Military Modelling

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I have just had to Google that book. Now have one on order.
It’s the funniest and most accurate book ever about growing up in the 60s!

Last edited:
Have you read ‘Achtung Schweinhund’?

You are Harry Pearson and I claim my Hinton Hunt 20mm Cuirassier!

I have a copy. I made my wife read it.

I caught her giving me "that look" several times as she read it.

However, despite the similarities, any resemblance between myself and the author is purely coincidental...

I did do several exercises at the ones near SPTA and at Catterick...

Getting paid to play wargames... :)
I did one of the computer-based ones at Fort Halstead - I found it utterly fascinating whilst others whinged about being bored.

I did one of the computer-based ones at Fort Halstead - I found it utterly fascinating whilst others whinged about being bored.

I did one of those ones as well - late 1981 IIRC. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was teamed up with an RA major to target WPACT 2nd echelon reinforcements before they reached the front lines. I picked out the routes they were using via the surveillance system under evaluation (JSTARS or something) and ID'd the targets and he sent in the airstrikes to take them out.

I did one of those ones as well - late 1981 IIRC. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was teamed up with an RA major to target WPACT 2nd echelon reinforcements before they reached the front lines. I picked out the routes they were using via the surveillance system under evaluation (JSTARS or something) and ID'd the targets and he sent in the airstrikes to take them out.
I was teamed up with an AAC Capt who was doing JOTES, or some other officers promotion thing, so I was left to run the entire aviation war all by my own self :D

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I must be one of the very few modellers who didn't like it, to me he just came across as a bit of a prick for some reason.
He loses me towards the end but his honest descriptions of growing up were hilarious. His adult life as a wargamer showcased the odder aspects which (most) people grow out of.

Daz

LE
Might be of interest to some on here

Might be of interest to some on here

Been following Beacon Models since they emerged at the back end of last year. I sincerely hope their Kickstarter campaign is successful, as their prototypes look very high quality, and they're looking at doing some interesting subjects, like a (hopefully) decent 1/144 BP Defiant.

. Juan Villegas has done breathtaking work painting these!

file.php

Banner 06.jpg

Last edited:
Been following Beacon Models since they emerged at the back end of last year. I sincerely hope their Kickstarter campaign is successful, as their prototypes look very high quality, and they're looking at doing some interesting subjects, like a (hopefully) decent 1/144 BP Defiant.

. Juan Villegas has done breathtaking work painting these!​

file.php

Banner 06.jpg
Get to f….
That’s batshit crazy

Get to f….
That’s batshit crazy

Nope, that's '1/72 with 1/4 of the footprint' for storage.

I've been downsizing for a few years now. If you want 'batshit crazy' you need to see what some incredibly talented (and well-sighted) people are doing in 1/350 and 1/700!

Last edited:

Daz

LE

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
What’s the opinion on the old Monogram 1/32 and 1/48 aircraft kits - any good? Couple of good lots coming up at auction.

What’s the opinion on the old Monogram 1/32 and 1/48 aircraft kits - any good? Couple of good lots coming up at auction.

From (not so recent) experience, I'd say they were ok for their time. If unique subjects then great (or cheap enough to allow for the premium for after-market upgrades), but there are probably better cast and more accurate examples of most things on the market today.

Daz

LE

Latest Threads