build?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just so I don’t drop a clanger- where’s the appropriate place to stick up pictures of a complete novice build?
Start a build thread of your own is the best bet, that way it's easily found amongst the other stuff here. Don't worry about it being a novice build, plenty of people here to ask and get advice off.

OK - I've just been to Gibraltar for the weekend to a boat re-union, and very nice/great crack it was too!

But, I DIDN'T BUY A WATCH this time!!! I saved my cash for something else, of which more later.

The first thing I have to ask, have any of you made or use a 'modelling tray' that can be placed on the dining table for all your precious stuff, between meals? I'm thinking of a bit of ply with a batten all the way round, maybe some sub- divisions down the sides or across the far end for glues, paints and bits and pieces. Holes drilled in the battens for come-in-handy tools etc. All given a coat of varnish.

My initial working idea is about 60cm wide by about 40cm deep, with handles on either side to lift it carefully out of the way.

Any comments - about the tray idea obvs! :cool:

At home I use a sheet of mdf with wooden battens along the edges. The board is large enough to take an A3 sized cutting mat.

Start a build thread of your own is the best bet, that way it's easily found amongst the other stuff here. Don't worry about it being a novice build, plenty of people here to ask and get advice off.

What @Helm said... and unlike many other threads on arrse the broken brained and tin foil hat brigade will not scribble all over it and throw insults.

A few models on show here

Have a look around, lots of photographs of the layout on t'interweb, such as...

View attachment 611943

Meh... ;-)

Here's my wargame table this week...

battlefield at midday 6th May.jpg

Daz

LE

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Daz

LE
At home I use a sheet of mdf with wooden battens along the edges. The board is large enough to take an A3 sized cutting mat.
That's my plan. I bought an A4 mat, so some room around that and some wee boxes at the rear sides - job's a good 'un. Never used a mat before - didn't have them last time! Also got a small tile from the garden to cut the PE on.

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
What @Helm said... and unlike many other threads on arrse the broken brained and tin foil hat brigade will not scribble all over it and throw insults.
You do realise I'm in this thread don't you?

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
This thread is fine, crayoning over people's builds, not so much, not that you do just a general comment as it's starting to happen increasingly
I only ended up in here because I found some models in a skip.
Hard to get away though as there are some great tips for fixing stuff etc.

Latest Threads