Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Modelling

Hang onto your FV432s. Someone’s just posted on Britmodeller that the kit is now going for 145 sheets!

@Rodney2q and @Dads203 - Have you had a look at any of the YouTube tutorials for the mould material Oyumaru?
I'm just getting around to attempting a simple domed cover female mould so don't have a clue about it's faithfulness for smaller scale finer detail but it looks useful.

To cut down trees. My first battery had two chainsaws on flick to cut out hide positions

That makes sense, although chopping down trees would actually make them very visible to aerial recce and satellite imagery, particularly the IR stuff...

I spent 3 years as an imagery analyst BTW and saw lots of positions given away by poor cam - dead trees show up very well ;-)

Even so, how long would it take a 4 man tank crew to chop down a tree with a one man bow saw like this?

If they were that useful how come you don't see them on WW2 German AFVs?

It is just another example of German over engineering...

Dads203

Old-Salt
@Rodney2q and @Dads203 - Have you had a look at any of the YouTube tutorials for the mould material Oyumaru?
I'm just getting around to attempting a simple domed cover female mould so don't have a clue about it's faithfulness for smaller scale finer detail but it looks useful.

Not used the stuff but have heard of it, for casting I’d use RTV and polyurethane resin.
pricey but it works well. I have a good friend who has access to all the kit (pressure vessels) so I normally ask him for a favour :winkrazz:

We have looked into it but a machine which will print stuff to the standard set by the company that casts in resin for us is prohibitively expensive and we don't have the time to learn how to operate it.

TBH most of the printed wargame models are not up to our standards...

Here is the same tank produced as a 3D print by another company
View attachment 493775
And that's a larger model (1:100th) than yours, which to my eye is far superior to the printed one. I've bought the odd 1:100th printed model and have been happy with them, but generally only because there was no better alternative for what I wanted.

Last edited:
Here are some 1:100th printed Chaparrals wot I did earlier. They're from the same company. Their models seem to be best when they're relatively slab-sided and flat-topped. Shallow slopes and curves look to be pretty poor unless you pay for eye-wateringly expensive prints from Shapeways or somesuch. I'm really happy with these, though. Good, serviceable and cheap wargames models:

Dads203

Old-Salt
Here are some 1:100th printed Chaparrals wot I did earlier. They're from the same company. Their models seem to be best when they're relatively slab-sided and flat-topped. Shallow slopes and curves look to be pretty poor unless you pay for eye-wateringly expensive prints from Shapeways or somesuch. I'm really happy with these, though. Good, serviceable and cheap wargames models:

They look superb fella, nice crisp details on small kit ^_^

They look superb fella, nice crisp details on small kit ^_^
Cheers! They have some issues - the 'hoops' for the canvas tilt stowed at the front of the vehicle are really badly printed. I was going to replace them with some brass wire hoops, but then decided that life's too short and 'fixed' the issue with some painted black lines. There is also some 'stepping' on the missile noses. Strangely, the curved gunner's canopy didn't suffer at all from 'stepping' and looks perfectly smooth after a bit of paint and some gloss varnish.

The only other options at that scale were QRF's metal model, which is pretty poor (I like a lot of QRF's stuff, but some of it is pretty shabby) and the Team Yankee resin/metal model, which is nice, but comes in boxes of four (I only wanted two) and is about twice the price of the BPM model.

Lovely paint job...

Lovely paint job...
Ta! I avoided doing the Yanks for a long time, due to a dread of having to paint MERDC camo and Woodland camo uniforms, but I'm finding it surprisingly fun. I think I can now paint the M113 MERDC scheme without reference to the painting guide! :) I couldn't find the MERDC scheme for Chaparral though, so had to work from photos.

Daz

LE

I'm torn between giving you and @Rodney2q a "well done", or just calling you bastards for being able to see in that scale, let alone carrying out the cracking work shown by the pair of you

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not used the stuff but have heard of it, for casting I’d use RTV and polyurethane resin.
pricey but it works well. I have a good friend who has access to all the kit (pressure vessels) so I normally ask him for a favour :winkrazz:
Being a total newbie to casting, I usually make a mould in milliput and put a well-greased (stop it!) Master in; I take it the pressure vessel is to remove air bubbles, or am I being thick?

I'm torn between giving you and @Rodney2q a "well done", or just calling you bastards for being able to see in that scale, let alone carrying out the cracking work shown by the pair of you
I'll take a 'Bastard', thanks. :D @Rodney2q is already a confirmed bastard for this: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/upcoming-shows-etc-etc.285936/page-6#post-9654040

Seriously though, Rodney2q is a true modelling god and I've drooled over his good works ever since an article about his Stalingrad Grain Elevator model appeared in one of the mags. If I didn't already have shitloads of Cold War kit in 1:100th (15mm) I'd be buying a ton of his Cold War stuff now.

I'm a painter, not a modeller and a lover, not a fighter (which is ironic, as they don't half put up a struggle).

Dads203

Old-Salt
Being a total newbie to casting, I usually make a mould in milliput and put a well-greased (stop it!) Master in; I take it the pressure vessel is to remove air bubbles, or am I being thick?

Pops the resin under pressure and compresses the air bubbles down, you can make a vessel from a pressure cooker and connect it to your airbrush compressor. Thats how Eduard and other companies produce bubble free resin stuff. They do it on an industrial scale using autoclaves.

Dads203

Old-Salt
A few more progress photo's on the 43, not had much bench time coupled with scratch building makes for very slow progress.

I have a mate 3D printing up the Clansman fit, 321, DMU and a boat load of RCU's, I'll have to butter him up and get him to do a few loudspeakers. I've seen the renders for the VRC 321 and they look superb, the test print was also good but I don't have a picture to hand to show yet.

On to what I have done, SRBB is now almost done, well the basic shape anyway, plastic card used and good ol Tamiya Extra Thin. I've also done the fuel tank breather valve, Takom missed this for some reason, just need to add the rubber pipe from lead solder later.

1596475993663.png

1596475840480.png

1596475856444.png

1596475870059.png

1596475889892.png

Fuel tank breather

1596476022461.png

Back door details

1596477266504.png

1596477294826.png

And the inside with the Gene box and RF filters, Power cables going to the master switch.

1596477861957.png

A couple from the personal collection, Mission service at the pack bay, San Seb Bks 1992 and nice note left on the back bin by the nice REME folk.

1596476879471.png

And the interior that I have to scratch up , not sure how I'm going to sculpt the lazy tech though?

1596477157322.png

Last edited:

Dads203

Old-Salt
Test print of the 321 radios, these have been tweaked to sharpen up the details

1596525005147.jpeg

This is V2

1596525124536.jpeg

1596525329937.jpeg

1596527342148.jpeg
Getting close to a reasonable radio set.

Last edited:

Latest Threads