Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

LARD

LE
Paint just arrived from HM Hobbies. Cracking service. Well packed - the bags were sealed. Well done!

Paint 1.jpg
Paint 2.jpg
Paint 3.jpg

I have just started an aircraft build and have come across a problem, when dry fitting the fuselage it appears to be twisted, as shown in the attached photograph;

1603372641215.png

any advice as to how to correct this would be most welcome. The bomb bay floor/ceiling has to go in this helps a bit but as most of the distortion is aft of the bay it doesn’t do a lot.

I have seen on the internet the advice to use hot water, but no reference to how hot and how long etc or are there other techniques?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I have just started an aircraft build and have come across a problem, when dry fitting the fuselage it appears to be twisted, as shown in the attached photograph;

View attachment 514113

any advice as to how to correct this would be most welcome. The bomb bay floor/ceiling has to go in this helps a bit but as most of the distortion is aft of the bay it doesn’t do a lot.

I have seen on the internet the advice to use hot water, but no reference to how hot and how long etc or are there other techniques?
Here you go, ask for No 57 in returns:

1603374260272.png

View attachment 514113

Try warming the part up, maybe an application of steam whilst they're taped together.

View attachment 514113

hairdryer. Dont hold it too close though

View attachment 514113

The joint line is a flat register (one side may have locating pins but the other won't) so put it on a flat surface such as a piece of glass.
Put sufficient weight on it just to flatten the warpage - not cause the curvature of the fuselage to spread. Leave it in a warm place - I straightened an already assembled 1/35 tank hull this way...
I also buggered up a nicely painted set of vinyl tracks up by having them too long in a too warm oven so I reckon 50°- 60°C is probably fine for 10 mins.
If you flatten the male (pin) side a bit, join to the, cold, female side, clamp the assembly between 2 rulers whilst it sets and cools you should get it back to true.

that's all the glassed up models gone to their various homes, space to breath now, and consider some more rigging work on the Victory I promised Mrs Sprocket ages ago, her great great grandfather was on it. I may even have a drop of the good stuff now I can get to my drinks cabinet.
cabinet top.png

ah, yes, the models, had to explain to Mrs S that these models will come after the Victory, having dropped off the glassed up Armoured cars into my local model shop SMC, they owed me money for previous models in glass cases they've sold off, they sold the Black Label MBT 70, Matchbox 1/32 SBD dive Bomber, Airfix SRN4 Hovercraft, CMP Quad and 25 pounder, WMIK Landrover, AFV Club M24 Chaffee, That amazing, wood and metal Western Mountain Buckboard, and some others, all that I've made on here, with you guys watching from the wings adding comments of support. Came out of SMC, with this lot....
box sides.png

and some supplies that I needed, always forget the Acrylic thinner, so got two bottles of it.
this is a giant, 1/16th scale. Thank god I had the sense to get a Stuart Light tank in that scale, if it'd been a challenger 1 I'd be back in space trouble again.
large scale stuart box art.png

the box is chocka with parts.
choka box Stuart.png

don't ask me why, but I've always been a fan of post war German Armour supplied to the Bund by the Americans, when they moved up to M60, the Gerrys got M47, when Gerry got Leopard, Hohne Anti tank range got the M47, as hard targets. I've had fun shooting at these. whispers...I understand todays troops don't get to shoot at old tanks anymore, terrible.
new kit Bund M47.png

Latest Threads