Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

The Fehrmann Tiger is coming on slowly likewise the Lancaster, in trying to be historically accurate I keep disappearing down rabbit holes on the internet when I find what are to me interesting web sites etc.

The Tiger info is fairly easy to find due to the obsession with all things German from WW2, whereas info on the A 34 Comet is a little more difficult to find, however the following site is of great interest as it covers the actual engagement in which the Tiger was destroyed 3 royal tank regiment | WW2Talk.

The Lancaster has been straightened, eventually decided to use a hair dryer as I could control the heat application, glad I did as once you reach a certain temp the plastic becomes extremely malleable and you could end up making things much worse than when you started.

Looking into the details of the Lancasters in which my father flew threw up several registration numbers, the aircraft he most often flew in was ND 644 N, on 20 occasions . The aircraft was eventually lost after completing 115 Ops on 17 March 1945 in a raid on Nuremberg.

Again another rabbit hole investigated throws up something, the aircraft was called Naughts Nan, and had some nose art, of a female figure scantily attired, so far I can only find an oblique picture of it in order to replicated the design, more research needed, given the likelihood of a further lockdown should keep me occupied.

On that point, what should I go for in order to alleviate the potential tedium of the next month? A Sherman from 3RTR from Op Goodwood or one of the other aircraft in which my father flew, possibly a Lincoln, though that might be a bit ambitious given my skills, I am tempted by a Wellington, Halifax or even a Mosquito which strangely appears in his logbook even though he was an AG.

ETA correct the name of the aircraft fron N for Nan to Naughty Nan.
1604164269550.png

1604164329261.png

1604164371156.png

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The Fehrmann Tiger is coming on slowly likewise the Lancaster, in trying to be historically accurate I keep disappearing down rabbit holes on the internet when I find what are to me interesting web sites etc.

The Tiger info is fairly easy to find due to the obsession with all things German from WW2, whereas info on the A 34 Comet is a little more difficult to find, however the following site is of great interest as it covers the actual engagement in which the Tiger was destroyed 3 royal tank regiment | WW2Talk.

The Lancaster has been straightened, eventually decided to use a hair dryer as I could control the heat application, glad I did as once you reach a certain temp the plastic becomes extremely malleable and you could end up making things much worse than when you started.

Looking into the details of the Lancasters in which my father flew threw up several registration numbers, the aircraft he most often flew in was ND 644 N, on 20 occasions . The aircraft was eventually lost after completing 115 Ops on 17 March 1945 in a raid on Nuremberg.

Again another rabbit hole investigated throws up something, the aircraft was called N for Nan and had some nose art, of a female figure scantily attired, so far I can only find an oblique picture of it in order to replicated the design, more research needed, given the likelihood of a further lockdown should keep me occupied.

On that point, what should I go for in order to alleviate the potential tedium of the next month? A Sherman from 3RTR from Op Goodwood or one of the other aircraft in which my father flew, possibly a Lincoln, though that might be a bit ambitious given my skills, I am tempted by a Wellington, Halifax or even a Mosquito which strangely appears in his logbook even though he was an AG.
View attachment 516617

View attachment 516618
View attachment 516620
These?

Something to hone your interest in the A34 Comet. The guy in this video Bob Darwood, now works at Bovington.

Possibilities RAF Cosford, the museum’s archives, secondly IWM Duxford archives.
A third, the airfield the Lancaster flew from does it have a museum?
Thanks for that, shall try the archives you suggest, sadly there is not much left of the airfield, RAF Waltham (Grimsby), most of the runways were used for the A15 approach roads to the Humber Bridge.

Thanks for that, shall try the archives you suggest, sadly there is not much left of the airfield, RAF Waltham (Grimsby), most of the runways were used for the A15 approach roads to the Humber Bridge.
Know the place, been past lots of times going over the bridge. There’s some big old piles of rubble on what’s left of the runway. In that case there’s the Yorkshire Aircraft Museum at Elvington. Also there’s the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre at East Kirkby, they have a lot of info from the airfields of Lincolnshire.

Know the place, been past lots of times going over the bridge. There’s some big old piles of rubble on what’s left of the runway. In that case there’s the Yorkshire Aircraft Museum at Elvington. Also there’s the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre at East Kirkby, they have a lot of info from the airfields of Lincolnshire.
Thanks for that, I will have to see what I can dig out, already found pictures of when his Sqn went out to Malaya in the early 50’s to carry out Anti Bandit strikes during the emergency, it includes a whole Sqn photo in front of a Lincoln, now just have to I’d the old man.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All pictures are helpful, if I can’t find a definitive image I may have to combine several into a best guess.

Third one looks interesting, not identical to the other pic I have, it comes from the Australian source but there were several Aussies in the U.K. 100 Sqn. My recognition is not brilliant so can’t be sure it is a Lancaster though. Also curious way of depicting the Ops she had flown on, looks like WRAF draws cellular:)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
All pictures are helpful, if I can’t find a definitive image I may have to combine several into a best guess.

Third one looks interesting, not identical to the other pic I have, it comes from the Australian source but there were several Aussies in the U.K. 100 Sqn. My recognition is not brilliant so can’t be sure it is a Lancaster though. Also curious way of depicting the Ops she had flown on, looks like WRAF draws cellular:)
Can’t be sure but looks like a Halifax to me.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably oversight, but here you go......

and the one MkI CALM was still in service with each RCT Transport Squadron until the AEC fleet was replaced by the Bedford 14 Tonne 6X6 in the early 90s. AEC MkIII Recovery Trucks were replaced by Foden GS Recovery 6X6.

My bold - that’s not true...

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Just had a look through Mr Google's helpful site.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

SecurityGeek

Old-Salt
Agree with you over Vallejo Acrylics. @daz put me on to them and I now use them on all occasions. I find when using the hairy stick, it is better to give each item a coat of primer first.
Primer is the way forward. Learnt my lesson on how important it is the hard way with Alcad! 2 x P51's in all metal finish. First one now languishing at the back of the shelf. 2nd one shiny and collecting dust at the front :) .
Used to use Halfords finest for most things, dabbled with others to see how they worked then I discovered Vallejo primer. Not looked back since.
Until something better is developed of course!

Can’t be sure but looks like a Halifax to me.

No, it's a Lanc, as per RR11's cockpit photos: 467 Sqn RAAF, to which the photo is attributed, was only ever equipped with Lancasters.

'467 Squadron was formed in November 1942 at Scampton (later the base of 617 Squadron, the famous "Dambusters") and was equipped with Lancaster heavy bombers from the outset. It relocated to Bottlesford and then to Waddington where it remained for the rest of the war. It operated as part of 5 Group in RAF Bomber Command.'

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads