Military Modelling

Kirkz

LE
Go on have a stab at it, it's not like you have got a lot invested in it.
It's difficult enough trying not to glue my thumb to the back of my dental bridge.
I'd rather the model was somewhere it was appreciated or at the very least used for spares.
I have a house crammed with stuff as it is, I'm surprised I haven't featured on "Hoarding Buried Alive".

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's difficult enough trying not to glue my thumb to the back of my dental bridge.
I'd rather the model was somewhere it was appreciated or at the very least used for spares.
I have a house crammed with stuff as it is, I'm surprised I haven't featured on "Hoarding Buried Alive".
I can agree with that! You should see his vinyl collection or whatever percentage is on the shelves.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
@Dads203, what's really nice to see is realistic levels of finishing and weathering.

Too many modellers add 'realistic' weld seams that are hopelessly, massively over-scale, for instance. Then they compound matters by adding paint chipping that you just don't see on real vehicles.

The M113, to me, nails it. (Not that the others don't...)

Dads203

Clanker
@Dads203, what's really nice to see is realistic levels of finishing and weathering.

Too many modellers add 'realistic' weld seams that are hopelessly, massively over-scale, for instance. Then they compound matters by adding paint chipping that you just don't see on real vehicles.

The M113, to me, nails it. (Not that the others don't...)
Cheers fella, I try and keep things like weathering to realistic levels on my builds, some go for the real artistic look and show some amazing talent but it’s just not in keeping with how it would look for real.
A visit to the Telford show and the competition tables highlights some fantastic skills but for the most you would never see some of the builds in the state they are modelled if they were real.

Cheers fella, I try and keep things like weathering to realistic levels on my builds, some go for the real artistic look and show some amazing talent but it’s just not in keeping with how it would look for real.
A visit to the Telford show and the competition tables highlights some fantastic skills but for the most you would never see some of the builds in the state they are modelled if they were real.
I’m with you on Telford. I grew up in the 60s/70s and was lucky enough to join a North London war gaming club when I was about 14 run by ‘Bish’ Iwaszko:

Bish Iwaszko

Bish was always banging on about too much weathering, arguing that a lot of kit wouldn’t have survived long enough!

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Which, to me, negates the effort. If you're trying to reproduce something which actually exists/existed, why the hell make it unrealistic?

Just after I left the Regt (2RTR), I attended a few meeting of my Dads modelling Club.
Some of the AFV weathering, was to say the least interesting!

Dads203

Clanker
One of the flying things that I built a year or so ago, my brother served on 771 NAS so this was done for him. It’s the Airfix crab version converted and super detailed to a HU5.
This build led onto a commission build Which was better, shame I had to hand it over.

1594671214724.jpeg

1594671367338.jpeg

1594671276949.jpeg

1594671320299.jpeg

1594671498495.jpeg

1594671601088.jpeg

1594671719415.jpeg

1594671867490.jpeg

1594672324377.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
One of the flying things that I built a year or so ago, my brother served on 771 NAS so this was done for him. It’s the Airfix crab version converted and super detailed to a HU5.

View attachment 489482
View attachment 489486
View attachment 489484
View attachment 489485
That is very nice, the down draft on the sea is particularly impressive!!
Have you seen the work of the bloke who, puts his maritime models in clear plastic.
For the life of me I can’t remember it’s proper name.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just to add my twopennorth to the "weathering" debate, I saw several examples of over-weathered and rusty vehicles when Chorley Military model club held a D-Day build. Considering most of the vehicles had only recently come ashore, there were some pretty unrealistic dust stains on vehicles and some horrendous weathering. I would imagine that every division had a full CES check and any sub-standard vehicles were swapped out. I can also imagine that various Regimental Commanders and Badge men wanted their kit in pretty good shape prior to their crossing the channel.Paint jobs would have been pretty immaculate prior to launch and would only have suffered salt spray during the crossing and the occasional scrape or dent. By the end of week one, the paint jobs would still have been pretty good and only basic dirt and debris would have accumulated. There wouldn't have been that much in the way of fading on the paint, especially as the weather wasn't that good.
I also saw some over-enthusiastic rust application on desert vehicles in the El Alamein category. Seriously? I thought everyone was aware that wooden truck sides don't rust!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Just to add my twopennorth to the "weathering" debate, I was several examples of over-weathered and rusty vehicles when Chorley Military model club held a D-Day build. Considering most of the vehicles had only recently come ashore, there were some pretty unrealistic dust stains on vehicles and some horrendous weathering. I would imagine that every division had a full CES check and any sub-standard vehicles were swapped out. I can also imagine that various Regimental Commanders and Badge men wanted their kit in pretty good shape prior to their crossing the channel.Paint jobs would have been pretty immaculate prior to launch and would only have suffered salt spray during the crossing and the occasional scrape or dent. By the end of week one, the paint jobs would still have been pretty good and only basic dirt and debris would have accumulated. There wouldn't have been that much in the way of fading on the paint, especially as the weather wasn't that good.
I also saw some over-enthusiastic rust application on desert vehicles in the El Alamein category. Seriously? I thought everyone was aware that wooden truck sides don't rust!
Yes. Someone made that point over on www.missing-lynx.com - Normandy vehicles would have been pretty much pristine, not showing months and months of wear. Some of the Centaur IVs that you see, for instance, look absolutely knackered. Totally misses the point.

Just to add my twopennorth to the "weathering" debate, I was several examples of over-weathered and rusty vehicles when Chorley Military model club held a D-Day build. Considering most of the vehicles had only recently come ashore, there were some pr etty unrealistic dust stains on vehicles and some horrendous weathering. I would imagine that every division had a full CES check and any sub-standard vehicles were swapped out. I can also imagine that various Regimental Commanders and Badge men wanted their kit in pretty good shape prior to their crossing the channel.Paint jobs would have been pretty immaculate prior to launch and would only have suffered salt spray during the crossing and the occasional scrape or dent. By the end of week one, the paint jobs would still have been pretty good and only basic dirt and debris would have accumulated. There wouldn't have been that much in the way of fading on the paint, especially as the weather wasn't that good.
Someone I know made a CVRT Scorpion, did a nice job of weathering! Apart from one slight problem and I had to say to him....err you do know a Scorpion is made of Aluminium!

Dads203

Clanker
I’ve seen the same with the Italeri 1/35 E boats, beautifully weathered with rusty hulls, shame really as they were made of wood. Mind you I had a mate who walted it as an underwater wood welder on the lash, he might know different :-D

Dads203

Clanker
One more I’ll share with you chaps, Trumpeter T-64, homemade static grass applicator used on the base, great kit to build.

1594674908764.jpeg

1594674971691.jpeg
1594674933455.jpeg

1594675053916.jpeg

1594675008828.jpeg

1594677332320.jpeg

Last edited:
One more I’ll share with you chaps, Trumpeter T-64, homemade static grass applicator used on the base, great kit to build.

View attachment 489500
View attachment 489502View attachment 489501
View attachment 489506

View attachment 489504
View attachment 489513
That's the only view of a T 64 I wanted to see.
As far as weathering goes, I agree about it being overdone. If a real vehicle was as paint chipped and rusty as some modellers insist on, the RSM would throw a track.

Latest Threads