Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
1/35 scale, not 1/32

1/32 scale, loads of A/M parts if that floats your boat, plus pilots etc. 1/35 is .........not an aircraft scale
Then there's the cunning idea of "clear parts", it was a stupid idea 50 years ago when Tamiya did it, its still a bloody stupid idea now.

Oh, and its a G6, the default offering for just about every kit maker who releases a Bf109G.... FFS, if their going to release an oddball scale, try something that's not released by every kit maker out there, G14 AS would on been interesting/tempting, this, despite being a 109 fan, leave me going meeeeeeeerhhhhh
So you aren't a fan then?

Daz

LE

Daz

LE
Well at least in this Scale, you can do a diorama using a 35th Kettenräd being used as an Aircraft tug.
Just a thought Daz, but saying that who’s silly idea was it to do Aircraft in 32nd and AFV/ figures in 35th.
Tamiya amongst others, mind you, they also did 1/50 scale aircraft at one stage
1/48 scale works as that covers both aircraft and groundpounders

Daz

LE
Look at it another way: when Tamiya started doing 1:48 scale armour there was an opportunity to mix it up with same-scale aviation subjects.

This is the same. I note that they're already talking about a 1:35 Ju-87.
I can see why they feel the new scale might work, but for me, it's of no interest ........and in theory, I'm the sort of person they're trying to attract,

Given the size of 1.32/1.35 scale aircraft, building huge dioramas mixing ground vehicles and aircraft would be a very small market due to space constraints ......and even then, there are very few vehicles that can be used, tanks and AFV's, on the whole, are right out of the frame, ground tractors and refuellers etc are not exactly thick on the ground, but they are the sort of vehicles which would be needed.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I can see why they feel the new scale might work, but for me, it's of no interest ........and in theory, I'm the sort of person they're trying to attract,

Given the size of 1.32/1.35 scale aircraft, building huge dioramas mixing ground vehicles and aircraft would be a very small market due to space constraints ......and even then, there are very few vehicles that can be used, tanks and AFV's, on the whole, are right out of the frame, ground tractors and refuellers etc are not exactly thick on the ground, but they are the sort of vehicles which would be needed.
Kettenrad, Kubelwagen, Horches, Opel Blitz... I get your point but there are options.

Daz

LE
Kettenrad, Kubelwagen, Horches, Opel Blitz... I get your point but there are options.
I'm not saying there are not options, however, better options are available on a smaller scale unless you nick Si's piano ....... as an aside, this has been tried before at least twice, and they were both Bf109G's, one of them was by Gunze Sangyo who brought out a crashed version for a small diorama use, basically, it was the front half of the plane, plus a wing, it's rare as hen's teeth as it sold.....badly

I'm not saying there are not options, however, better options are available on a smaller scale unless you nick Si's piano ....... as an aside, this has been tried before at least twice, and they were both Bf109G's, one of them was by Gunze Sangyo who brought out a crashed version for a small diorama use, basically, it was the front half of the plane, plus a wing, it's rare as hen's teeth as it sold.....badly
I would do with with aircraft and ground kit if it was in the same scale - not much mind you but it would be nice to see them together.

I do plan to do a Pinz and a 109 with the Wokka but I have no idea where I will put the dio as it’s going to be big. If I do get to do the Mert, that will go to headley Court.

running out of space on her piano.

F1FECAC4-13D3-4607-AEA1-E955E0D29BFA.jpeg

Done nowt on the Wokka today as I’ve just finished work and I’m knackered, but this turned up

DC4968BE-892C-480E-9E3B-A598AAB6FAB9.jpeg

washed flag today in case you wondered. Bet the neighbours are delighted I’ve taken it down.....

Daz

LE
Question: how did the scales come about?

I can see an Imperial influence of multiples of 12 - 1:12, 24, 48, 72, 144... but why 1:35 or 32?
1/35 came about because the Tamiya battery box fitted into the inside of the Panther Tank at that scale

1/32 comes from Gauge 1 trains and then its spin-off/accessory's including figures and predates 1/35 by about 40 odd years, as it was codified in 1909

Edit to add, in the early days, 1/32 was also know as three-eighths scale, there's your Imperial influence right there

Daz

LE
Question: how did the scales come about?

I can see an Imperial influence of multiples of 12 - 1:12, 24, 48, 72, 144... but why 1:35 or 32?
In the early 80s I was at 1 Div at Verden. The office clerk was a locally employed German, and a delightful lady called Gisela. However, she was a fierce supporter of the then EEC - and I wasn't. We frequently bickered about what I perceived as EEC red tape and diktats. About that time, pressure was put on the German wine industry to change from 0.7L bottles to 0.75L - largely, I recall, from the EEC and of course France, who already used 0.75L bottles.

I was mystified why the extra costs of tooling up were being countenanced by the Germans as reasonable, and said so to Gisela.

Me: Why is it necessary to change the bottle size for German wine?
Gisela: Because it is more logical.
Me: Logical? How do you work that out in the metric system?
Gisela: Because 0.75 is three-quarters!

@SPROCKET321 - does that sound like the Gisela you knew? :)

In the early 80s I was at 1 Div at Verden. The office clerk was a locally employed German, and a delightful lady called Gisela. However, she was a fierce supporter of the then EEC - and I wasn't. We frequently bickered about what I perceived as EEC red tape and diktats. About that time, pressure was put on the German wine industry to change from 0.7L bottles to 0.75L - largely, I recall, from the EEC and of course France, who already used 0.75L bottles.

I was mystified why the extra costs of tooling up were being countenanced by the Germans as reasonable, and said so to Gisela.

Me: Why is it necessary to change the bottle size for German wine?
Gisela: Because it is more logical.
Me: Logical? How do you work that out in the metric system?
Gisela: Because 0.75 is three-quarters!

@SPROCKET321 - does that sound like the Gisela you knew? :)

I knew she liked wine, never knew about her support of the EEC, but you're right about her, she was a delightful lady.

Done nowt on the Wokka today as I’ve just finished work and I’m knackered, but this turned up

View attachment 541718
washed flag today in case you wondered. Bet the neighbours are delighted I’ve taken it down.....
I'm very interested in that kit. The first tank down the ramp in GW1, A great moment, as the worlds press were anticipating something modern and hi tech. It was like the old British Army sticking two fingers up at the push button world.

Latest Threads