Military Modelling

Batman1996

Swinger
Meanwhile, (bringing the thread neatly back on track) anybody received their 1/35 Airfix Austin "Katy" yet? I placed an advanced order with Jadlam, shelling out the £25.00 reservation fed and apart from my usual deliveries from them, I've only received an email in July informing that the price was going to be more than advertisec. The release date was supposed to be October 2021 and tempes is definitely fugiting!
I ordered one back in Feb this year and had the same email as you. Just checked on website and found this. Looks like @Northern_Biff is right
0937ECBA-6B4B-488C-BA2E-9FD0BC0CBAD8.png

Daz

LE

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Batman1996

Swinger
I was not aware of the February date, I had been led to believe it would arrive in October 2021.
Me neither till I had a look. As yourself, thought it’d be released in Oct 2021, and I’d receive it sometime in the following weeks. Buggered my plans up - was going to have Boxing Day at the bench with it rather than spend it with the in-laws. Looks like the dog is getting a 12 hour walk now

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm going to place it in a glass case, what did you think I was going to do.
Anyway, that PE set is on it's way from China, so I'm not holding my breath, the Titanic kit's gone in the stash in the loft, with all the others. And I rescued this stalled project from the loft and when Ripley's done, Ill restart this years old stall.
View attachment 611225
to give myself some motivation, I'll build it as this aircraft, picture I took in Cyprus in 89.
View attachment 611226

The replacement for a certain Wokka?

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Proff3RTR

War Hero

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The Soviet reinforcements are now painted up and await weathering and basing:

8D81FD2F-7224-4A02-9D69-87314FA4978D.jpeg

Kudos to @Rodney2q and his amazing products - look at the detail on this ZSU 23-4 ‘Shilka’:

F43ED9CD-C8F9-4E5B-9CF1-DF7D67DBBFFF.jpeg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Are they 1/300th scale? the detail is awesome when compared to the penny for size!
1/144 scale but even so, I think they’re brilliant.

Are they 10mm of 12?, nice miniatures as well. What system are they for?

Thanks for the complements chaps - I'm all embarrased now... ;)

For @Proff3RTR - the AFVs are designed to 1/144 scale simply to make it easier for producing the masters - basically 1mm - 6". Also, a 1/48 scale plan can be converted to 1/144 by dividing the measurements by 3. Simples.

The infantry are 10mm, which makes them slightly oversized (particularly when taking the metal bases into account) but they look ok with the vehicles when they are all paintedup and based. 10mm is a popular size for wargame figures and there is a lot of scale scenery and buildings readily available to go with them.

They can be used with pretty much any game system. A lot of our customers use them to play Team Yankee, I have used the Sabre Squadron rules but I'm currently working on my own set of rules which is based firmly in the real world in which a company/squadron level commander is told what his mission is, and what assets he has to achieve it. None of the usual system of using points to build your own mini army with its own artillery and air support and army level assets attached down to company level. You go with what you have to hand depending on the scenario and hope that your senior commandersknow what they are doing! The player will have a basic unit or combat team and any other assets or special circumstances are allocated by a card system which may allow the player to gain certain assets or advantages as the game plays out.

For example:
  • A Soviet player may be lucky enough to be on the main axis of the advance and may have additional fire or engineer support.
  • A player may recieve a card which gives him a secure flank (ie a friendly unit which can cover his flank). This allows the player to prevent any flank attacks on the secure flank and the covering unit may be able to give supporting fire on enemy models.
  • A player may find that the enemy have been on the recieving end of friendly air or artillery interdiction prior to the battle and have already suffered losses.
  • Another card may inform the player that attack helicopters are operating in support in his immediate area and may target enemy AFVs in his vicinity. This is all very well until the enemy player counters the helicopter card with his Air Defence card which states that the enemy air defences are on the ball and the helicopters have failed in their mission.
It's very much a work in progress at the moment.

Anyway, here's what I have been up to this week...

Finished tarting up and rebasing @Sandrat's "old school" style 15mm Italian Napoleonic infantry and artillery. These are now finished, varnished and ready to go.

How they looked on arrival...
italians4.jpg

The finished results. Other than a brown wash and a quick highlight on the white unforms, plus a couple of paint chips to touch in, there wasn't much work to bring them up to speed. The two flags needed some work as they are made out of metal foil (I think) and were showing a lot of wear. A couple of spots of superglue to strengthen the flags and secure them to the figures followed by a quick lick of paint to brighten them up and they looked fine.
italians1.jpg
italians2.jpg
italians3.jpg

Lined up for this week - sorting out a couple of model buildings (one is for a friend's English Civil War collection) and a box of model trees I'd forgotten about and found on a shelf at work...

Latest Threads