Military Modelling

How on earth did he get hold of that? I thought they weren't released?
Haven’t a clue, but will ask him when I next see him.
Can’t find the article I got it from, but it was a on line modelling magazine, when reading it and can’t be sure if it was correct. But they wrote that this would be the first large scale Mk1a to be produced since 1969. Personally that don’t sound right, but heyho, I’ll not dispute it!

Chef

LE
Haven’t a clue, but will ask him when I next see him.
Can’t find the article I got it from, but it was a on line modelling magazine, when reading it and can’t be sure if it was correct. But they wrote that this would be the first large scale Mk1a to be produced since 1969. Personally that don’t sound right, but heyho, I’ll not dispute it!
Would that be the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire?

Daz

LE
HK Models version, that did get released
I saw a 1/32nd Lanc at the Huddersfield/Halifax show a couple of years ago. I think it was 1/32, it was fracking huuuge.

I think he was implying the lane was a wingnutwings one, which is why I asked where he got it. There were pre production models cast, might be one of those.

ive got a HK Lanc and it’s huge!

Daz

LE
A mixed bag tonight...

1/144 scale Marder 1 IFV. It's nearly finished - just the cam net and stowage to fit now. Hope to get it away for casting company for moulding up next week.

marder 6.jpg
marder 7.jpg
marder 8.jpg

28mm Sci fi space troopers. The first squadis more or less finished. I'm holding off on adding any rank/unit badges etc until I have finished all the basic uniforms etc.

Same with the bases - once theyare all painted I will work through the bases in one go to ensure tat they all look the same.
pdf1.jpg
pdf2.jpg
pdf3.jpg

One of my old gaming mates is putting a skirmish samurai game together (think Seven Samurai). He has given each member of our group a 28mm samurai figure to paint up as their character - this is my one (the cheeky buggers all said it looks like me as well ;)).

Not sure about the pose - it is unusual to stand in a left posture (ie left foot forward) when practising Japanese sword techniques. Usually the right foot is forward unless you have just completed a cut on the right and then stepped forward with the left foot and cut again. I suppose the samurai could be attacking.

samurai1.jpg

Mind you, as it happens I have a photo of me in the same posture training in the back garden during lockdown last year...

I don't really like the short trousers (typical of a Ronin) so I think I will dig out the modelling putty and give him a pair of long hakama trousers. I also need to add the saya (scabard) for the katana and the short sword to make him a proper samurai with a Daisho (matched pair of swords). It should be an interesting project :)
friburg 005a.jpg

samurai2.jpg
samurai3.jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A mixed bag tonight...

1/144 scale Marder 1 IFV. It's nearly finished - just the cam net and stowage to fit now. Hope to get it away for casting company for moulding up next week.

View attachment 604376View attachment 604377View attachment 604378

28mm Sci fi space troopers. The first squadis more or less finished. I'm holding off on adding any rank/unit badges etc until I have finished all the basic uniforms etc.

Same with the bases - once theyare all painted I will work through the bases in one go to ensure tat they all look the same.
View attachment 604379View attachment 604380View attachment 604381

One of my old gaming mates is putting a skirmish samurai game together (think Seven Samurai). He has given each member of our group a 28mm samurai figure to paint up as their character - this is my one (the cheeky buggers all said it looks like me as well ;)).

Not sure about the pose - it is unusual to stand in a left posture (ie left foot forward) when practising Japanese sword techniques. Usually the right foot is forward unless you have just completed a cut on the right and then stepped forward with the left foot and cut again. I suppose the samurai could be attacking.

View attachment 604382
Mind you, as it happens I have a photo of me in the same posture training in the back garden during lockdown last year...

I don't really like the short trousers (typical of a Ronin) so I think I will dig out the modelling putty and give him a pair of long hakama trousers. I also need to add the saya (scabard) for the katana and the short sword to make him a proper samurai with a Daisho (matched pair of swords). It should be an interesting project :)
View attachment 604400
View attachment 604383View attachment 604384

Will you thin the sword down? Looks far too chunky at present.

A mixed bag tonight...

View attachment 604376View attachment 604377View attachment 604378

View attachment 604379View attachment 604380View attachment 604381

View attachment 604382

View attachment 604400
View attachment 604383View attachment 604384

and don't forget the Nike logo on his shoes.

Will you thin the sword down? Looks far too chunky at present.
Well spotted - it is way too thick... :)

I have been wondering about that. I probably will but it might be a bit fragile once it has been pruned back. I'm going to have a root around at work and see if we have any thin brass sheet or strip which can be filed into shape.

If anyone wants to do a diorama with a difference, I’ve a friend who’s still serving in RTR. This baby is a gate guardian going for restoration, but this one hasn’t been stripped internally, engine, gearbox, brakes, all turret kit minus radios and breechblock. Everything in the drivers hole is still there.
CFC0BD30-260B-4595-8970-20E0132822CA.jpg
8D9EE194-3534-4782-BE61-3171BADC5A29.jpg
4F576FE5-7DEE-45AE-8063-CAD54911586D.jpg
3F7FEE72-1289-4C32-BEAA-345720344855.jpeg
1BE889CE-120E-4086-86F2-36EF783D65E5.jpeg

A mixed bag tonight...

Marder 1, Nice looking vehicle, and you've cracked the look of it, remember looking in the back of one of those and going back to my 432 and asking myself....... Why?

SS United States, sat for a few years at Philadelphia dock, silently forgotten and rusting away, a shadow of her Glory years before the Climate changing- cut price ticket- air travel changed things. Despite that what a great Modelling subject, haven't made a rusty ship for a while.
just got myself the Revell one in 1/600.
box art d.jpg

PFGEN

GCM
Shiny arrse decal syndrome.

Having some issues here with Tamiya decals (not the first time either). Working on a large scale Spitfire, painted on the main roundels etc and it looks authentic. Now adding the decals that I can't paint. Before I wreck all the previous work I decided to test some things on man area that's not in full view. Results haven't been great.

Initial prep was a gloss coat of varnish. Now given that last time I seemed to have the gloss coat shine through the decals I decided to add a matt coat on the top of it. Decal applied, dried and matted over with Mg-Ammo's ultra-matt which would normally matt anything....except decals. Arrrrghhh. Now considering painting a filter over the top which wouldn't look out of place but still to decide.

Now taken out the first matt coat to leave gloss-decal-matt. That solved nothing.

Anybody else hit tis problem with Tamiya's decals? They do seem to be thicker than others and as a result can take a lot of punishment. I'm now trying to source some other decals but I suspect that isn't the answer to my problem.

Latest Threads