Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

feu_de_joie

War Hero
7 Field Farce shoulder badge - don't see many of those. Still got mine somewhere. I did the same - miles of D10. Had to negotiate a rather busy railway line at one point. I think we must have been very close to you.
You were probably in my observation arc, my OP was on the roof of a block of flats in Barsinghausen

Kinetic really does pick some interesting topics.

they do. Quite niche and carving out an interesting place in the market.

anyway. This arrived today. I’m toying with a Tiffy and Tempest parallel build after the Wokka. Did you see what I did there?
7AE9D2F7-31AD-44DB-852C-BD9FF6997EC0.jpeg

FD5C251D-3C88-4EA9-AF3D-2393AFD8E649.jpeg

07E0D32B-A28E-4D76-8051-FC2C51462C12.jpeg

wingspan is a little shorter than the Spad - quite interesting comparing a U.K. and US Ordnance platform, which were probably designed roughly in parallel.

93897170-0BE0-4D8A-B6B0-C638F2F913D2.jpeg

booklet looks to be well done.

ches

LE
Is the tempest a new kit or re-released rebadged? Revell have a good 1/32nd range but some of the reviews are terrible as they are old 70s kits in new boxes. Hobbycraft were selling the 1/32 mossie for £20.

Is the tempest a new kit or re-released rebadged? Revell have a good 1/32nd range but some of the reviews are terrible as they are old 70s kits in new boxes. Hobbycraft were selling the 1/32 mossie for £20.

Its the Special Hobby Tempest re-boxed and rebadged for half the price!

7 Field Farce shoulder badge - don't see many of those. Still got mine somewhere. I did the same - miles of D10. Had to negotiate a rather busy railway line at one point. I think we must have been very close to you.

The good old puking panther! :-D

There was a large level crossing with 3 or 4 tracks running out from Hannover (near Ronnenburg I think - Bn HQ was in Benthe). Fun and games having to lay the line under the rails, tying it down at the side and fitting fuses. We had two blokes acting as lookouts for trains coming from either direction and keeping an eye on the traffic barriers.

Last edited:
You were probably in my observation arc, my OP was on the roof of a block of flats in Barsinghausen

That was only about 7 miles from my location. One of the local towns had a beerfest on at the time. We used to send a vehicle round the coy locations each afternoon with the sigs instructions for the next day. Everyone chipped in 5 dm and the guys in the wagon would call in at the beerfest and come back with a couple of buckets full of bottles of beer and ice...

The Sigs Pl WO complained about the amount of drinking but our RSM was an ex-sigs pl WO himself and hada soft spot for us so he told the WO to ignore it as long as the job got done properly (which it did)...

Happy days ;)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yesterday this was posted on the Osprey Publishing blog. As I haven't seen it as yet here, allow me to share it here:

Posted by Martin Windrow
It is with great sadness that I have to record the death of an old friend, and a hugely important contributor to Osprey's lists over no less than 35 years. On 10 August, at the age of 86, the soldier, illustrator, historian and author Mike Chappell died peacefully in hospital in southern France, where he and his wife Marilyn had lived in retirement for the past decade. I know that many people will wish to join me in sending their sincere condolences to Mike's widow and sons.
One of the great illustrators

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Oh goody, another gadget that takes longer to set up than it takes to do the job by hand.

Oh totally, a couple of seconds to shake, the time he spent setting it up you could shake enough paint by hand to do an entire Pride March Diorama. But at the same time, it is clever.

Ok I know it only takes 2 or 3 seconds to shake your paints but I do like this

Back in the day of Humbrol being the only game in town, I used a spare lid with a hole in it, 3v motor glued to the lid, and a piece of spring steel drive belt on the motor shaft which sticks through the lid. Lid goes on tin and the spring whips around inside. Tin of white spirit to clean it. Even semi-crayon like paints surrendered to my amazing device, which is important to spotty youths on a meagre budget.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Back in the day of Humbrol being the only game in town, I used a spare lid with a hole in it, 3v motor glued to the lid, and a piece of spring steel drive belt on the motor shaft which sticks through the lid. Lid goes on tin and the spring whips around inside. Tin of white spirit to clean it. Even semi-crayon like paints surrendered to my amazing device, which is important to spotty youths on a meagre budget.

You should knock an example up, and sent a vid of it to Adam Savage

ches

LE
Had a stash of old 00 scale model railway stuff from when I was a kid. 5 or 6 locos, load of rolling stock. Couldn't shift it on any Facebook model railway groups as it's so old. Popped into my local model shop (Kitstop in Birkenhead) which is one of those old style model shops....a gem of a place.....walked out with a 1/35 Churchill, a 1/24 1950s Alfa Romeo Giulietta & some sundries. Thick end of 70 sheets worth of stuff. Considering the plebs on the railway groups were trying to buy locomotives from my stash for only a fiver so I was about to chuck it in a skip I walked out of the place well chuffed. Am in the middle of getting made redundant so was a nice pick me up on a shitty day.

20200827_184454-02.jpeg

Had a stash of old 00 scale model railway stuff from when I was a kid. 5 or 6 locos, load of rolling stock. Couldn't shift it on any Facebook model railway groups as it's so old. Popped into my local model shop (Kitstop in Birkenhead) which is one of those old style model shops....a gem of a place.....walked out with a 1/35 Churchill, a 1/24 1950s Alfa Romeo Giulietta & some sundries. Thick end of 70 sheets worth of stuff. Considering the plebs on the railway groups were trying to buy locomotives from my stash for only a fiver so I was about to chuck it in a skip I walked out of the place well chuffed. Am in the middle of getting made redundant so was a nice pick me up on a shitty day.

View attachment 500154

sorry to hear that @ches - I hope looking for a new job goes well mate

View attachment 500154
Sorry to see that about the job. I hope something comes along soon for you.

Now our son has been posted further away from us (last unit was the closest possible location) I have taken over a corner of ”his bedroom” for the purposes of modelling, as a result I can reveal that I have commenced building on
the A 34 Comet
1598604468113.jpeg

Further updates will follow when I get a chance.

Latest Threads