Military Modelling

Had a stash of old 00 scale model railway stuff from when I was a kid. 5 or 6 locos, load of rolling stock. Couldn't shift it on any Facebook model railway groups as it's so old. Popped into my local model shop (Kitstop in Birkenhead) which is one of those old style model shops....a gem of a place.....walked out with a 1/35 Churchill, a 1/24 1950s Alfa Romeo Giulietta & some sundries. Thick end of 70 sheets worth of stuff. Considering the plebs on the railway groups were trying to buy locomotives from my stash for only a fiver so I was about to chuck it in a skip I walked out of the place well chuffed. Am in the middle of getting made redundant so was a nice pick me up on a shitty day.

View attachment 500154

Sorry to hear about your rough day Ches. Those model railway club types are not a breed you would want to hang around with long enough to get a deal, they all smell like they haven't showered this year and have egg down their string vest. least we hope it's egg. Great news that you got a good deal at your local model shop, they're a rare thing these days. So with time on your hands between job applications, what are you building first, the car or the AFV?

Last edited:

Diko

Old-Salt
this is the second time I've considered having a go at this kit. Will I never learn, it's just that... that artwork, it just gets to me everytime. Roy you have a lot to answer for!
View attachment 500213
basic, old and rather fuzzy, such a joyful challenge.
View attachment 500214
mmmm, raised panel lines.
View attachment 500215

the last time I had a go at this kit was a good 15 years ago, I got annoyed and scrapped it, this time another go, and a chance to bury my short Sunderland demons.

blast it, broken off prop blade, and it's not in the bag! that does it, back in the stash for another 15 years.
View attachment 500219
I made this Walrus, a Christmas present, but had difficulty with the rigging.

Attachments

• 6FC37335-2279-4B3C-A8FE-61D4FEF0771D.jpeg
    6FC37335-2279-4B3C-A8FE-61D4FEF0771D.jpeg
    961 KB · Views: 63
Long post so settle down with a cup of tea or something similar...

It's been a busy few weeks at work what with being flooded out during the heavy thunderstorms the other week and having my business partner off for a week fitting a new kitchen at home. However, I have also managed to complete a couple of projects which have been on my desk on and off since last Christmas...

First off I have finished my WW1 1914 Germans and French. There aren't too many of them but some of my wargaming mates are also building French and German armies as well, so between us we should have plenty.

French 1914 - 10mm scale models

ww1 french.jpg

ww1 french infantry and cavalry.jpg

German 1914 - 10mm scale models
ww1 germans.jpg

Next up I have been building some 1914 style scenery to go with the WW1 figures. The buildings are to 6mm scale (approx 1:300) whereas the model figures are 10mm (approx 1:144). Using smaller scale buildings does however allow me to have something that looks like a town or village rather than just one or two larger building models. The difference in scales between the scenery and the model figures doesn't affect the game and looks OK in practice. These BUAs will be used to represent towns and villages such as Mons or Le Catteau. I have made up some industrial areas as well, plus a couple of the famous Mons slag heaps (converted from ordinary vacuum formed hills).

All of the built up areas are modular (based in multiples of 3" squares) so they can be arranged in umpteen different ways for variety. I must have a sh*tload of these BUA bases covering from the Napoleonic period up to the 1980s. I have at least 18 drawers full of stuff like these - I really must have a head count and see how many I have got!

ww1 scenery 1.jpg

ww1 scenery 2.jpg

ww1 scenery 3.jpg

ww1 scenery 4.jpg

ww1 scenery 5.jpg

ww1 scenery 6.jpg

Lastly, I have almost finished a squad of the Games Workshop Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines. My business partner plays the GW 40K game with one of his brothers and a nephew and has offered to run a small mini campaign (a bunch of linked games) for our small gaming group. It sounds like it might be fun and as I was given a bunch of Space Marines some years back I thought I'd better get them finished. I assembled them and gave them a basic paint job last Christmas but they have been on the shelf since then.

Anyway, I decided to finish them off and here's the result. This squad is from a unit which fight more like our modern SF rather than the usual WH40K Space Marines (ie they use camouflage, ambush the enemy when possible, nuke things from orbit and base their ops on careful recce and int reports rather than just waving a chainsword and charging straight at the nearest enemy).

A space marine is supposed to be a genetically engineered, 7' tall, killing machine wearing powered armour. As one of these chaps would theoretically weigh about a third of a ton, rather than paint their armour like a uniform I decided to treat them like vehicles.

I remembered watching a sqn of Challie 2s arriving at the washdown point at Sennelager after a week in the field and how they were splattered with dried mud and covered with a layer of dust. I went for a similar look with these models, trying to create the impression that these marines had been in the field for some time. The armour was painted and highlighted, after which I added some dings and scrapes with a light coloured paint before drybrushing each model with a same light tan colour used on the bases. There are a few little details to add but they are essentially ready for a coat of matt varnish. After all that work no doubt they will be slaughtered in their first table top battle... :)

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm3.jpg
sm4.jpg
sm5.jpg

sm6.jpg

sm7.jpg

sm8.jpg

Next job on my list is to finish my 10mm scale WW2 1944 British infantry. I found a packet of 10mm scale PIAT teams (Piat gunners and No2s) in a drawer the other day and realised that my British infantry and company of Paras don't have their PIATS (the models have been in the drawer for several years!). There are only a couple of dozen 10mm models in the packet so they won't take long to do.

I'll have to check through the other drawers at work and see what else there is to do after that. There is a bunch of 15mm Napoleonic Russian Cossacks, 1:300 scale 1980s US Armoured and West German Panzer Grenadier brigades, and a bucket load of miscellaneous 15mm Napoleonics....

Oh and some 1:150 scale German card building models...

Have a nice weekend all... :thumright:

Attachments

• ww1 german infantry and cavalry.jpg
    ww1 german infantry and cavalry.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Long post so settle down with a cup of tea or something similar...

It's been a busy few weeks at work what with being flooded out during the heavy thunderstorms the other week and having my business partner off for a week fitting a new kitchen at home. However, I have also managed to complete a couple of projects which have been on my desk on and off since last Christmas...

First off I have finished my WW1 1914 Germans and French. There aren't too many of them but some of my wargaming mates are also building French and German armies as well, so between us we should have plenty.

French 1914 - 10mm scale models

View attachment 500450

View attachment 500449

German 1914 - 10mm scale models
View attachment 500451
View attachment 500471

Next up I have been building some 1914 style scenery to go with the WW1 figures. The buildings are to 6mm scale (approx 1:300) whereas the model figures are 10mm (approx 1:144). Using smaller scale buildings does however allow me to have something that looks like a town or village rather than just one or two larger building models. The difference in scales between the scenery and the model figures doesn't affect the game and looks OK in practice. These BUAs will be used to represent towns and villages such as Mons or Le Catteau. I have made up some industrial areas as well, plus a couple of the famous Mons slag heaps (converted from ordinary vacuum formed hills).

All of the built up areas are modular (based in multiples of 3" squares) so they can be arranged in umpteen different ways for variety. I must have a sh*tload of these BUA bases covering from the Napoleonic period up to the 1980s. I have at least 18 drawers full of stuff like these - I really must have a head count and see how many I have got!

View attachment 500453

View attachment 500454

View attachment 500455

View attachment 500456

View attachment 500457

View attachment 500458

Lastly, I have almost finished a squad of the Games Workshop Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines. My business partner plays the GW 40K game with one of his brothers and a nephew and has offered to run a small mini campaign (a bunch of linked games) for our small gaming group. It sounds like it might be fun and as I was given a bunch of Space Marines some years back I thought I'd better get them finished. I assembled them and gave them a basic paint job last Christmas but they have been on the shelf since then.

Anyway, I decided to finish them off and here's the result. This squad is from a unit which fight more like our modern SF rather than the usual WH40K Space Marines (ie they use camouflage, ambush the enemy when possible, nuke things from orbit and base their ops on careful recce and int reports rather than just waving a chainsword and charging straight at the nearest enemy).

A space marine is supposed to be a genetically engineered, 7' tall, killing machine wearing powered armour. As one of these chaps would theoretically weigh about a third of a ton, rather than paint their armour like a uniform I decided to treat them like vehicles.

I remembered watching a sqn of Challie 2s arriving at the washdown point at Sennelager after a week in the field and how they were splattered with dried mud and covered with a layer of dust. I went for a similar look with these models, trying to create the impression that these marines had been in the field for some time. The armour was painted and highlighted, after which I added some dings and scrapes with a light coloured paint before drybrushing each model with a same light tan colour used on the bases. There are a few little details to add but they are essentially ready for a coat of matt varnish. After all that work no doubt they will be slaughtered in their first table top battle... :)

View attachment 500459
View attachment 500460
View attachment 500461View attachment 500462View attachment 500463
View attachment 500464
View attachment 500465
View attachment 500466

Next job on my list is to finish my 10mm scale WW2 1944 British infantry. I found a packet of 10mm scale PIAT teams (Piat gunners and No2s) in a drawer the other day and realised that my British infantry and company of Paras don't have their PIATS (the models have been in the drawer for several years!). There are only a couple of dozen 10mm models in the packet so they won't take long to do.

I'll have to check through the other drawers at work and see what else there is to do after that. There is a bunch of 15mm Napoleonic Russian Cossacks, 1:300 scale 1980s US Armoured and West German Panzer Grenadier brigades, and a bucket load of miscellaneous 15mm Napoleonics....

Oh and some 1:150 scale German card building models...

Have a nice weekend all... :thumright:
Quality work on all of it nice one.

Quality work on all of it nice one.

Thank you. The two things which really improved my modelling was switching over to acrylic paints and ink washes for doing the model figures and when I decided that the model scenery should look like the period it was meant to represent (and not just a bunch of any old model buildings plonked on the tabletop).

I try to match the figure bases to the model scenery so that everything blends in together. The visual aspect of the games is important to me , otherwise I might just as well be playing boardgames with cardboard counters ;-)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Spurred by @Rodney2q to keep going on a little project I started from numerous bits and pieces picked up at a car boot and added to from the spares box:

6BF89578-FD00-4BC3-B68D-A08C4140FEA4.jpeg
Basically the Airfix 1/76 DUKW coming ashore with a mixed load of (weird) ammo and general stores...

And here it is primed:

06925C25-E8A3-497D-8F56-6D2C11A271CF.jpeg
89278AFC-9A45-4947-B037-31D2B13B0ED6.jpeg
BA9A68F8-296D-4F7A-AE57-0D55C574DA8A.jpeg

IIRC they were known as ‘Hedgehogs’ by the opposition. Due to guns sticking out überall.
The Australians in particular, would put pintle-mounted .50 Cals in the bomb-rack doors (they opened so that the wing bomb-racks could be reloaded). One was attacked by EIGHT Ju-88 heavy fighter versions over the Bay of Biscay. It shot down or heavily damaged six of the eight and the remaining two legged it! Tragically a few weeks later, while the pilot was away, the same crew's luck ran out when they were mobbed by Ju-88s in the same manner and shot down with all hands.

I always thought that this, the only landing of a Sunderland on dry land, would make an excellent subject for a Sunderland diorama. I once had the enormous privilege of hosting the (Australian) pilot, Gordon Singleton, who sadly passed away only a couple of years ago:

Just for fun, and because I had some spare time, I laid out all of the 6mm (1:300) scale model building bases I have built over the past 20 years for my wargaming...

This lot fills up almost half of an 8' by 5' table. Over 100 bases and a couple of odds and ends - an airport terminal and an "Arhem" bridge (actually a Z scale model railway bridge)...

Most of the model buildings are ones that I make for a living, with a few unique scratch builds, a few from other commercial manufacturers and some modified "collectibles" picked up at car boot sales over the years.

6mm1.jpg

Middle Eastern scenery for Arab-Israeli games, plus an irrigated farm area for a wargame of the Battle of Chinese farm in 1973...
6mm2.jpg

American Civil War farm buildings...
6mm3.jpg

1980s West germany for NATO v Warsaw Pact games and yes, all of the signs are in German :) )...

The street lights are all scratchbuilt, the cars and trucks are metal castings from another company. Trees are various makes.
6mm4.jpg

6mm5.jpg

6mm6.jpg

6mm7.jpg

Southern European buildings for Napoleonic and 19th century battles in northern Italy
6mm8.jpg

6mm9.jpg

WW2 Eastern Front...
6mm10.jpg

6mm11.jpg

Central Europe - 17th - 19th centuries. Designed for Napolonic Wars, Franco-Prussian war and similar...
6mm12.jpg
6mm13.jpg

These three were bought on holiday in Europe from tourist souvenir shops. Once home I modified them to fit the bases and repainted them...
6mm14.jpg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wonder who this could be.....
118766151_3285946878149485_5140624252282126060_n.jpg

Latest Threads