Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Just been reading up about the Lanc.

View attachment 508050
View attachment 508051
Avro Lincoln and Lancastrian. Never come across them

In WW2 the US and UK agreed to pool production resources - production being allocated in such a way that overall production was maximised. The UK was relatively good at building fighters and heavy bombers; a lot of UK production was focussed around that. US military production grew as a stupendous rate during the war; in part due to the US government telling industry what they wanted and letting industry figure out the best way to do it. A lot of the existing US armament industry was rapidly embarrassed by civilian industry producing things like machine guns several times faster and at a much reduced cost.

Check out 'Freedom's Forge' by Arthur Herman - the US production statistics are truly jaw dropping.

During the war, the UK imported the bulk of its advanced trainers (Harvard) and transport aircraft (Dakota) from the US. As such, it didn't really have a civilian airliner industry at the end of hostilities. The US on the other hand had the Dakota (which was essentially a military version of a successful airliner) and the C54 Skymaster - a four engined transport, again with civilian roots. The Lancastrian was an attempt to convert an excellent airframe - the Lancaster - to civilian use as a short term way of competing.

The Lincoln was only ever intended for military use - it was a further development of the Lancaster airframe and engines. Indeed, it's original designation was Lancaster Mk IV.

Wordsmith

Lancastrian had one row of single seats. It could get you from a to b but it wasn't exactly an airliner.
103624.jpg

I've seen forward facing too.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Drifting off topic here, but this is the De Havilland Dove, which first flew in 1946.

1601504824800.png

It is not for the claustrophobic. You can go inside one at the De Havilland museum at St Albans. The only way you can move down the aisle on the cabin is to crouch and turn sideways - the gap between the seats is about 9".

The bulge above the cockpit is to allow the pilots to sit upright. Otherwise, they'd be flying in a crouched position.

The result was a small, light aircraft with good aerodynamics. It might have been claustrophobic inside, but it was cost effective to fly.

Wordsmith

If Heineken did aircraft, once described (by me) as the Kate Winslett of Aircraft. Just beautiful and British.

Not related to the lovely Kate but the aircraft is lovely to look at but hard to work on.

Pic from my old stomping grounds. Credit to the photographer who ever he is.

View attachment 508327

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't stop I'm almost there...

The sight and sound of 79 and 234 overhead (plus B/202, C-160s and whoever was at VAS) was my childhood...

Drifting off topic here, but this is the De Havilland Dove, which first flew in 1946.

View attachment 508700

It is not for the claustrophobic. You can go inside one at the De Havilland museum at St Albans. The only way you can move down the aisle on the cabin is to crouch and turn sideways - the gap between the seats is about 9".

The bulge above the cockpit is to allow the pilots to sit upright. Otherwise, they'd be flying in a crouched position.

The result was a small, light aircraft with good aerodynamics. It might have been claustrophobic inside, but it was cost effective to fly.

Wordsmith
My memory has been degraded by too many Apfelkorn chasers taken at the time, but am I right in thinking that we still had some of those in service in the early 90s? I remember the RAFG Pembrokes well enough, but I'd swear I saw one of those still knocking around Lincolnshire stations.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
My memory has been degraded by too many Apfelkorn chasers taken at the time, but am I right in thinking that we still had some of those in service in the early 90s? I remember the RAFG Pembrokes well enough, but I'd swear I saw one of those still knocking around Lincolnshire stations.

I flew in a Pembroke at RAF Wildenrath when I was a space cadet - that would have been about 1973. It was being flown by a Group Captain who needed the stick time to maintain his flight rating. He flew it at night and managed to 'land' it about 20 feet above the runway, resulting in the heaviest landing I've ever experienced.

I, also while a space cadet, flew in a Vickers Varsity which my father had done his navigator's training on during his national service.

Wordsmith

Aha! By the power of Google! BBMF still had at least one Devon (not Dove, but looked very similar) in the early 90s, which they used for multi-engine training for the Lanc crews. Was replaced by the Dakota in 95. I wasn't going mad then! :)

Just picked this up

E401D0CA-500A-453D-9B00-FE197BFF8934.jpeg

you can still get aftermarket for it from fisher models........

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The roundels could be Green, White & Red, indicating one of the Fuzzy-Wuzzy nations.

The roundels could be Green, White & Red, indicating one of the Fuzzy-Wuzzy nations.

good call batman. It turns up in the next 10 days so I will let you know. There’s a lot wrong with it but it can be corrected

good call batman. It turns up in the next 10 days so I will let you know. There’s a lot wrong with it but it can be corrected

I'd have gone for Green-White-Green with star and crescent in the centre, in which case it's Egyptian.

File:Egyptian Air Force roundel (1945-1958).svg

Don't stop I'm almost there...

The sight and sound of 79 and 234 overhead (plus B/202, C-160s and whoever was at VAS) was my childhood...

You left out the 2 target towing Meteors. RAF Brawdy...The marmite of “not the RAF”. You loved it or loathed it. I loved it.

I did a stint on the Hunter line and VAS doing the targets in my 5 years there.

I do the reunions every year at the Duke... bunch of old gits talking about the “good old days” and rambling about Hunters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest Threads