Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Tempting, I know I want one. Spit, viper, toom then a tonka. That should take care of a few years,.... or a long weekend for Sprocket.
He did a 1/24 airfix Tiffie in a day.

and it really flew

Daz

LE
Due to delays and overrunning agreed timescales, I'd say they already employ @Simmerit :)

I started the Wokka when it was a CH-47-D. As I have progressed with the build, its gone through a few upgrade programmes its fair to say......

Chinook HC Mk4 / Mk5 / Mk6/6A[edit]​

Mk6 makes its first flight, June 2014

A programme to upgrade 46 Chinook Mk2/2A and Mk3 helicopters was initiated in December 2008. Called Project Julius, it includes new digital flight deck avionics based on the Thales TopDeck avionics suite, comprising new multifunction displays, a digital moving map display and an electronic flight bag, installation of a nose-mounted FLIR detector, and upgrading the engines to the more powerful T55-714 standard.[29] Upgraded Mk2/2A and Mk3 aircraft will be redesignated Mk4 and Mk5 respectively. Deliveries are expected to commence in 2011.[30] The first conversion, a Chinook HC Mk4, first flew on 9 December 2010.[31] Initial operating capability status was reached in June 2012 with seven aircraft delivered.[32]

The Chinook HC Mk6 designation has been assigned to the 24 (later reduced to 14) CH-47F-derived Chinooks ordered in 2009. In December 2015, the fourteenth and final MK 6 was delivered to the RAF.[33]

In July 2017, it was announced that the 38 Chinook HC4s are to be upgraded to a HC6A standard including the replacement of the analogue flight control systems with the Boeing Digital Automatic Flight Control System (DAFCS).[34]

I find it quite amazing how long front line airframes, seem to extended and extended again. For example the B52 BUFF, when the type is officially retired some of the airframes will be nearly a hundred years old. Some of our Chinooks must be around 35-40 years old by now!

I find it quite amazing how long front line airframes, seem to extended and extended again. For example the B52 BUFF, when the type is officially retired some of the airframes will be nearly a hundred years old. Some of our Chinooks must be around 35-40 years old by now!

An interesting contrast to the 'life expectancy' of cars, which seems to be far shorter now than previously.

I started the Wokka when it was a CH-47-D. As I have progressed with the build, its gone through a few upgrade programmes its fair to say......

Chinook HC Mk4 / Mk5 / Mk6/6A[edit]​

Mk6 makes its first flight, June 2014

A programme to upgrade 46 Chinook Mk2/2A and Mk3 helicopters was initiated in December 2008. Called Project Julius, it includes new digital flight deck avionics based on the Thales TopDeck avionics suite, comprising new multifunction displays, a digital moving map display and an electronic flight bag, installation of a nose-mounted FLIR detector, and upgrading the engines to the more powerful T55-714 standard.[29] Upgraded Mk2/2A and Mk3 aircraft will be redesignated Mk4 and Mk5 respectively. Deliveries are expected to commence in 2011.[30] The first conversion, a Chinook HC Mk4, first flew on 9 December 2010.[31] Initial operating capability status was reached in June 2012 with seven aircraft delivered.[32]

The Chinook HC Mk6 designation has been assigned to the 24 (later reduced to 14) CH-47F-derived Chinooks ordered in 2009. In December 2015, the fourteenth and final MK 6 was delivered to the RAF.[33]

In July 2017, it was announced that the 38 Chinook HC4s are to be upgraded to a HC6A standard including the replacement of the analogue flight control systems with the Boeing Digital Automatic Flight Control System (DAFCS).[34]
Did this upgrade plan involve the 8 mk3's that were delivered in 2001, but never flew due to software issues. IIRC they then languished in climate controlled hangers until the MOD decided to change them back to mk2/2a's.

After spending an additional £90 million on the conversion the idea was scrapped. I believe (I'm probably wrong) that they have been cannibalized to keep the existing fleet going.

Did this upgrade plan involve the 8 mk3's that were delivered in 2001, but never flew due to software issues. IIRC they then languished in climate controlled hangers until the MOD decided to change them back to mk2/2a's.

After spending an additional £90 million on the conversion the idea was scrapped. I believe (I'm probably wrong) that they have been cannibalized to keep the existing fleet going.

You are quite correct. That's exactly what happended

Well there it is all finished, although I might try to add the rigging lines sometime soon. I-15 Polikarpov also known as a Chato. Squadron 3a Spanish Republica Airforce, Barcelona 1938. (Oh and I still hate decals :) )
Fullscreen capture 25012021 123934.bmp.jpg

Well there it is all finished, although I might try to add the rigging lines sometime soon. I-15 Polikarpov also known as a Chato. Squadron 3a Spanish Republica Airforce, Barcelona 1938. (Oh and I still hate decals :) )
View attachment 542783
I was going to ask after the previous post but I see what you mean. ;)
Pin on a wet surface to move them around maybe?

Though it may just be crap decals, some of the GW stuff I've been adding to my creations have fallen off or been blown off when I tried to stick them with varnish.

yep seen a couple of builds and it looks stunning

you're moving forwards with modern kits and I'm ever moving backwards, I was inspired to buy the Matchbox Auto union racing car of the 1930's era, Revell have re released it and made a right mess of the fit, they tried to cut corners to make it cheaper to manufacture, unlike the actual race car, that won every race back then. Len Deighton in his book "blood Tears and Folly" has a page on it, he says don't look at the wood tank mockups on German exercises, if you want a idea of what was in the future of the Blitzkrieg, look to the racing circuit, with Auto Union and Mercedes, they formed what is now known as the racing team.

The matchbox kit goes for daft money now, £111 quid on e bay.

I was going to ask after the previous post but I see what you mean. ;)
Pin on a wet surface to move them around maybe?

Though it may just be crap decals, some of the GW stuff I've been adding to my creations have fallen off or been blown off when I tried to stick them with varnish.
The bigger ones are ok , but at 1/72 scale the smaller ones are extremely tricky to get into the right place without trashing them .

The bigger ones are ok , but at 1/72 scale the smaller ones are extremely tricky to get into the right place without trashing them .
I tend to place a small sponge in a tub of tepid water, one of the takeaway tubs you get with a Chineese takeaway is perfect, water just up to the top of the sponge, cut your tiny decals out and place them onto the sponge, they rest there until you grab them with the tweezers, they don't part from the backing paper leaving you trying to fish them out of the depths.

Latest Threads