Military Modelling

maritime

Old-Salt
Not a military subject but I liked this promo pic of a new model of an infant's school for OO gauge railway layouts.

Look at the attention to detail - particularly all the cars parked on the double yellow lines around the school :)

gm485.jpg
Just need to add the litter and dog muck

It's by Gaugemaster, down at Ford on the south coast. Here's the link:

Gaugemaster 00 Infant School
Gaugemaster structures and buildings

They do a nice range of buildings and structures in 00 scale, mainly for British outline, but very reasonably priced when compared to the Faller products.
Ah! I've seen their earlier buildings. Weren't they former Triang or Hornby Dublo products? Some of them would have been tempting if my layout were ever started.

Ah! I've seen their earlier buildings. Weren't they former Triang or Hornby Dublo products? Some of them would have been tempting if my layout were ever started.

Not sure about the OO models but they did buy up the old Kestrel range of N scale buildings and have been revamping and expanding them.

I remember Gaugemaster stuff from the 80's. IIRC they also did train control kit too.

They are still going strong and even expanding. They are a nice company to deal with. My parents used to live about 10 miles away in Worthing. I had to call in and pick up some stuff from Gaugemaster one weekend while visiting my mother so I took her along for a ride out. She commented on the huge range of items in the showroom and one of the sales managers gave us an impromtu tour of the place including the huge warehouse, packing department etc, explaining to my mum how they did everything.

Mum loved it! :)

Always a pleasure to do business with Gaugemaster and we are on first name terms with a lot of their sales staff. Just had a delivery in from today in fact - a big box of trees and scenic materials, a couple of bits for my Japanese N scale layout, plus this:

fa232545.jpg

A nice little industrial unit - it will be based up and used as west German scenery for my 1/144scale NATO/WPACT wargames...

By way of a change I've been assembling the "Sisters of Faith" sci fi space nun models I acquired last week. These are not really up to Games Workshop production standards, are rather fiddly to put together, and do not include an instruction sheet, but once I'd figured out the best sequence in which to assemble them the only real problem has been my fumble fingers...

Anyway - work in progress...

The bases that came with the models were really too small so I have mounted them on 30mm diameter bases laser cut from 2mm MFD. On foot from each model has been drilled and pinned and then they have been stuck in place with superglue. The mould lines have also been scraped down where possible.
sor 1.jpg

Next step is to fit the dangly, skirty things from the waistline. These are moulded in various positions rather than just hanging straight down which will give a sense of movement on the finished models

Edited to add that I have just spotted a 15mm Napoleon hanging around in the background :)
sor 2.jpg

A couple of heavy weapon gals - giant belt fed things...
The weapons were a bugger to fit to the models as the arms are seperate pieces, with the gun hand being moulded onto the weapon. The left hand, gripping the handle on the top of the gun is another seperate piece and it is quite tricky to get everything lined up and glued in place with out getting either solvent or fingerprints everywhere. I was pleasantly surprised however that when they were fully set the apparently fragile joints appeared quite solid.
sor 3.jpg

More heavy weapons
sor 4.jpg

This one is a squad leader and is provisionally entitled "C'mon FFS! He's only a heretic... KILL HIM!!!"
sor 5.jpg

The Inquisitor. It's cast in a very light coloured resin and the detail only really shows up in close up. A light grey primer should bring out the detail better for painting. I may add a holstered pistol to her weaponry before priming.
sor 6.jpg
sor 7.jpg

Aother squadleader with a "Flock of Seagulls" 80's style haircut... :cool:
sor 8.jpg

...and a very large chainsword
sor 9.jpg

Once all the figures areassembled to this level (ie with back pack, weapons and heads) then I will go over each one carefully, fill any gaps, clean up any rough bits and add the final details from the kit - religious items, extra weapons etc and have root around in my mate's sci-fi bits box for any useful items to add to the figures (the chainsword is one of his). Then it will be on to priming and painting. I have only got 6 of the 20 to this stage so far so it will be at least another week or two to do the other 14.

After three months of almost non-stop 15mm Napeolonics and 1/144 scale armour I am quite enjoying the brea to work on these. Not really military modelling I guess but I'm having fun which is what it all comes down to really...

By way of a change I've been assembling the "Sisters of Faith" sci fi space nun models I acquired last week. These are not really up to Games Workshop production standards, are rather fiddly to put together, and do not include an instruction sheet, but once I'd figured out the best sequence in which to assemble them the only real problem has been my fumble fingers...

Anyway - work in progress...

The bases that came with the models were really too small so I have mounted them on 30mm diameter bases laser cut from 2mm MFD. On foot from each model has been drilled and pinned and then they have been stuck in place with superglue. The mould lines have also been scraped down where possible.
View attachment 580601

Next step is to fit the dangly, skirty things from the waistline. These are moulded in various positions rather than just hanging straight down which will give a sense of movement on the finished models

Edited to add that I have just spotted a 15mm Napoleon hanging around in the background :)
View attachment 580602

A couple of heavy weapon gals - giant belt fed things...
The weapons were a bugger to fit to the models as the arms are seperate pieces, with the gun hand being moulded onto the weapon. The left hand, gripping the handle on the top of the gun is another seperate piece and it is quite tricky to get everything lined up and glued in place with out getting either solvent or fingerprints everywhere. I was pleasantly surprised however that when they were fully set the apparently fragile joints appeared quite solid.
View attachment 580603

More heavy weapons
View attachment 580604

This one is a squad leader and is provisionally entitled "C'mon FFS! He's only a heretic... KILL HIM!!!"
View attachment 580605
The Inquisitor. It's cast in a very light coloured resin and the detail only really shows up in close up. A light grey primer should bring out the detail better for painting. I may add a holstered pistol to her weaponry before priming.
View attachment 580606View attachment 580607

Aother squadleader with a "Flock of Seagulls" 80's style haircut... :cool:
View attachment 580608

...and a very large chainsword
View attachment 580609

Once all the figures areassembled to this level (ie with back pack, weapons and heads) then I will go over each one carefully, fill any gaps, clean up any rough bits and add the final details from the kit - religious items, extra weapons etc and have root around in my mate's sci-fi bits box for any useful items to add to the figures (the chainsword is one of his). Then it will be on to priming and painting. I have only got 6 of the 20 to this stage so far so it will be at least another week or two to do the other 14.

After three months of almost non-stop 15mm Napeolonics and 1/144 scale armour I am quite enjoying the brea to work on these. Not really military modelling I guess but I'm having fun which is what it all comes down to really...
They are excellent though curious how you are going to fix the nipple rings on such a small scale . . . . . . . . . . they do have nipple rings right? :)

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Another 90 mm figure, this time from El Greco miniatures and entitled "The Marauder". This figure is a real but for the spares box as there are two heads, three helmets, four arms, half a dozen weapons and a fistfull of arrows! The photos show his cloak edged in blue, this is a light trick and is in fact burnt red.

IMG_20210611_214402.jpg
IMG_20210611_214728.jpg

IMG_20210611_214644.jpg

All colours used were by Vallejo acrylics. The cloak and tunic are Burnt Red, the Leggings are Royal Blue, the undershirt is Deck Fan and the chain mail is done in Oily Steel. All leather is done in Orange Brown and then dry-brushed with Khaki. Metal ornamentation is done with Bronze with a light Dry-brushing of Gold. The Sword blade, spear point and arrow-heads were given a coat of Gunmetal, followed by a light touch of Silver. The shield inner was coated in Sky Grey and then washed with Black. The shield face was underscored in sand and then coloured Red, Golden Yellow and Purple; signifying the social rank and family of the chieftain.
the face was based in Light Base with a Medium Flesh blended into it. The eyes were highlighted with burnt number (top) and Salmon Rose underneath. To add depth, I washed the face with Sepia ink. The hair was Iraqi Sand followed by dry-brushing Orange Brown and a finish wash of Light Orange.
This, I think, is my best model to date and I am well-chuffed with it!

Attachments

• IMG_20210611_214241.jpg
    IMG_20210611_214241.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 3

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As you should be @Smeggers. Stunning bit of work.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Another 90 mm figure, this time from El Greco miniatures and entitled "The Marauder". This figure is a real but for the spares box as there are two heads, three helmets, four arms, half a dozen weapons and a fistfull of arrows! The photos show his cloak edged in blue, this is a light trick and is in fact burnt red.

View attachment 580696View attachment 580697
View attachment 580698
All colours used were by Vallejo acrylics. The cloak and tunic are Burnt Red, the Leggings are Royal Blue, the undershirt is Deck Fan and the chain mail is done in Oily Steel. All leather is done in Orange Brown and then dry-brushed with Khaki. Metal ornamentation is done with Bronze with a light Dry-brushing of Gold. The Sword blade, spear point and arrow-heads were given a coat of Gunmetal, followed by a light touch of Silver. The shield inner was coated in Sky Grey and then washed with Black. The shield face was underscored in sand and then coloured Red, Golden Yellow and Purple; signifying the social rank and family of the chieftain.
the face was based in Light Base with a Medium Flesh blended into it. The eyes were highlighted with burnt number (top) and Salmon Rose underneath. To add depth, I washed the face with Sepia ink. The hair was Iraqi Sand followed by dry-brushing Orange Brown and a finish wash of Light Orange.
This, I think, is my best model to date and I am well-chuffed with it!
Got this in my grey army it is a cracking piece, it was originally from War Griffon Miniatures
Hadn't realised El Greco stocked MDP stuff, interesting. done a nice job of that one Smeggers

Got this in my grey army it is a cracking piece, it was originally from War Griffon Miniatures
Hadn't realised El Greco stocked MDP stuff, interesting. done a nice job of that one Smeggers

Some quality sculpts on that link. I like the Viking with the great axe...