Military Modelling

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I used to use an ink wash on faces for larger scale wargames figures before adding the final highlights. The big advantage is that a suitable water basedwash will dry relatively slowly, allowing the shading pigment to settle into the creases etc giving a subtle shading effect without you having to try and blend it all in.

This will give you the idea:

I use washes for painting pretty much everything these days - figures, vehicles, scenery.
I use a lot of washes myself, very useful tool, they get less effective the larger the scale but still very useful. Where they shine on larger scale stuff is stuff like leather to show wear etc.

Dads203

Clanker
Cheers chaps, some washes have brought a bit more balance
to the flesh tones, here is V2 of one of the crewman.

I found a Vallejo flesh wash in the paint stash and found this useful to map out the areas of shadow.

1594625011316.png

1594625030964.png

Cheers for feedback and the tips.

Dan

Dads203

Clanker
How do you keep your worktop so tidy?
Tidy, if you saw it you wouldn’t be saying that:-D it’s like a grenade has gone off on the bench at the mo.

What did help was the HZ storage stuff I bought last year, it’s modular and clips together with magnets, not exactly cheap but well worth it

Cheers chaps, some washes have brought a bit more balance
to the flesh tones, here is V2 of one of the crewman.

I found a Vallejo flesh wash in the paint stash and found this useful to map out the areas of shadow.

View attachment 489294

View attachment 489295

Cheers for feedback and the tips.

Dan
I think you will find that this is one of the best, if not THE best thread on Arrse for civilised conversation and a bit of amiable p*sstaking.

There is a wealth of experience and advice to call on and folks are happy to help.

The vitriol, bile and hysterics posted on other threads is thankfully absent here, which means we can get on with stuff and discuss our toys. =-)

Last edited:

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not 35th scale but worth sharing. This is outstanding.

View attachment 489035
That is some outrageously outstanding work! Even my missus shut her gob! This is the reason why I only do small scale figures, I'm crap at them. Some people have an amazing amount of talent.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think you will find that this is one of the best, if not THE best thread on Arrse for civilised conversation and a bit of amiable p*sstaking.

There is a wealth of experience and advice to call on and folks are happy to help.

The vitriol, bile and hysterics posted on other threads is thankfully absent here, which means we can get on with stuff and discuss our toys. =-)
Thanks for your comments @Rodney2q it shows the level of respect we all have for each other and how much we're all prepared to help each other. To be honest, I was hesitant at first about joining the forum, being nothing more than a dabbler, however, having read many comments and dipped my metaphorical toe in the water, I find I spend more time on this forum than any other. It is the efforts of everyone that makes this a friendly, welcoming place and an area of the site which can expand with the same like-minded people.
Keep up the good work guys and keep the dross out.

daz

LE
I'm saying nuffing
Ai, because mines like the after-effects of a Tallboy, your's is more like the after-effects of a DBZ ;)

daz

LE
Thanks for your comments @Rodney2q it shows the level of respect we all have for each other and how much we're all prepared to help each other. To be honest, I was hesitant at first about joining the forum, being nothing more than a dabbler, however, having read many comments and dipped my metaphorical toe in the water, I find I spend more time on this forum than any other. It is the efforts of everyone that makes this a friendly, welcoming place and an area of the site which can expand with the same like-minded people.
Some people were hesitant on joining the forum like yourself, some of us got rounded up and frogmarched into the forum for some odd reason :)

Kirkz

LE
Some people were hesitant on joining the forum like yourself, some of us got rounded up and frogmarched into the forum for some odd reason :)
I only popped in here to pass on a model I found in a skip and I've been stuck here ever since.
For some unknown reason I haven't yet been RoPed/banned.
Oh! I still have the airfix 1:76 Cromwell MkIV starter kit going begging.

daz

LE
I only popped in here to pass on a model I found in a skip and I've been stuck here ever since.
I think @SPROCKET321 was into the Cromwell scene

come on Kirkz, we want to see you have a go at the kit and post your progress on here. you get the piss taken, this is arrse, but you'll get a lot of support too. you were destined to find it in a skip for a reason.

daz

LE
I was watching the Oliver Cromwell movie with Richard Harris and Alec Guinness as the scot king, Olly chopped his head off, that's my only Cromwell connection.
Cromwell, Churchills..... all the same thing, green boxes with shooty things on tracks

Kirkz

LE
come on Kirkz, we want to see you have a go at the kit and post your progress on here. you get the piss taken, this is arrse, but you'll get a lot of support too. you were destined to find it in a skip for a reason.
With my eyesight and shaky fingers the only thing I glue these days is my dentures back in

Latest Threads