Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

I’d like to do Royal Oak or Barham. I think Trumpeter do them but they are a bloody fortune.

I have got a 1/96th Dreadnought but it’s about 5 or 6 foot long!
Go on, build the Dreadnaught, what a project! you would have to offer it to your nearest war museum, just to stay Married.

You think modelling expensive, FFS, don't take up photography then ;)
yes that can get pricey too,especially upgrading lenses for the next hi tech offering, I may have to upgrade my modelling camera from the simple cybershot point and shoot I currently use for models and car building, something SLR (NO, not that Rifle) with apertures and shutter speeds on manual, that way I could at least get some decent DOF, but that's another thread.

we all know that tanks break up after so many hits in a similar pattern, eventually turning the hulk into a pile of unidentifiable scrap. depending on how often they are engaged and how long they've been sitting out there in the rain, unloved, unserviced, uncrewed with the rain dripping off the mantlet, Next years John Lewis Christmas ad. But mine will show signs of hits, but won't have lost it's general structural integrity, So rusty, battered, holed. Wheels, track, gun barrel all present, missing bins. And anything reasonably suggested by the ARRSerarty.
View attachment 522997

Sheer poetry ;-)

Daz

LE

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
we all know that tanks break up after so many hits in a similar pattern, eventually turning the hulk into a pile of unidentifiable scrap. depending on how often they are engaged and how long they've been sitting out there in the rain, unloved, unserviced, uncrewed with the rain dripping off the mantlet, Next years John Lewis Christmas ad. But mine will show signs of hits, but won't have lost it's general structural integrity, So rusty, battered, holed. Wheels, track, gun barrel all present, missing bins. And anything reasonably suggested by the ARRSerarty.
View attachment 522997
The following book may be of use to you. Reviewed by a charming, yet devilishly handsome chap in January of this very year.

Tank Wrecks of the Western Front 1940-1945​

the USS Nevada as target ship for two Nuclear tests shots Able and Baker in the Pacific, she survived both, and as a Pearl Harbour, Normandy and Okinawa veteran, the Americans then used her for target practice, finally sinking her with a torpedo from a Grumman Avenger. The music on this video is particularly poignant (from last of the Mohecans) as to me, it adds a heroic nobility to the ships being bombed. See what you think.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
the USS Nevada as target ship for two Nuclear tests shots Able and Baker in the Pacific, she survived both, and as a Pearl Harbour, Normandy and Okinawa veteran, the Americans then used her for target practice, finally sinking her with a torpedo from a Grumman Avenger. The music on this video is particularly poignant (from last of the Mohecans) as to me, it adds a heroic nobility to the ships being bombed. See what you think.
It seems a shabby way to go, but I suppose marginally better than the breakers yard.

Speaking of the USS Nevada.

HSF

LE
I think they also used captured german Cruiser/s a quite famous one in one of those tests?

ches

LE

Did no one think of the fishies?

Did no one think of the fishies?
I worked with a veteran from the Christmas island Nuclear tests conducted in the 1950's, he was RE, they had to bulldoze tons of dead sea life back into the outgoing tide. They found the Dead Dolphins particularly regrettable. odd times, hopefully, never to be seen again.

odd that there's an M26 Pershing tank upturned on the seabed at the wreck site. They must have taken advantage of the test to see the effect on ground targets.
on a casual search there seems to be dearth of model kits of USS Navada, odd, considering her history.

edit to add, just found this model restoration, prop from Tora Tora Tora

Last edited:

Latest Threads