Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I came across this at the S Yorks Aviation Museum:View attachment 514913
Ticks ‘weathered’ box, moves on...
It seems to have moved anyway:

1603715450781.png

Paging @Truxx to get it going again....

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Not a Matador, actually a Marshall. We still had Mk1 Militants up to 1989 and thoroughly good they were too
I swapped out my Mk 1s for Mk IIIs in 1983 and then subsequently the Mk IIIs for 14 Tonne TMs:

Bedford 14 Tonne 001 (2).jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
That was quick. I took my licture last Wednesday. Looks like a Bedford with refuelling booms behind.
Sorry, not being clear, that photo was taken before yours!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I swapped out my Mk 1s for Mk IIIs in 1983 and then subsequently the Mk IIIs for 14 Tonne TMs:

View attachment 515246
36 Squadron RCT (10 Corps Tpt Regt RCT) vehicle park - Catterick Barracks, Bielefeld 1989.

We certainly knew how to line things up during the Cold War!

Kirkz

LE
36 Squadron RCT vehicle park - Catterick Barracks, Bielefeld 1989.

Thought it looked familiar, I was 33 Sqn RCT at Birdwood Bunde in 83, and visited Catterick Barracks a few times.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
36 Squadron RCT (10 Corps Tpt Regt RCT) vehicle park - Catterick Barracks, Bielefeld 1989.

I used to live on Am Niederfeld as a kid, the field we played on overlooked the truck parks.

I remember when all this were Fodens, AECs, Antars, etc.

Also remember (1979-ish?) when it was full of Humber Pigs ahead of an NI deployment.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Thought it looked familiar, I was 33 Sqn RCT at Birdwood Bunde in 83, and visited Catterick Barracks a few times.

Ah - we picked up our Mk IIIs from there!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, the field's gone, according to Google Maps. That would have been it on the right where the garages are. The truck park is just beyond.

I suppose it was 40 years ago...
Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 14.39.14.png

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to live on Am Niederfeld as a kid, the field we played on overlooked the truck parks.

I remember when all this were Fodens, AECs, Antars, etc.

Also remember (1979-ish?) when it was full of Humber Pigs ahead of an NI deployment.
That's right - did you ever go to the Alte Munze?

I think we managed an NI tour every 18 months or so and the NI Trg Fleet were a common sight on the roads of sunny Bielers!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, the field's gone, according to Google Maps. That would have been it on the right where the garages are. The truck park is just beyond.

I suppose it was 40 years ago...
View attachment 515263
That's it alright - it's 36 Sqn vehicle park you could see:

Screenshot (148).png

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
That's right - did you ever go to the Alte Munze?

I think we managed an NI tour every 18 months or so and the NI Trg Fleet were a common sight on the roads of sunny Bielers!
Sadly, no.

My father was based at the old Rochdale Barracks, the RAOC place that had the bakery. The name passed to another location later.

I went to school on Catterick (Bielefeld Primary shut last year, according to the the internet). Cubs was also done on Catterick, so we'd wander home through the vehicle parks at night (also usually stopping to mess around on the bit of rough ground near the POL compound where they tested the despatch bikes). Judo and Saturday morning cinema were up at Ripon Barracks. Winter sledging in the trees up at the back of Lipper Hellweg.

Happy posting, that was.

Latest Threads