Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
We probably passed each other at some point during the 80's then.
Highly likely - if you saw a freezing subbie wearing an NBC suit on a heavily laden motorcycle being overtaken by everything on Route 2 between the Ruhrgebiet and Hohne it may well have been me.

Sweet baby jebuss, I can smell the burning clutches, diesel fumes, fried food and lack of ambition!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Just complete the image by telling us you were doling out D10 cable, will you? :-D
No room for D10 by the time my CEMO and SMG had been strapped on...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Sweet baby jebuss, I can smell the burning clutches, diesel fumes, fried food and lack of ambition!
I’m just smelling your lower BARB scores...

Unremarkable

War Hero
DUKWs were operated by the British Army from March 1952 when an amphibious unit was formed in Fremington until unit disbandment in Marchwood 1974. Wiki however reckons
"Later military use
The Royal Marines used five of these vehicles for training at 11 (Amphibious Trials and Training) Squadron, 1 Assault Group Royal Marines at Instow, North Devon. Four were manufactured between 1943 and 1945. The fifth is a DUKW hull copy manufactured in 1993 with unused World War II-vintage running gear parts.[20] In 1999, a refurbishment programme began to extend their service life to 2014.[20] DUKWs were removed from service in 2012. "
Which sounds iffy to me. The wiki link is no longer in use.
Was the last RM example the epically named Crispy Duck?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It isn't. It's an 0854
Absolutely correct! Full name: AEC 2500 Gallon Petrol Tanker Type 0854. As they looked very much like the Matador, they were mistakenly called that. Irrespective of what it was called, it's still a bloody good bit of kit. AEC didn't bugger about when they made trucks.

Seeing as how I quite enjoyed assembling and painting the box of Games Workshop Space Marines I thought I'd treat myself to another box...

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

This time I might try a few conversions - modified weapons, extra gear and so on. I'll have to have a think about it and see what I can come up with. It will make a nice change from the 1/144 scale stuff and give me a chance to do something different... ;-)

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Seeing as how I quite enjoyed assembling and painting the box of Games Workshop Space Marines I thought I'd treat myself to another box...

View attachment 515544

View attachment 515546

This time I might try a few conversions - modified weapons, extra gear and so on. I'll have to have a think about it and see what I can come up with. It will make a nice change from the 1/144 scale stuff and give me a chance to do something different... ;-)
Good on you mate. It's always a good thing to stand away from your comfort zone and do something different.

Latest Threads