Military Modelling

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Airfix 1/600 HMS Hood. Cut it off at the waterline and made a seascape. Something i have not attempted before and will try and develop the technique.
View attachment 565597
I think that’s excellent - I have a Hood or two somewhere in the stash...

Question for you - white smoke from the funnels?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
No explanation really. Didn't research that aspect properly, I will get it sorted out. Thanks for the feedback.
It was just a thought really, I seem to recall coal or oil fired warships would be belching tons of dark brown muck most of the time!

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Coal would produce lots of smoke, which Hood wasn't powered by. An oil fired warship moving at speed would seem to produce very little in the way of smoke. The steam would be recycled back into the steam system, very little would be lost to exhaust. Advice - remove the 'steam' from the funnels.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Or, move a bit more slowly!

7435806E-23D1-438D-ABBC-A810068CDCD5.jpeg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Seems there is a photo to support every opinion.
View attachment 566028
Modelling all over - I think you could pretty much do none, steam or brown clag, which is good.

Hood was a mighty good looking warship though (SWIDT?). There’s a good short video on Youtube showing her being built on the Clyde in WW1:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
So, the trial T64BV from @Rodney2q has a coat of paint:

11A8EDE3-31BC-489E-B6FA-83260BA10B48.jpeg

It now has some opposition:

D77B0AD5-462A-4B2D-82E0-BE39A6DDA4C1.jpeg
841D7831-BF43-4AD1-BD43-9C0E92C700A8.jpeg

8113C471-7727-4535-9098-D871EE5451EA.jpeg

so, next steps are to detail, ink wash and dry brush the T64 followed by painting the Chiefy.

Once I’m happy with the results I need to set up a line!8O8O8O

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The old school Naval heavy metal has a certain air of power and awesomeness that today's lightweight wonders just can't match...

541ee53692f9ba16a18bfb8d6d2af85b.jpg

HMS_Benbow-BG-1024x462.jpg

020-grand-fleet-at-sea-1984_640.jpg
‘Castles of Steel’!

found this old, old figure set by Bandai at an outdoor jumble sale today, I asked the bloke how much and he said £3, the figures are sealed in their bag, box is a bit scratch, but I'm not a collector. Always handy to get different figures.
German Sappers Bandai.jpg

lert

LE
found this old, old figure set by Bandai at an outdoor jumble sale today, I asked the bloke how much and he said £3, the figures are sealed in their bag, box is a bit scratch, but I'm not a collector. Always handy to get different figures.
View attachment 566442
Unpossible. They can't be Sappers. They should all be playing Euchre.

Also, is it me or does the chap on the right with the small knockometer look a bit sporting? Sort of hammering at the sprint as it were.

Looks to me the chap who sculpted the figures had no idea what sappers really do... :)

For the 10mm engineer packs in my Cold War models we had the sculptor produce figures based on photos and each pack contains:

NCO type waving his arms around and pointing at things
Bloke with a mine detector walking along trying not to blow himself up
Bloke prepping dems kit
Bloke carrying stuff (bangalore torpedoes, PE4 boxes etc)

lert

LE
Looks to me the chap who sculpted the figures had no idea what sappers really do... :)

For the 10mm engineer packs in my Cold War models we had the sculptor produce figures based on photos and each pack contains:

NCO type waving his arms around and pointing at things
Bloke with a mine detector walking along trying not to blow himself up
Bloke prepping dems kit
Bloke carrying stuff (bangalore torpedoes, PE4 boxes etc)
You missed the blokes playing Euchre.

And the blokes building a bar.

And the blokes playing Euchre in the bar.

Apart from that, spot on.

Latest Threads