Military Modelling

LS, I remember these and had a few. Colt Python - 8 inch, 44 Magnum, P38, Colt 1911, M16, and a Luger. There was also a small calibre auto but it was rubbish. The Luger mechanism wasn't that great either. I remember adding dad's fishing weights to the bullets to give then a bit of weight. I still have a couple of them somewhere.
Me too:
Walther P38
Browning Hi-Power.
Great fun and very realistic looking, especially with a very discrete and small amount of weathering.

I've been reading up and looking at the Type 45 models.

A LOT of people seem concerned/confused by the 'spikes' on the 'Sampson' radar and at the top of the main-mast. My last job was on the Type 45 Project, so I can tell you categorically that they are not HF aerials, nor indeed aerials of any type.

They are quite simply - lightning conductors.

As part of the overall early design process there was a study on the potential for damage to the main-mast and radar from a lightning strike. Simply put, an imaginary 'ball' of a specific size was 'rolled' over the model of the ship and from this the areas that needed protection were identified and the conductor positioning decided.
Bet the Russians were scratching their heads for a while on what they were. In the 70s they were fascinated by the strange cones seen on T42s and Leander's.
1634198131628.png
turmed out they were only weather covers for standard UHF/VHF Ariel's.

ches

LE
Me too:
Walther P38
Browning Hi-Power.
Great fun and very realistic looking, especially with a very discrete and small amount of weathering.

Going back a bit further there were some early spring fired airsoft 1:1 kits in the 80s, dunno who made them but when the last dirty harry film came out (with the .44 automag) the company released a tie in. I was over the water at the time & the gaffer used unit funds to buy a half dozen BHP kits that were used for vehicle debuss drills......as well as by us dicking about when the grown ups had left us alone. Stuck together with super glue they worked alright for a few weeks of squaddie fondling.

Never having been to a model show, is it worth bothering, I know there may be some individuals with bodily hygiene issues and an unhealthy interest in the number of rivets to be found on Liberty Ships :).

Are there any worthwhile kit purchases available at sensible prices or is it all jus tat.

It is not far from me so I wouldn’t have to make a particular effort to go but don’t want to stop washing if it’s not worthwhile, any advice would be welcome.

Never having been to a model show, is it worth bothering, I know there may be some individuals with bodily hygiene issues and an unhealthy interest in the number of rivets to be found on Liberty Ships :).

Are there any worthwhile kit purchases available at sensible prices or is it all jus tat.

It is not far from me so I wouldn’t have to make a particular effort to go but don’t want to stop washing if it’s not worthwhile, any advice would be welcome.
Wear an old style NBC suit and respirator. While running around the show shouting GAS,GAS, GAS….
You should be safe enough then!…..:cool:

I have found shows to be a decent source of older kits and occasional oddities. The rivet counters really get on my wick. The Crewe show sometimes have a tie in with reenactor groups, and I managed to seriously piss one of them off as my knowledge (and experience) of 'THAT' rifle far exceeded his own.

Daz

LE

It depends, sometimes you can snag a bargain, other times there's other reasons to go, in the case, it's a museum I've never been too

It depends, sometimes you can snag a bargain, other times there's other reasons to go, in the case, it's a museum I've never been too
Well I’ve decided I will give it a go, gives me an excuse to go for an open water swim at South Cerney first thing and drop in at the show/exhibition at about 1030 on the way home.

Dads203

Old-Salt
Sadly I have to inform you that you have just failed the first question in the Submariner's Application Test.

My uncle was a submariner for 28 years ( finished a CPO Stoker) and sod that for a giggle, I went on board HMS Turbulent for families day as I was on on leave at the same time she came in from patrol and I soon found out that life under the ocean waves was not for me. Being a pongo they really made me feel welcome with such warming names as "Tree" and "brown job" along with the good "old Pongo".
A few cans of CSB most of the interservice rivalries were soon dropped.

Repect to all that served or are serving on HM Submarines

I can highly recommend the museum and it's just up the road. As may be expected, Wifey has arranged other things which I have been volunteered for :(

Well I visited the IPMS show at Lyneham today, a variety of models on display most seemed well presented without excessive weathering, couple of stalls selling kits and paints etc, quite liked the way they were all distributed about the museum rather than crammed into one room.

I fitted in well having come straight from an open water swim sans shower.

Picked up this for £25

1634406272235.png

Would I go to another show, probably now I have a better idea as to what to expect, also didn’t feel intimidated in terms of my builds not quite there but within sight.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
In all honesty most shows are a mixed bag of talent, and you shouldn't really worry. The real problem is rivet counting no marks, who pick the most dubious of holes in everything, with no sign of their own work on display

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
In all honesty most shows are a mixed bag of talent, and you shouldn't really worry. The real problem is rivet counting no marks, who pick the most dubious of holes in everything, with no sign of their own work on display
The first time I’ve found myself agreeing with Hitler!

Daz

LE
Well I visited the IPMS show at Lyneham today, a variety of models on display most seemed well presented without excessive weathering, couple of stalls selling kits and paints etc, quite liked the way they were all distributed about the museum rather than crammed into one room.

I fitted in well having come straight from an open water swim sans shower.

Picked up this for £25

View attachment 610209

Would I go to another show, probably now I have a better idea as to what to expect, also didn’t feel intimidated in terms of my builds not quite there but within sight.
The scattering around the models is quite common for shows held in museums......IPMS Telford on the other hand :)