Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

I saw someone (it might have been Woodland Scenics) selling 'boulders' (yup, you guessed it...)

You'd be surprised how many packs of stuff like this we sell every year.... :)

I also designed these... rock outcrops. Amazing what you can do with some real granite chips (picked up for free after the local council repaired the paths at a local beauty spot with them), a pack of Milliput and some plastic sheet... :)

29EB6FBB-B512-4882-AC99-9CC111F9083A.jpeg
New putty arrived for the Wokka!!!! Yes the Wokka.

it’s made by true-earth and when set your wipe off the excess with alcohol. I’m guessing everyone on here will drink the alcohol and sand off the excess......

Ill be using it on the Wokka to fill in the 9m rivet holes on the fuselage before I apply new ones in decal form

Ill be using it on the Wokka to fill in the 9m rivet holes on the fuselage before I apply new ones in decal form

Not knowing about such things...

How many rivets are you talking about and how long will is take to apply them?

...and how to you apply decals that small FFS? o_O

Not knowing about such things...

How many rivets are you talking about and how long will is take to apply them?

...and how to you apply decals that small FFS? o_O

bloody hundred of them. Shouldn’t take too long to fill them with a small spatula. Decals will take bloody ages to apply. I’ll post some piccies later if I get a min of the talk in hand - after I finish the Spad and the Cromwell of course. I reckon I’ll be on the Wokka in December at this rate. Doing quite well at the minute.

i.mm feeling some fast air coming on soon - Hunter or Phantom

bloody hundred of them. Shouldn’t take too long to fill them with a small spatula. Decals will take bloody ages to apply. I’ll post some piccies later if I get a min of the talk in hand - after I finish the Spad and the Cromwell of course. I reckon I’ll be on the Wokka in December at this rate. Doing quite well at the minute.

...and you lot have the cheek to call me mad! ;-)

I doff my hat to you sir and look forward to seeing some pics. :thumleft:

If this is a poll - Hunter.

Hunter was the first jet I ever built at about 10 years old. Never built a Phantom but always wanted to do one
USN, USAF, USMC, RN or RAF?

Long post so you may want to put the kettle on for a brew before reading ;-)

Going through some boxes of part finished projects at the moment - found a couple of hundred American Civil War figures, some part painted others just bare metal plus some odds and ends such as staff officers and a couple of horsedrawn wagons. These are last of two large wargaming armies, so I thnk I'll crack on with these next to get them finished off.

First off though I have a bunch of shanty town buidlings in 1/144 scale. These are for a Vietnam wargming project and have been sat on the shelf for so long I'd forgotten about them. They won't take long to paint up then I can addthem to my collection of model scenery (some of them we tarted up and used as garden and vegetable patch sheds etc for my N scale modern Japanese model railway...

Anyway, a bit of light entertainment... :)

My Napoleonic era wargame campaign continues apace. Six days into the campaign and both sides are having their problems, but with 9 game days left to go it is still anyone's guess as to who will win (Historically the French came out on top and the Austrians retreated and requested an armistice)...

The French players have made the running so far, managing to outmanoeuvre one of the Austrian divisions and trapping it in the narrow valleys in the southern end of the Black Forest. The Austrians fought well but were badly outnumbered, cut off from their line of communications and were forced to surrender once they realised they couldn't fight their way out. The French took some 13,000 prisoners and a number of Austrian guns were captured.

So far so good, the French player commander had made a good plan of operations and his subordinates were working well to implement it. The Austrians were on the back foot and struggling to figure out quite where and what the French were doing.

Two days later however, the senior Austrian commander and his 2ic had, as a result of some good intelligence, figured out roughly what the French were doing came up with a plan to grab the initiative. At the same time the French tried to cut off and trap another Austrian Corps at a town called Haszlach (also in the Black Forest). This time things didn't go so well...

A French corps tried to block the road at Haszlach to trap an Austrian Corps which was trying to march through the area. Unfortunately for the French, the Austrians had the advantage of numbers this time, and the commander of one of the supporting French divisions failed to reach the battlefield in time... interview sans cafe and croissant coming up I think.

The player commanding the Austrians is also a determined and very aggressive player who just threw everything he had at the French and cleared them away from the road...

View attachment 506501
Austrians getting stuck in while the French try to hold the town of Haszlach.

View attachment 506502
Austrian heavy cavalry just about to trample a French gun battery into the floor...

View attachment 506506
Nearly all over - the French have been driven out of the town and still more Austrians are piling in!

View attachment 506509
What's left of the French do a runner while hoping the rearguard can hold on for a bit longer...

As if this wasn't bad enough, on the same day but about 35 miles further south, the French also tried break out of the confines of the Black Forest valleys at a town called Loffingen. Having beaten the Austrians currently holding Loffingen a few days earlier the French player though he could do the same again...

The Austrian player however had done his personal reccies, looked at the ground and figured it was a good place to fight. He called up reinforcements and positioned them carefully in dead ground out of sight of the road which the French were using as their axis of advance. This time the Austrians had the advantage of numbers - 27,000 troops, of which almost 6,000 were heavy cavalry.

View attachment 506515
French attack begins - Austrian player puts up a fight but slowly gives ground to lure the French forward into his trap... cunning or what?

View attachment 506516
The French follow up - not too many Austrians boys - it looks like another French victory is on the cards!

View attachment 506519
Meanwhile, out of sight on the other side of the low ridge... DRAW SABRES!!!

View attachment 506521
As the French get closer their supporting cavalry brigade on the right flank rides up onto the ridge and... Oh Feck! Where did they come from?

View attachment 506522
The Austrian heavy cavalry advance in two columns. More Austrian cavalry advance in support. The French line and their supporting cavalry would be swept away in the next turn of the game...

View attachment 506524
They think it's all over... It is now! Austrian cavalry rampage through the French positions driving the French away in retreat. I will draw a veil over this sorry scene. Suffice to say the French scrambled to get away somewhat hastily. Most of the French were dispersed into the wooded hills while over 3,500 were taken prisoner.

It will take a couple of game days for the French to rally and count their losses and it will be interesting to see what happens next. Of the three French corps two have just had a good kicking, which has gome some way to make up for the surrender of 13,000 Austrians a couple of days ago.

However, both sides are about to recieve fresh reinforcments, which are currently about to reach the Upper Rhine in the vicinity of Lake Constance. It's still anybody's game :)

What figure scale are you using, 15mm? Very nicely painted whichever.

What figure scale are you using, 15mm? Very nicely painted whichever.

Thanks - all my Napoleonics are 15mm. Everything from 1980s Minifigs and Mike's Models up to AB and Old Glory 15s...

Well after four months with a complete mojo-loss for modelling and painting, I finally got off my arse this week and painted a load of 15mm Napoleonic Russian Grenadiers (AB Figures) and they were looking good and ready to defend Mother Russia. But then there was a swish of purple, a whiff of sulphur and the EM whispered "Don't worry about the fog outside, it's perfectly dry in here and the spray varnish will be fine. You've done this loads of times. What could possibly go wrong...?" :muhaha:

:crying:

Latest Threads