Military Modelling

Daz

LE
On my FB Marketplace, there’s a bloke sell a number of Airfix 1/24 unopened Aircraft, namely 109 E, Hurricane Mk1, P51D.
He wants £65 for the Hurricane, is the kit any good.
No

Daz

LE
So what’s actually wrong with it and is the Mustang just as bad?
Its a very old kit, 1973, that's been repop'd yet again. ask yourself, how much time & money are you willing yo spend upgrading a lump of plastic

Its a very old kit, 1973, that's been repop'd yet again. ask yourself, how much time & money are you willing yo spend upgrading a lump of plastic
Wasn't Airfix itself selling them off for about 20 notes a couple of years ago?

Daz

LE
Wasn't Airfix itself selling them off for about 20 notes a couple of years ago?
There were flogging off old stock of cheaply a while back, some of them ended up in The Works, but that was a few years ago

There were flogging off old stock of cheaply a while back, some of them ended up in The Works, but that was a few years ago
It looks like someone is trying to make a fast buck with old tat.

Same bloke seems to have acquired an old shops stock, he’s advertising in 24th a 109, P51, Hurricane, Harrier and the 1924 Bentley super charged car. Loads of 72 scale bagged aircraft.
16th Tamiya motorised Tiger 1.
Couple of 48 scale Revell P38 Lightening and P47 Thunderbolt Razorback.

On my FB Marketplace, there’s a bloke sell a number of Airfix 1/24 unopened Aircraft, namely 109 E, Hurricane Mk1, P51D.
He wants £65 for the Hurricane, is the kit any good.
I built that 1/24th scale Hurricane kit in 1980, it has a detailed engine compartment, cockpit and MG bays, fit of parts was an issue, it made up into an impressive model, but back then I had nothing else to compare it to, except a mate of mine in B Company was making the 1/24 Spitfire, with no engine detail. By todays standards you're going to be disappointed, but, as I said when I was building that old Airfix Crusader, a relatively bad model looks great with a good paint job.

@SPROCKET321
Go on do it!
Impressive, must have been a heart thumping it's last beats, a hair raising experience to say the least, great facial expression, but I'd never get that in the cockpit of a 1/32. Mind you, scale jokes aside, it would make a great companion piece to a Crashing plane Diorama.

I didn't want to use a Zecki/Zero for this project, even though some Zeros flew Kamikaze missions, so I've ordered this, 1/32 Ki43, I'm thinking of converting this rather than building a Kiel craft type of ribs and spars kit, better to convert than build something like that. The flaps and ailerons will be shot away, holes in the wings from front to back, damage to the fuselage as they were sometimes side on to the Destroyer screen as they came in heading for the flat tops.
box art.jpg

It seems that the Universe of 40K is missing the gentle touch of Sappers (REME were covered with my Atlas builds) I figured I had to do something to rectify that omission.
So it was off to Tinkercad to see what I could come up with.
My 40K Combat Engineering Tractor.
IMG_1573.JPG

And Armoured Vehicle Engineers:
IMG_1554.JPG

I've a AVLB on the go on Tinkercad that I may get sorted before Easter depending how many more tweaks these two need.
Strangely I'm quite impressed by the pallets.

It seems that the Universe of 40K is missing the gentle touch of Sappers (REME were covered with my Atlas builds) I figured I had to do something to rectify that omission.
So it was off to Tinkercad to see what I could come up with.
My 40K Combat Engineering Tractor.View attachment 555199
And Armoured Vehicle Engineers:
View attachment 555201

I've a AVLB on the go on Tinkercad that I may get sorted before Easter depending how many more tweaks these two need.
Strangely I'm quite impressed by the pallets.
Try Googling " The Tread head thread", where there are lots of conversions, scratch builds, and pretty much every possible variation of tracked thing.

Posted this on the airbrush thread but may be useful here too....
B&M do a cheap turntable for the kitchen for £3. Its a shallow flat bowl but put a vice or a block in it and it's a cheap turntable. I bought one and it's quite good.
20210307_172822.jpg

Try Googling " The Tread head thread", where there are lots of conversions, scratch builds, and pretty much every possible variation of tracked thing.
I shall give it a look, though if its only going to give me ideas I may not find time to go to work.
I woke up at 5 thinking about the Samaritan armoured ambulance I've got on the virtual drawing board. :)

ches

LE
Same bloke seems to have acquired an old shops stock, he’s advertising in 24th a 109, P51, Hurricane, Harrier and the 1924 Bentley super charged car. Loads of 72 scale bagged aircraft.
16th Tamiya motorised Tiger 1.
Couple of 48 scale Revell P38 Lightening and P47 Thunderbolt Razorback.

I wouldn't touch anything of the old Airfix 1/24 stuff if its above £35. Loads of places seem to get stock from time to time & bung them out for about £25-£35 a pop. As said Works were selling some a year or two ago but ive also seen them pop up on a number of online model & toy sites as well as amazon. Keep any eye out. No way i'd pay £65 for the Hurri though - you can get one pf the excellent Trumpeter ones for a lot less.

I wouldn't touch anything of the old Airfix 1/24 stuff if its above £35. Loads of places seem to get stock from time to time & bung them out for about £25-£35 a pop. As said Works were selling some a year or two ago but ive also seen them pop up on a number of online model & toy sites as well as amazon. Keep any eye out. No way i'd pay £65 for the Hurri though - you can get one pf the excellent Trumpeter ones for a lot less.

Randy Bumgardner says the Trumpeter kit fuselage is too short.

Latest Threads