Military Modelling

Next project after the Tamiya Chieftain, will be a M3 Stuart lll. 2RTR took these to Burma during the retreat from the Japanese in 1942.
I’ve found three M3s Academy, Airfix and Tamiya, has anyone had any experience of building any of these please?
And 7th Hussars. 2nd RTR brought one back, called 'The Curse of Scotland'. It was shorn of its turret and transferred to the Indian 7th Light Cavalry, who took it back into Burma as their command tank.

And 7th Hussars. 2nd RTR brought one back, called 'The Curse of Scotland'. It was shorn of its turret and transferred to the Indian 7th Light Cavalry, who took it back into Burma as their command tank.
Since I posted that I’ve found out, we didn’t have Stuart llls but 2RTR and 7th Hussars had Stuart l.
I read about the Curse of Scotland, am I right in saying that the Indians still have it in a museum?

Daz

LE
Since I posted that I’ve found out, we didn’t have Stuart llls but 2RTR and 7th Hussars had Stuart l.
I read about the Curse of Scotland, am I right in saying that the Indians still have it in a museum?

I couldn't remember the mark but as they came from the desert Mk Is would be reasonable. I believe that it was saved and put in a museum after the war, dunno which one though.

ches

LE
I've had stuff from France, Germany and Holland recently with no probs.
Value <£120, duty paid by sender, otherwise by recipient at UK customs.
VAT charged at UK rate by sender (and presumably forwarded to HMRC)

Mate of mine has been screwed over with orders not being sent & those that have being stung more on duty. Number of EU retailers not sending stuff to UK.

Mate of mine has been screwed over with orders not being sent & those that have being stung more on duty. Number of EU retailers not sending stuff to UK.
The government here expects every trader everywhere in the world who sells stuff to the UK to register and pay VAT . That's why lots of traders (including a mate of mine based in France) no longer sell stuff to the UK

Is there a model out there that @SPROCKET321 has not done yet??
I've not made one of these...
Heller 2CV.jpg

The government here expects every trader everywhere in the world who sells stuff to the UK to register and pay VAT . That's why lots of traders (including a mate of mine based in France) no longer sell stuff to the UK
Except, that's complete doo doo, probably.

I bought a flight sim yoke from Germany, circ 200 Euro's. It was sold vat free. The courier (UPS in my case) paid the vat and agency charges and before they would release it, they paid the UK government and I had to pay them.
Guess what? It was £10 cheaper than if I would have bought it from any UK retailer.

Much of this nonsense is ignorance although there are a few EU retailers that are seeing what they can get away with.
As for your mate, unless they sell mountains of stuff to the UK, what possible reason would any retailer have for not declaring recovered vat from a customer?

My latest addition to the stash is going to be Epic. It's the full interior version of the Grant, I'm not building this for quite a few models yet, especially until 06FA56Paderborn's Grant build is complete that he started Jan 01. He's doing AM tracks on his, but I'll be OOB'ing this.
box top.jpg

even so, what a build this is going to be, it's a deep box full of sprue frames.
box full of parts.jpg

the instruction sheets are a book, over thirty pages, god knows what the parts count is?
instructions a.jpg

I made the Academy M3 kit some years back, showed it on here when these pages were just open fields. The main thing was the kit was based on the Lee, Radio next to the driver, madness. The Grants being in the turret as per British practice, the Miniart kit scores there, the layout is more accurate for the Grant inside.
Grant Defiance lll.jpg

I used the Eduard Interior and exterior sets, and Armoured Brigades gun, turret and canvas. Having spent shedloads, I was pleased with the end result.

My latest addition to the stash is going to be Epic. It's the full interior version of the Grant, I'm not building this for quite a few models yet, especially until 06FA56Paderborn's Grant build is complete that he started Jan 01. He's doing AM tracks on his, but I'll be OOB'ing this.
View attachment 552554
even so, what a build this is going to be, it's a deep box full of sprue frames.
View attachment 552556
the instruction sheets are a book, over thirty pages, god knows what the parts count is?
View attachment 552557
Do I take that as a hurry up on my build:)

Do I take that as a hurry up on my build:)
not in the least, I've got the Marder1 to finish and paint, the Indian wars Diorama to do, the R35 to paint, and the German infantry figures to make up and paint for the 1940 Diorama, and I have a 1/32 Eight Army Multipose with the 1/32 Airfix Crusader build to start make and finish for the Desert Group build. A German Battleship to finish and HMS Belfast to bring off the shelf of doom to finish off, then I can start the M3 Grant.

Daz

LE