Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Sadly, I wont be doing anything for a bit as I now have a cast on after my bike crash last week.
On second check, the hospital realised my wrist is broken, not sprained.

I’m a tad miffed.

Well, better your wrist than your neck! Hope all mends; well and quickly.

Last edited:
C25ECC4F-2AEC-4BAD-9C54-A9EFA3509A2F.jpeg
Not really a big fan of the new kit but found myself tempted by this kit

Dads203

Old-Salt
43 update time for those who are following along, not much bench time lately
but I’ve scratched up the exhaust guard for the 7 quad cables. Aber PE mesh used with a touch of plastic card. The guard isn’t finished yet and needs a bit more work, more plastic card on the ends and a few bolts required yet.

1597699278149.jpeg

1597699334791.jpeg

I’ve also been adding the welds to the armoured roof boxes, magic sculpt epoxy putty, use and textured using the tip of a scalpel blade. it’s also sat on both tracks for the first time now. The rear idler has been modified to allow me to tension the tracks once everything is painted up. The next big item to scratch up is the large cage, ordered the mesh tonight so it should be here in a couple of days, after that the penthouse kit.

1597699414125.jpeg

Last edited:

joey88

Old-Salt
My local model shop was having a stock room clear out today. Picked this kit up for a bargain price.
My dad built this for me when I was a kid, a real trip down memory lane for me. I have got a few other kits on the shelf to do first but I had to get this. Won't be starting it until next year.
20200822_143133.jpg

My local model shop was having a stock room clear out today. Picked this kit up for a bargain price.
My dad built this for me when I was a kid, a real trip down memory lane for me. I have got a few other kits on the shelf to do first but I had to get this. Won't be starting it until next year.View attachment 499072

crack on and post your build in here. Nice one!,

these I am guessing?

That takes me back - during my time in the infantry I spent a couple of years in the signals pl and used to teach line laying etc. During Ex Crusader in 1980 we must have laid about 10-15 miles of cable between Bn HQ and the Coy HQs so that we could stay on radio silence until the enemy tipped up.

On day we lost comms to A Coy and as it was my turn to go and fix it I followed line out from the Cp down alongside the fields towards the next town (this was on the plain just west of Hannover). I got to one spot and the cable just disappeared...

...400 yards further on it reappeared. Anyway I sat down and put a new section of D10 in and tested it.

line repairs ex crusader 80.jpg

It was about then that we realised that there was a RE 432 stopped in the ploughed field (behind me in the pic) where some rough engineer types were trying to distentangle 400 m of D10 from their Barmine layer.

I was finished before they were... :)

My dad built this for me when I was a kid, a real trip down memory lane for me. I have got a few other kits on the shelf to do first but I had to get this. Won't be starting it until next year.View attachment 499072

That will be fun - there are some cracking colour schemes for late war USAAF fighters.

As Sigs on one of the big BAOR exercises. We were flagged down by some inf types as we drove along a road just like this.

Inf flag us down and ask . “ Are you Signals? “

Well we are in a 4 tonner with GBFO antennas and masts , so ”Yes”

Good, opens a sandbag and pours out the remains of a PRC 320.

“Can you fix this , we ran over it .”

“Err No sorry. “
On ex in Poland one of our mobile c/s came across a random TURF-25W lying in the middle of a track, and brought it back to me as the Sigs NCO. I raised the matter at the next bde sigs briefing, no-one coughed to it; held onto it until we got back to Osnatraz on ENDEX, where I signalled that we had it, still no takers. Gave it a couple of months and then the serial number plate appeared to fall off and it became a 'working spare' in my radio store! Still there when I was posted six months later.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

LARD

LE
That takes me back - during my time in the infantry I spent a couple of years in the signals pl and used to teach line laying etc. During Ex Crusader in 1980 we must have laid about 10-15 miles of cable between Bn HQ and the Coy HQs so that we could stay on radio silence until the enemy tipped up.

On day we lost comms to A Coy and as it was my turn to go and fix it I followed line out from the Cp down alongside the fields towards the next town (this was on the plain just west of Hannover). I got to one spot and the cable just disappeared...

...400 yards further on it reappeared. Anyway I sat down and put a new section of D10 in and tested it.

View attachment 499231

It was about then that we realised that there was a RE 432 stopped in the ploughed field (behind me in the pic) where some rough engineer types were trying to distentangle 400 m of D10 from their Barmine layer.

I was finished before they were... :)
7 Field Farce shoulder badge - don't see many of those. Still got mine somewhere. I did the same - miles of D10. Had to negotiate a rather busy railway line at one point. I think we must have been very close to you.

Latest Threads