Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Bad CO

Admin
Ok, I've just sent him an email. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Kirkz

LE
He's probably drowned in one of those rivers he was always taking pictures of.

ches

LE
Good one on BBC4 at the minute

Unfortunately BBC didn't bother with anything new for this 80th anniversary. Hollands docu & the McGregor brothers one were done over 10 years ago for the 70th. While the shows are good it does say to me that the BBC has a fair degree of disdain for the war generation & actually trying to produce or create something different....although with all this woke shit about it may actually be a relief they've not got full retard with the lack of diversity in the university squadrons.................

Unfortunately BBC didn't bother with anything new for this 80th anniversary. Hollands docu & the McGregor brothers one were done over 10 years ago for the 70th. While the shows are good it does say to me that the BBC has a fair degree of disdain for the war generation & actually trying to produce or create something different....although with all this woke shit about it may actually be a relief they've not got full retard with the lack of diversity in the university squadrons.................
Much as I hate the Beeb, to be fair to them there's been very little new produced this year. Just a thought, but maybe they had something planned?

ches

LE
Much as I hate the Beeb, to be fair to them there's been very little new produced this year. Just a thought, but maybe they had something planned?

I suppose but knowing the production & editing times that these sort of things can take, they would have actually been doing pre-production & filming pre COVID with editing post production happening in June/July. Its nothing new with the beeb though, the same happened with the D-Day 75 centenary too.

PFGEN

GCM
Picked this up the other day. Was thinking about the Mk.8 but found a Mk.9 lurking around the back of the shelves. Way more aftermarket and decal options although Tamiya provides decals for Johnnie Johnson's spit. I might stick with them.

Spit Mk9c.JPG

Today in the local charidee shop - massive Revell Flower class corvette in 1/72, same same U Boat, Hobby Boss Avenger, Academy Judy, a GWM Devastator plus a Helldiver and a Dauntless. Also a Cyber Hobby Pzkfw II.

Had to stop myself running to the ATM but not really my bag tbh. They were competitively priced but if you sold on you’d make a bit on them.

Picked this up the other day. Was thinking about the Mk.8 but found a Mk.9 lurking around the back of the shelves. Way more aftermarket and decal options although Tamiya provides decals for Johnnie Johnson's spit. I might stick with them.

View attachment 505624

you have to build that - it’s iconic!

1/144 Leopard tank Cupolas - the saga continues

Having realised that I had made the original ones too big I sat down and made a second pair (one each for the loader and commander - slight differences)...

Oversized pair at the top, correct size at the bottom...
cupolas 2.jpg

cupolas 3.jpg

To make the mould I thought I'd give this a go - we ordered some from Green Stuff World in Spain a couple of weeks ago. It is a reusable thermoplastic which softens in hot water and can be applied to the master to make a mould. Leave it in position for a minute to cool and set and that's it.
cupolas 4.jpg

One block of the material was enough to make up 4 moulds. Soak in hot water for 5 minutes, about a minute to make each mould and leave to set.
cupolas 5.jpg

Result of 10 minutes work...
cupolas 6.jpg

cupolas 7.jpg

I cast a few sets using Isopon, the car repair material. I started using Isopon to cast components which were going to be used in a mould for casting in metal and the material hadto be tough enough to withstand the temperatures involved. Green stuff, Milliput etc will work, but the heat destroyes the material and it usually just crumbles when you remove the master from the mould. Isopon is designed to take the high temperatures when the car panels etc are placed in a heater unit for fast drying after being sprayed and it works just fine for casting small parts up to a complete AFV hull in 1/144 scale...
cupolas 8.jpg

A quick test fit - Leopard 1 cast turret
cupolas 9.jpg

Leopard 1 A3/A4 Welded turret (still a lot of work to do on this one)...
cupolas 10.jpg

That seems to have got me back on track.

The Blue Stuff moulding material is certainly very useful but it does have its limitations. If we hadmadea mould out of RTV Silicone rubber and used a vacuum chamber to pull the air out of the material then the rubber would have sat tight around the masters and the castings would have been sharper with nice crisp edges etc. By hand moulding them it is difficult to get the material to fit as closely to the master so the deifinition is not quite as good.

However, for a wargame model, and bearing in mind the cupolas are only 5mm diameter, I think they'll do. By the time the rest of the detail has been added to the models then I think they'll look fine. :)

diehard57

War Hero
What’s the correct colour for the maple leaf emblem on this aircraft? I remember reading something many years ago about the venerable Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk. IX having the leaf as green when it should be red. A quick google reveals both colours on the many profile artworks.

View attachment 505624

Chef

LE
Amazing work and attention to detail @Rodney2q. Years back I wargamed with Skytrex 1/300 which were recognisible and good enough for the task, even then 1/285 kit was coming out.

But I digress, could you put something in some of the shots to give an idea of the size of your work please? Airfix magazine had a review of a 1/144 scale Flying Flea and in one photo there was a tin of Humbrol or something similar which made me realise how tiny these things are.

lert

LE
Amazing work and attention to detail @Rodney2q. Years back I wargamed with Skytrex 1/300 which were recognisible and good enough for the task, even then 1/285 kit was coming out.

But I digress, could you put something in some of the shots to give an idea of the size of your work please? Airfix magazine had a review of a 1/144 scale Flying Flea and in one photo there was a tin of Humbrol or something similar which made me realise how tiny these things are.
To be fair though, the Flying Flea was a properly tiny aircraft, even at 1:1.

Thank you for the inspiration to go looking for a kit of one. My Grandad built one before the war and as a Lincolnshire agricultural mechanic decided that the best way to learn to fly was to launch himself from the meadow. Somehow he survived that, a tour with Bomber Command and one with Coastal.

I've got a Lancaster and Catalina kit in the stash, Flying Flea on order!

Last edited:

lert

LE
If anyone fancies building something just a little larger than normal, Google 'Flying Flea build manual'. The first result should be a link to a pdf of a translation of the original instruction book.

I can't get a hyperlink to work but this is the book my Grandad built his from.

Latest Threads