Military Modelling

Daz

LE
Randy Bumgardner says the Trumpeter kit fuselage is too short.
Randy Baumgardner is a former legislator in the U.S. state of Colorado. Elected to the Colorado House of Representatives as a Republican in 2008, he won election to the Colorado Senate in 2012. He represented Senate District 8, which encompasses Garfield, Grand, Jackson, Moffat, Rio Blanco, Routt, and Summit Counties

Odd, it fails to list model making as one of his interests

Well, that was a disastrous weekend at the bench. Finished building a Tamiya Chieftan Friday evening. Primed on Saturday morning, then the afternoon airbrushed with Tamiya XF5 + XF61, vision blocks & lamps painted. Clear coat applied (X22) with airbrush Sunday morning, with a view to decals in the afternoon. The clear coat didn’t look to have covered that well come the afternoon, so I listened to the little voice in my head that said “just give it a couple more light coats”.
Having looked at it now, it seems the X22 has somewhat ‘diluted’ the original colour scheme into one dark mess. The way I see it, I have a few options, 1) completely strip and re-prime and re-paint from scratch, 2) re-paint and hope the paint keys on the varnish, 3) it will tone down with a final matte coat or 4)consign it to the shelf of doom and use it as a test piece.
Anyone else had a similar problem and if so, how was it overcome?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Well, that was a disastrous weekend at the bench. Finished building a Tamiya Chieftan Friday evening. Primed on Saturday morning, then the afternoon airbrushed with Tamiya XF5 + XF61, vision blocks & lamps painted. Clear coat applied (X22) with airbrush Sunday morning, with a view to decals in the afternoon. The clear coat didn’t look to have covered that well come the afternoon, so I listened to the little voice in my head that said “just give it a couple more light coats”.
Having looked at it now, it seems the X22 has somewhat ‘diluted’ the original colour scheme into one dark mess. The way I see it, I have a few options, 1) completely strip and re-prime and re-paint from scratch, 2) re-paint and hope the paint keys on the varnish, 3) it will tone down with a final matte coat or 4)consign it to the shelf of doom and use it as a test piece.
View attachment 555442View attachment 555444

You could try a coat of Satin gloss maybe?

View attachment 555442View attachment 555444

It certainly doesn't look right. How easy is it to strip it back and start again?

However, just to annoy you here's some of my Chieftains - pics taken on saturday... ;)

Basic coat and black stripes. The black is actually a mix of black and dark grey acrylic paint, thinned with water and black acrylic ink. The weathering should tone the black down a bit more. Details were picked out with a dark brown/black wash before the green and black areas were touched in.
chieftains1.jpg

Turrets... the cam nets, tarps and thermal sleeves will be painted at a later stage.
chieftains2.jpg

Thermal sleeves added in various shades of drab brown, khaki and olive green after which they had a dark brown wash. The glossy sheen will fade once the wash is dry.
chieftains3.jpg

Hulls - the tracks have been painted dirt colour, drybrush silver to pick up the details and a dark brown wash added to blend it all together.
chieftains4.jpg

Waiting in the wings - 432s, 438 Swingfires and a few Spartans and Strikers
432setc1.jpg

Strikers...
strikers1.jpg

I plan on getting the Chieftains finished by the end of this week - so more pics to follow... :)

Current work in progress...

wip1.jpg

It certainly doesn't look right. How easy is it to strip it back and start again?

However, just to annoy you here's some of my Chieftains - pics taken on saturday... ;)

Basic coat and black stripes. The black is actually a mix of black and dark grey acrylic paint, thinned with water and black acrylic ink. The weathering should tone the black down a bit more. Details were picked out with a dark brown/black wash before the green and black areas were touched in.
View attachment 555528

Turrets... the cam nets, tarps and thermal sleeves will be painted at a later stage.
View attachment 555530

Thermal sleeves added in various shades of drab brown, khaki and olive green after which they had a dark brown wash. The glossy sheen will fade once the wash is dry.
View attachment 555531

Hulls - the tracks have been painted dirt colour, drybrush silver to pick up the details and a dark brown wash added to blend it all together.
View attachment 555532

View attachment 555533

Strikers...
View attachment 555535

I plan on getting the Chieftains finished by the end of this week - so more pics to follow... :)

View attachment 555536
Sublime!

Daz

LE
Uhmmmmmmm, length of pipe, some fireworks and turn it into a range wreck, a box of these should provide enough rounds :)
1605.jpg

ches

LE
Every time i see one of @Rodney2q 's bloody posts it gives me an itch to start wargaming again. I quite like being married (most of the time) so there is no way i could work a collection of teeny weeny tanks & AFV's into my repertoire of geek stuff. Can we ban him for a while, he's just a tease.

Daz

LE
Every time i see one of @Rodney2q 's bloody posts it gives me an itch to start wargaming again. I quite like being married (most of the time) so there is no way i could work a collection of teeny weeny tanks & AFV's into my repertoire of geek stuff. Can we ban him for a while, he's just a tease.
I'd have him banned for his ability to see past the end of his nose :)

Statistics

War Hero

View attachment 555528

View attachment 555530

View attachment 555531

View attachment 555532

View attachment 555533

Strikers...
View attachment 555535

View attachment 555536

You must have eyes like a shithouse rat!!!! 20/20 !

View attachment 555528

View attachment 555530

View attachment 555531

View attachment 555532

View attachment 555533

Strikers...
View attachment 555535

View attachment 555536
Beautiful work. Which plans are you using for your Chieftains, and do you know if the source also has plans for the mark 2?

wwymtK4DL6kbDSlBpjU54qFl_1pV5JEUpM9e4sF4xRO6fM5Bdfh-guNXO9opXt-PNT0MrN3nvyuVC4Ea4aMNVMfZOS3LyCdQ-K9pGA

;-)

Beautiful work. Which plans are you using for your Chieftains, and do you know if the source also has plans for the mark 2?

Thanks

I used these books as the primary sources - the Terry Ganderbooks have some very good 1/72 scale drawings. No specific plans for the Mk 2 but the Haynes and Griffin books cover the different marks in quite a bit of detail IIRC.

51z9jjHyvHL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

61JmniCa44L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51GkyKJpG8L._SX390_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51vIsHR56ML._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks

I used these books as the primary sources - the Terry Ganderbooks have some very good 1/72 scale drawings. No specific plans for the Mk 2 but the Haynes and Griffin books cover the different marks in quite a bit of detail IIRC.

51z9jjHyvHL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

61JmniCa44L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51GkyKJpG8L._SX390_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51vIsHR56ML._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

They are brilliant mate. I'm also now tempted to look at war gaming. At some point......

You must have eyes like a shithouse rat!!!! 20/20 !

Sadly I am struggling a bit at the moment - I have to use three pairs of specs. One for general use, one for close in and one for the computer.

I really need to get a checkup at the opticians as I suspect I need some new goggles...

They are brilliant mate. I'm also now tempted to look at war gaming. At some point......

Thanks.

Depending on what you want to do drop me a PM first as I may be able to help with some advice etc.