Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
What rule set are you using?
An adaptation of 'Shako', which is a Napoleonic set. It included 18th Century rules, but I didn't like them, so adapted my own. We initially used it to quickly do large games for a campaign I was running and it turned into a very good set of rules for doing large historical refights. Shako is specifically designed for big battles with lots of figures and fast gameplay. Oddly enough, I prefer other rules for Napoleonics. :)

I haven't played it for over 20 years and was due to have a game tonight, but that got binned, so I'm hoping to have a game this side of Christmas and see if it works as well as I remember. There is also now a 2nd edition of Shako.

Paid about 250 quid for it and the fixtures and fittings. The hull on its own is 800 quid, so a bargain.

View attachment 523793
bit of effort required on it though
Stone the bloody crows!!! I assume that it’s a plastic kit, you’ll need shares in Wicks just to pay for the amount of paint you’ll need!
Me and I suspect a few others, would be very interested in seeing the kit as purchased. I’m struggling to imagine where you’d build it, you could always throw the car out of the garage I suppose!

An adaptation of 'Shako', which is a Napoleonic set. It included 18th Century rules, but I didn't like them, so adapted my own. We initially used it to quickly do large games for a campaign I was running and it turned into a very good set of rules for doing large historical refights. Shako is specifically designed for big battles with lots of figures and fast gameplay. Oddly enough, I prefer other rules for Napoleonics. :)

I haven't played it for over 20 years and was due to have a game tonight, but that got binned, so I'm hoping to have a game this side of Christmas and see if it works as well as I remember. There is also now a 2nd edition of Shako.

Used 'Shako' which I thought had some pretty good mechanics, but the mob I played Napoleonics with were Empire. I've still not found a set of 7YW rules I'm happy with, so am in the long and laborious process of writing my own (seems a life-long project). Still, you can't beat 7YW for uniforms, which has always been part of the appeal of the period.

Stone the bloody crows!!! I assume that it’s a plastic kit, you’ll need shares in Wicks just to pay for the amount of paint you’ll need!
Me and I suspect a few others, would be very interested in seeing the kit as purchased. I’m struggling to imagine where you’d build it, you could always throw the car out of the garage I suppose!
I think it’s glass fibre - it’s in the shed at the minute. I’ll take some snaps tomorrow

Used 'Shako' which I thought had some pretty good mechanics, but the mob I played Napoleonics with were Empire. I've still not found a set of 7YW rules I'm happy with, so am in the long and laborious process of writing my own (seems a life-long project). Still, you can't beat 7YW for uniforms, which has always been part of the appeal of the period.
Yeah, I was churning through my Napoleonic mountain during the first half of the year, but hit 'painter's block'. Then I had a game of Shako 2nd Edition with a mate (in between lockdowns), which was the Battle of Medellin 1809, where the Spanish army basically fought very much as an 18th Century army. Somewhat hilariously, as Cuesta I gave the Frogs a comprehensive shoeing... :) It just reminded me of the cracking 18th Century games we had back in the 90s.

So, for a break from all the tedious bold colours, facings, buttons, lace and shakos of Napoleonics, I decided to crack on with painting the ENTIRELY different bold colours, facings, buttons, lace and tricorns of the SYW...

This was one of mine from the 90s - the Battle of Lobositz 1756 (the bad photo quality is because it was scanned from a 1998 issue of Wargames Illustrated):

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Oi! I resemble that remark.
No doubt you'd be mentally figuring out the scrap value and how you'll get it home!

I've gone all nautical and ordered a few ships. This morning the HMSQE got delivered to go with the Type 45 and Type 23 to make up the Strike Group.

Ahoy, shipmates!
IMG_20201127_122437.jpg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
very nice, very modern. Why not start a page on it under builds so it doesn't get buried in here, this is such a fast turnaround page it'll be hard to keep up on your progress.
That's my intention mate. The QE build won't take long, it's a resin kit with a bit of white metal and PE.

Funny that as someone posted it on the internet links thread either yesterday or the day before.

It seems to be 'viral' in the social media sense of the word; showed the post above to Mrs S.O. a couple of minutes ago, to the response of "M'eh, saw that in my FB feed". Are we all unwittingly contributing to the
'I Love Woodworking' social media profile?

Latest Threads