Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

At the same time I posted a few pics of a Man o War I did. Here's some more.

5th Rates with two 1st rate at the back.
View attachment 506135

5th Rates.
View attachment 506136
View attachment 506137

1st Rate.
View attachment 506138
View attachment 506139

Very neat and tidy work there. I could never get into the Horblower stuff myself but I do think the models look great.

I seem to recall that back in the 70s the wargaming rules for the age of sail era were usually ridiculously complex with lots of book-keeping for damage and casualties. What are the rules like these days? It would seem a shame to paint up a lovely looking fleet like that and then never be able to have them all out on the tabletop.

I model British gear in 1969 (the period for my aborted railway, hence also the 1/76 scale) and I've always been short of subjects in injection moulded kits. I think the old Airfix Chieftain, Matador, and DUKW were it. The Centurion was unusable. The JB range didn't last long in the Airfix catalogue either.
Resin to the rescue!
Takom have released Chieftains in 1/72 scale. If they're anything like the 1/35 kits, they should be good.

No idea if they are still in business but I'm sure I saw it at a show a few years ago. I remember it as it was a distinct pose and I tried to make the Airfix Polish lancer look similar. My skills weren't up to it.
The only "serious" conversion I really attempted was a charging Historex cavalryman of the airfix magazine cover. I took ages and 14-15year old me got bored before completing it. It would have been a masterpiece of course...

Unremarkable

War Hero
I never had a problem with the Airfix Cent, it needed quite a lot from the spares box to make it look 'real' but I quite liked it.

Matador Models do a lot of excellent 1/76 stuff but I ordered some back in April and haven't seen anything yet. No easy way of contacting them either. Not a 21C company!
I prefer dealing with Milicast, and may well get their late Cent after I build their AVRE.

Unremarkable

War Hero
S&M Models do a 1/76 Stolly, I have one in my stash, plus a part done MatMod resin version:

Just discovered they make a 432 as well:

The 432 is said to be 1/72, and the Stolly is nearer 1/87. Fussy, me.
Matador do several things I'd like to build, but for some reason won't deal with me.

Kirkz

LE
Matador do several things I'd like to build, but for some reason won't deal with me.
Perhaps you're not bullish enough for them.

Do you have a contact number for them (Matador)?

Interesting comment about the S&M Stolly - it looks about the right size to me but the Matador ones looks a bit small.

Unremarkable

War Hero
Do you have a contact number for them (Matador)?

Interesting comment about the S&M Stolly - it looks about the right size to me but the Matador ones looks a bit small.
I measured it. The front if the cab is flat as well.
The BW white metal kit was better, which is allegedly the basis for the Matador offering. If I ever get hold of one, at least the photoetch sheet will be good to use.
I have no contact number for Matador; I ordered from them as per instructions, looking up reference numbers on their website, printing off and filling in the order form, then posting with a cheque. Same order three times - and over £100, thankfully uncashed - but no delivery. The few Matador kits I have were via Scalelink, who no longer stock them.

Long post so you may want to put the kettle on for a brew before reading ;-)

Going through some boxes of part finished projects at the moment - found a couple of hundred American Civil War figures, some part painted others just bare metal plus some odds and ends such as staff officers and a couple of horsedrawn wagons. These are last of two large wargaming armies, so I thnk I'll crack on with these next to get them finished off.

First off though I have a bunch of shanty town buidlings in 1/144 scale. These are for a Vietnam wargming project and have been sat on the shelf for so long I'd forgotten about them. They won't take long to paint up then I can addthem to my collection of model scenery (some of them we tarted up and used as garden and vegetable patch sheds etc for my N scale modern Japanese model railway...

Anyway, a bit of light entertainment... :)

My Napoleonic era wargame campaign continues apace. Six days into the campaign and both sides are having their problems, but with 9 game days left to go it is still anyone's guess as to who will win (Historically the French came out on top and the Austrians retreated and requested an armistice)...

The French players have made the running so far, managing to outmanoeuvre one of the Austrian divisions and trapping it in the narrow valleys in the southern end of the Black Forest. The Austrians fought well but were badly outnumbered, cut off from their line of communications and were forced to surrender once they realised they couldn't fight their way out. The French took some 13,000 prisoners and a number of Austrian guns were captured.

So far so good, the French player commander had made a good plan of operations and his subordinates were working well to implement it. The Austrians were on the back foot and struggling to figure out quite where and what the French were doing.

Two days later however, the senior Austrian commander and his 2ic had, as a result of some good intelligence, figured out roughly what the French were doing came up with a plan to grab the initiative. At the same time the French tried to cut off and trap another Austrian Corps at a town called Haszlach (also in the Black Forest). This time things didn't go so well...

A French corps tried to block the road at Haszlach to trap an Austrian Corps which was trying to march through the area. Unfortunately for the French, the Austrians had the advantage of numbers this time, and the commander of one of the supporting French divisions failed to reach the battlefield in time... interview sans cafe and croissant coming up I think.

The player commanding the Austrians is also a determined and very aggressive player who just threw everything he had at the French and cleared them away from the road...

haszlach 3.jpg

Austrians getting stuck in while the French try to hold the town of Haszlach.

haszlach 4.jpg

Austrian heavy cavalry just about to trample a French gun battery into the floor...

haszlach ps10.jpg

Nearly all over - the French have been driven out of the town and still more Austrians are piling in!

haszlach ps11.jpg

What's left of the French do a runner while hoping the rearguard can hold on for a bit longer...

As if this wasn't bad enough, on the same day but about 35 miles further south, the French also tried break out of the confines of the Black Forest valleys at a town called Loffingen. Having beaten the Austrians currently holding Loffingen a few days earlier the French player though he could do the same again...

The Austrian player however had done his personal reccies, looked at the ground and figured it was a good place to fight. He called up reinforcements and positioned them carefully in dead ground out of sight of the road which the French were using as their axis of advance. This time the Austrians had the advantage of numbers - 27,000 troops, of which almost 6,000 were heavy cavalry.

loffingen 2.jpg

French attack begins - Austrian player puts up a fight but slowly gives ground to lure the French forward into his trap... cunning or what?

loffingen 3.jpg

The French follow up - not too many Austrians boys - it looks like another French victory is on the cards!

loffingen 6.jpg

Meanwhile, out of sight on the other side of the low ridge... DRAW SABRES!!!

loffingen 7.jpg

As the French get closer their supporting cavalry brigade on the right flank rides up onto the ridge and... Oh Feck! Where did they come from?

loffingen 9.jpg

The Austrian heavy cavalry advance in two columns. More Austrian cavalry advance in support. The French line and their supporting cavalry would be swept away in the next turn of the game...

loffingen 10.jpg

They think it's all over... It is now! Austrian cavalry rampage through the French positions driving the French away in retreat. I will draw a veil over this sorry scene. Suffice to say the French scrambled to get away somewhat hastily. Most of the French were dispersed into the wooded hills while over 3,500 were taken prisoner.

It will take a couple of game days for the French to rally and count their losses and it will be interesting to see what happens next. Of the three French corps two have just had a good kicking, which has gome some way to make up for the surrender of 13,000 Austrians a couple of days ago.

However, both sides are about to recieve fresh reinforcments, which are currently about to reach the Upper Rhine in the vicinity of Lake Constance. It's still anybody's game :)

Kirkz

LE

Going through some boxes of part finished projects at the moment - found a couple of hundred American Civil War figures, some part painted others just bare metal plus some odds and ends such as staff officers and a couple of horsedrawn wagons. These are last of two large wargaming armies, so I thnk I'll crack on with these next to get them finished off.

First off though I have a bunch of shanty town buidlings in 1/144 scale. These are for a Vietnam wargming project and have been sat on the shelf for so long I'd forgotten about them. They won't take long to paint up then I can addthem to my collection of model scenery (some of them we tarted up and used as garden and vegetable patch sheds etc for my N scale modern Japanese model railway...

My Napoleonic era wargame campaign continues apace. Six days into the campaign and both sides are having their problems, but with 9 game days left to go it is still anyone's guess as to who will win (Historically the French came out on top and the Austrians retreated and requested an armistice)...

The French players have made the running so far, managing to outmanoeuvre one of the Austrian divisions and trapping it in the narrow valleys in the southern end of the Black Forest. The Austrians fought well but were badly outnumbered, cut off from their line of communications and were forced to surrender once they realised they couldn't fight their way out. The French took some 13,000 prisoners and a number of Austrian guns were captured.

So far so good, the French player commander had made a good plan of operations and his subordinates were working well to implement it. The Austrians were on the back foot and struggling to figure out quite where and what the French were doing.

Two days later however, the senior Austrian commander and his 2ic had, as a result of some good intelligence, figured out roughly what the French were doing came up with a plan to grab the initiative. At the same time the French tried to cut off and trap another Austrian Corps at a town called Haszlach (also in the Black Forest). This time things didn't go so well...

A French corps tried to block the road at Haszlach to trap an Austrian Corps which was trying to march through the area. Unfortunately for the French, the Austrians had the advantage of numbers this time, and the commander of one of the supporting French divisions failed to reach the battlefield in time... interview sans cafe and croissant coming up I think.

The player commanding the Austrians is also a determined and very aggressive player who just threw everything he had at the French and cleared them away from the road...

View attachment 506501

View attachment 506502
Austrian heavy cavalry just about to trample a French gun battery into the floor...

View attachment 506506
Nearly all over - the French have been driven out of the town and still more Austrians are piling in!

View attachment 506509
What's left of the French do a runner while hoping the rearguard can hold on for a bit longer...

As if this wasn't bad enough, on the same day but about 35 miles further south, the French also tried break out of the confines of the Black Forest valleys at a town called Loffingen. Having beaten the Austrians currently holding Loffingen a few days earlier the French player though he could do the same again...

The Austrian player however had done his personal reccies, looked at the ground and figured it was a good place to fight. He called up reinforcements and positioned them carefully in dead ground out of sight of the road which the French were using as their axis of advance. This time the Austrians had the advantage of numbers - 27,000 troops, of which almost 6,000 were heavy cavalry.

View attachment 506515
French attack begins - Austrian player puts up a fight but slowly gives ground to lure the French forward into his trap...

View attachment 506516
The French follow up - not too many Austrians - it looks like another French victory is on the cards!

View attachment 506519

View attachment 506521
As the French get closer their supporting cavalry brigade on the right flank rides up onto the ridge and... Oh Feck! Where did they come from?

View attachment 506522
The Austrian heavy cavalry advance in two columns. More Austrian cavalry advance in support. The French line and their supporting cavalry would be swept away in the next turn of the game...

View attachment 506524
They think it's all over... It is now! Austrian cavalry rampage through the French positions driving the French away in retreat. I will draw a veil over this sorry scene. Suffice to say the French scrambled to get away somewhat hastily. Most of the French were dispersed into the wooded hills while over 3,500 were taken prisoner.

It will take a couple of game days for the French to rally and count their losses and it will be interesting to see what happens next. Of the three French corps two have just had a good kicking, which has gome some way to make up for the surrender of 13,000 Austrians a couple of days ago.

However, both sides are about to recieve fresh reinforcments, which are currently about to reach the Upper Rhine in the vicinity of Lake Constance. It's still anybody's game :)
I'd need a full slab to read your posts.
Thankfully I'm not a modeler and can skip past them.

" Dad you're teas ready "

" not now ! I'm waiting for reinforcements from the Prussian Hussars , Napoleon has dug in at Austerlitz again and my lancers are vulnerable on the left flank "

" I'm calling the mental health again unless you come down from the loft "

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

View attachment 506501

View attachment 506502

View attachment 506506

View attachment 506509

View attachment 506515
French attack begins - Austrian player puts up a fight but slowly gives ground to lure the French forward into his trap... cunning or what?

View attachment 506516
The French follow up - not too many Austrians boys - it looks like another French victory is on the cards!

View attachment 506519

View attachment 506521

View attachment 506522

View attachment 506524

Charles Grant Walt

Chaps?
Some advice please?
I'm doing a 1/32nd Tamiya Spitfire ( Xc1 is nearest) Silver Spitfire build soon. Lot's of delete fettling eg sans Brownings etc, and the landing gear wheels....which I can get in resin.
I've traced decals Stateside, so they are ordered up, and custom resin components from Barracuda eg the Merlin cam-cover which have the RR plate moulded, etc.
1600956661667.png

I'd like to foil ideally to achieve G-irty's polished superstructure but being honest, I doubt my skills are there to succeed. Which leaves paint.
2 questions then.
Best undercoat, and which wanna-be chrome/sliver product? I've looked into it a lot online, but tbh there are many conflicting opinions.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Chaps?
Some advice please?
I'm doing a 1/32nd Tamiya Spitfire ( Xc1 is nearest) Silver Spitfire build soon. Lot's of delete fettling eg sans Brownings etc, and the landing gear wheels....which I can get in resin.
I've traced decals Stateside, so they are ordered up, and custom resin components from Barracuda eg the Merlin cam-cover which have the RR plate moulded, etc.
View attachment 506918
I'd like to foil ideally to achieve G-irty's polished superstructure but being honest, I doubt my skills are there to succeed. Which leaves paint.
2 questions then.
Best undercoat, and which wanna-be chrome/sliver product? I've looked into it a lot online, but tbh there are many conflicting opinions.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Alclad. Every time. Use their black primer.

Suggest you try it out on something plastic before you tackle your model as it takes a bit of getting your head around as its consistency is like water, or try watching some youtubes of working with it. I'd use Alclad for the silver also

Alclad. Every time. Use their black primer.

Suggest you try it out on something plastic before you tackle your model as it takes a bit of getting your head around as its consistency is like water, or try watching some youtubes of working with it. I'd use Alclad for the silver also
Thank you. I'd read decent reviews about them. I've got a lot of railway scrap I can try first.

Last edited:

Latest Threads