Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

As Sim said, anything Iwata is a sure win, avoid the Neo range. They are branded Iwata but made by another company possibly Sparmax and do suffer from issues.
The Iwata Revolution is a fantastic brush and very capable with a 0.3 head and needle, great first time brush but spares can be expensive.

Avoid H&S, they look great brushes come with all the bells and whistles but really do have consistency issues after a few uses. I know a lot of people who jumped on the H&S bandwagon, loved them for 3 or 4 months and then binned them off.
Sim being one of those chaps.

Badger. Made in the good ol USA, I cut my teeth on a Badger 200- Great beginners brush, really forgiving and relatively cheap spares. Does exact what it says on the tin but lacks finesse. Just not up to detail painting. I still have a badger 150 held as a reserve brush.

Procon - MR Hobby brushes. Relatively new in the UK but these are fantastic. Iwata quality but at a fraction of the price. The range mirrors the Iwata range as the brushes are made by the same company In the same factory. Subtle differences between the Iwata range so you can see the heritage of these brushes. I have one for detail work and I love it.

wot he said. Make sure you get a regulator to adjust the pressure/airflow.

I keep looking at my H&S brush and think I must use it, but never do. Irritating as it was not cheap. Not a patch on the Revolution

Daz

LE
wot he said. Make sure you get a regulator to adjust the pressure/airflow.

I keep looking at my H&S brush and think I must use it, but never do. Irritating as it was not cheap. Not a patch on the Revolution

This type would need a regulator to adjust the pressure/airflow as @Simmerit has indicated, I'd add it also needs a moisture trap as well
s-l1600 (1).jpg

This type has both built in
s-l1600 (2).jpg

I have been reluctant to go down the airbrush route as it would mean that I am a seri modeller and not just a hobbiest :) , though I am having problems in depicting some paint schemes so may have to reconsider.

What precautions in terms of needing a “spray booth” and anything else are needed?

Dads203

Old-Salt
On the topic of compressors, these are every bit as important as the brush itself.
You’ll need a moisture trap that’s for sure, without you will run the risk of ruining the paint finish when it pumps out dirty water from the compressor cylinder all over your latest build.

A tank is preferable to stop pulsing and the compressor running all the time. You can fit an extra long hose to reduce pulsing if you don’t get a tank at first.
A good pressure regulator is also a must, detail paint jobs require lower pressure to achieve. Most regulators have the moisture trap built in but always look to see if it has one included.

Iwata make a bit of kit called a Mac Valve, inline little valve that allows you to fine tune the pressure, screws into the hose connector on the airbrush -Again a must in my book to have and all the high end Iwata brushes now have them built in to the airbrush. Really does allow for precise pressure changes.

Sparmax are the gold standard for airbrushing compressors, they make them for most of the Airbrush companies- Iwata compressors are all made by Sparmax. A bit more pricey than the cheap Chinese compressors but they will last for decades.

Mac valve :- Iwata%20External%20MAC%20Valve

Last edited:

Daz

LE
I have been reluctant to go down the airbrush route as it would mean that I am a seri modeller and not just a hobbiest :) , though I am having problems in depicting some paint schemes so may have to reconsider.

What precautions in terms of needing a “spray booth” and anything else are needed?
Cardboard box and open the window for acrylics, that's all I use - enamel paints are the spawn of Satan :)

Dads203

Old-Salt
My workhorse airbrush
Iwata TR-1 with an external Mac Valve and quick release connector
1606643465547.jpeg

1606643574856.jpeg

Procon Airbrush, Mac valve is built in

1606643642087.jpeg

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks all, food for thought!

Here’s mine.

before

682490EB-A517-445C-9F40-1048F00B7F7C.jpeg

E220E35E-B459-44E5-B258-A6792102762F.jpeg

Kick the dogs out and make sure the mrs is shopping!

Morning all

After a bit o guidance
Im commissioning me old man to build and paint me an ME 262

So which company in the opinion of the modelling collective produce the better kits . 1/32 or larger
I would do it myself but I'm too busy and more importantly crap at it :D

Thanks all, food for thought!

Unfortunately this is one of those things that like buying boots - throw as much money as you can it at or you will only end up regretting it And buying the pair you knew you should have gone for...

Last edited:
Morning all

After a bit o guidance
Im commissioning me old man to build and paint me an ME 262

So which company in the opinion of the modelling collective produce the better kits . 1/32 or larger
I would do it myself but I'm too busy and more importantly crap at it :D

if you have the space go for 1/32. The new tool Revell ME262 B-1 night fighter is getting glowing reports

Kirkz

LE
Unfortunately this is one of those things that like buying boots - throw as ,I have money as you can it at or you will only end up regretting it And buying the pair you knew you should have gone for...
What language is that in?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Oops. Throw as much money as you can at it!!!

fcuking iphone.... typing too quick and it’s auto correcting
Once again, thanks all for the advice. Having taken the collective wisdom on board, and considered all factors, I have bought a £30 cheapo chinky job off the intermanet, which I will no doubt use, abuse and curse roundly whilst learning how, before buying a proper one....

Once again, thanks all for the advice. Having taken the collective wisdom on board, and considered all factors, I have bought a £30 cheapo chinky job off the intermanet, which I will no doubt use, abuse and curse roundly whilst learning how, before buying a proper one....

geta good compressor!!!!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer