Military Modelling

that first one of the Soldier and the wounded horse, did he take that from the painting "goodbye faithful friend"

I thought that was a WWI subject, while the diorama is Victorian. Not that it couldn't have provided the inspiration.

went and got one, after so not so negative comments about it here from those in the know, had a quick look and I'm looking forward to making this. I'll do it banking hard over to port on a wingtip, to save space.
aaa box art me109 g.jpg

that first one of the Soldier and the wounded horse, did he take that from the painting "goodbye faithful friend"
That I can’t answer, but he’d amassed a large collection of WW1 books. It’s called this:-
AC252A92-5005-4EDC-997B-1E34ED7316AA.jpeg

I think it represents a French dragoon of 1914, before bleu d'horizon uniforms and Adrian helmets.
Correct as it’s a converted a Historex Napoleonic Dragoon.
That must've hurt!
That is one my favourites, done by Dad (Len Burrell). It’s so evocative and moving, makes you feel cold just looking at it.

PFGEN

GCM
I tried oils once on the old Airfix 54mm Cuirassier. It did look very good but IIRC it took ages to dry. No doubt I wasn't doing it right :)

I find the long time in drying to be an advantage. My painting skills aren't that good and it's an advantage that I can come back and blend in other colours to correct stuff or add different shades. It also gives it a more natural end result.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I find the long time in dying to be an advantage. My painting skills aren't that good and it's an advantage that I can come back and blend in other colours to correct stuff or add different shades. It also gives it a more natural end result.
Me too, it's also handy for faces to blend in things like reddened cheeks and stubble, etc.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I find the long time in dying to be an advantage. My painting skills aren't that good and it's an advantage that I can come back and blend in other colours to correct stuff or add different shades. It also gives it a more natural end result.
I think you probably meant "drying", although some of the posters on here could benefit from a short, sharp, but painful death!

I thought that was the opposite to acrylics. They dry so quickly, you hardly have chance to blend them. I thin mine 50/50 which gives a longer drying time. I still don't think you can beat oils for that sheen on horses. Acrylic Satin varnish is ok but too hit and miss.

You probably were. Oils are known for long hardening times. Allegedly, some paints never do, and must be carefully varnished.
I doubt that applies to modern oils.

Your probably right. When I started modelmaking it was Humbrol enamels, with the occaisional pot of Testor's if you were lucky.

Look at how paints have come on over the last 40 years with the use of acrylics, inks etc. I would be very surprised if artists oils haven't also developed as well.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
222 primed now, next step is some Dunkelgelb or whatever they call it:

6D284EBB-1D46-42FB-9DF7-36405E9F47DA.jpeg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
New Group Build commencing 1st July 2021
African Desert War build is all but over now, with a couple of stragglers limping along in the distance. This has prompted an appraisal of what to do next. @Helm and I have decided upon a new Group Build starting on 1 July 2021. This should hopefully enable those modellers who have not finished their Desert War models towards completion.
The sticky will be up on 1 July and the subject is (drum roll please) The German/Russian War 1941-1945. The topic was chosen because there is scope for Aircraft, Tanks, Trucks, Figures and even Ships.
So, get your thinking caps on and let's see what you can do!

Latest Threads