Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Didn't they have an issue were'as if they started to stall then it was unrecoverable.
If anyone fancies building something just a little larger than normal, Google 'Flying Flea build manual'. The first result should be a link to a pdf of a translation of the original instruction book.

I can't get a hyperlink to work but this is the book my Grandad built his from.
They iirc stall you all the way to the crash.
Fun, but maybe a bad purchase.

lert

LE
Didn't they have an issue were'as if they started to stall then it was unrecoverable.

They iirc stall you all the way to the crash.
Fun, but maybe a bad purchase.
Yeah I've read somewhere that they were a bit of a death trap. Hard to imagine that a home built plane interpreted from some French narrative instructions and no diagrams could be dangerous!

From what I understand the aerofoil was redesigned but I think that even with that the increasing amount of regulations meant an airworthiness chit was out of the question.

What’s the correct colour for the maple leaf emblem on this aircraft? I remember reading something many years ago about the venerable Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk. IX having the leaf as green when it should be red. A quick google reveals both colours on the many profile artworks.

There were many iterations of the Canadian ensign prior to the adoption of the current national flag in 1965.
The red field and Union Jack in the canton were constant, and the changes were made in the shield design which was emblazoned in the fly.
A multiple (3) maple leaf device appeared within this quartered shield device, and were always green until the final iteration in 1957, when they were changed to red.

The symbol on JE-J was green, matching the device on the contemporary ensign.

See the changes from 1868 onwards here:-

Last edited:
Last edited:
1/144 Leopard tank Cupolas - the saga continues
To make the mould I thought I'd give this a go - we ordered some from Green Stuff World in Spain a couple of weeks ago. It is a reusable thermoplastic which softens in hot water and can be applied to the master to make a mould. Leave it in position for a minute to cool and set and that's it.
View attachment 505648

I cast a few sets using Isopon, the car repair material. I started using Isopon to cast components which were going to be used in a mould for casting in metal and the material hadto be tough enough to withstand the temperatures involved. Green stuff, Milliput etc will work, but the heat destroyes the material and it usually just crumbles when you remove the master from the mould. Isopon is designed to take the high temperatures when the car panels etc are placed in a heater unit for fast drying after being sprayed and it works just fine for casting small parts up to a complete AFV hull in 1/144 scale...

That seems to have got me back on track.

The Blue Stuff moulding material is certainly very useful but it does have its limitations. If we hadmadea mould out of RTV Silicone rubber and used a vacuum chamber to pull the air out of the material then the rubber would have sat tight around the masters and the castings would have been sharper with nice crisp edges etc. By hand moulding them it is difficult to get the material to fit as closely to the master so the deifinition is not quite as good.

However, for a wargame model, and bearing in mind the cupolas are only 5mm diameter, I think they'll do. By the time the rest of the detail has been added to the models then I think they'll look fine. :)
Polymorph (Amazon etc) is similar and about a tenner for 250g. I generally use it to fix stuff that is beyond the remit of Harry Black.

PFGEN

GCM
you have to build that - it’s iconic!

Just been looking over the possibilities for aftermarket. That could cost more than the kit, have to make some sensible choices. Will use the kit supplied decals or direct painting for things like the yellow leading edge.

PFGEN

GCM
IIRC it was the gate guardian at Leuchars in the 70s

I think they had more than one but if memory serves the one in the 70s was a later Mk. Turnhouse used to have one as well (bubble canopy), whipped past that one often enough. When they expanded the civi part they replaced it with a dummy. I think the original went to Hendon but could be wrong.

Built in less time ;)

Pretty sure I have a 1:72ish cold war injection moulded one, at least one.,

Belvedere walt....

1600568179188.png

Wouldnt look out of place in British Rail blue and yellow, looks like and engine ffs

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Today in the local charidee shop - massive Revell Flower class corvette in 1/72, same same U Boat, Hobby Boss Avenger, Academy Judy, a GWM Devastator plus a Helldiver and a Dauntless. Also a Cyber Hobby Pzkfw II.

Had to stop myself running to the ATM but not really my bag tbh. They were competitively priced but if you sold on you’d make a bit on them.
I’ve seen some lovely renditions of that corvette.

Amazing work and attention to detail @Rodney2q. Years back I wargamed with Skytrex 1/300 which were recognisible and good enough for the task, even then 1/285 kit was coming out.

But I digress, could you put something in some of the shots to give an idea of the size of your work please? Airfix magazine had a review of a 1/144 scale Flying Flea and in one photo there was a tin of Humbrol or something similar which made me realise how tiny these things are.

I'll try and remember to do that in future...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
How about putting it on the cupola of the real thing.....?

Somewhere I have a photo of me in the turret of a Belgian Leopard, cutting about on a driver training area in Belgium. I'll have to see if I can find it... :)

Latest Threads