Military Modelling

I've finally managed to tempt @Dads203 onto ARRSE. A former Scaley and cold war warrior and IMHO one of the finest armour modellers in the UK.

I know he'll go all shy now, but welcome on board matey. I'm sure everyone will be absolutely delighted to see some of your work.

Not sure about the green face paint on the figure - I'm sure we didn't use it in the early 80s. It was still the darkbrown max factor stuff in 82.

While it is a very nice sculpt it looks a bit slim and graceful. Most of the troops were walking around like DPM Michelin men, bulked up layers of clothing to keep warm. The Parkas were designed to be worn over quilted liners and did not fit as closely as that one. IMHO it all looks a bit to neat and tidy - the webbing looks like it's half empty as well - and no respirator case either. We didn't take respirators as there was no NBC threat but everyone took the cases for the carrying capacity. Useful for extra rations, spare socks or ammunition. IIRC I kept some scoff, brew kit, spare gloves, a paperback and some writing material in mine.

View attachment 488436
This is more like it... my mate Paul and one of the RMP attached to 5 Inf Bde

Excellent paint job on the model but it doesn't look bulky enough (or dirty enough) and the webbing would have been packed out with extra ammunition etc.
After 30 minutes, your mate Paul finally found something in the QM's truck that fitted.

Dads203

Clanker
Morning all and cheers for the intro Si

I’m flattered at your comment matey, I’d say more an average modeller though :thumright:
I’ll get some phots up later once I get the day job out the way chaps.

Dan

I've finally managed to tempt @Dads203 onto ARRSE. A former Scaley and cold war warrior and IMHO one of the finest armour modellers in the UK.

I know he'll go all shy now, but welcome on board matey. I'm sure everyone will be absolutely delighted to see some of your work.
Chiefy and Chally 1 and you will have @CrashTestDummy wetting himself :)

After 30 minutes, your mate Paul finally found something in the QM's truck that fitted.
Actually the pile of kit is abandoned Argentine kit - we were looking through it for information which might be useful. We found US training manuals which had been translated into Spanish, diaries, unit momentoes - all sorts of stuff which gave us a good insight into their morale ("dear diary, it is very cold, we are not being fed and we all have the sh*ts"), tactics (based on US practice) and training.

:)

Dads203

Clanker
Test pic for you. Takom Bergepanzer 2
The latest project, still loads to do with the weathering yet

1594374910200.jpeg

1594375039182.jpeg

1594383531256.png

1594383627307.png

1594383589363.png

1594383678406.png

1594383696735.png

1594383727897.png

More later chaps

Dan

Last edited:
Morning all and cheers for the intro Si

I’m flattered at your comment matey, I’d say more an average modeller though :thumright:
I’ll get some phots up later once I get the day job out the way chaps.

Dan
Welcome aboard! I really must finish the Chieftain you kindly sent some bits for after we corresponded in the other place. Perhaps this winter when it's a bit grim to be out cycling!

Pfft. Can’t see what all the fuss and anticipation was about! Is Si just trying to divert our attention from the Wokka?

That’s is efin fantastic by the way. Welcome to Arrse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oi. Just waiting to finish the Spad and I'm back on it

A couple more of the chally build, just to bore you all

Its one of of my favourite builds TBH

Dan
I was willing to greet you with boundless enthusiasm, but after seeing this picture I am just going to retreat into the corner and cry.

Welcome to ARRSE you utter bastard!

Dads203

Clanker
Cheers for the great welcome chaps, nice to here finally :thumright:
Been lurking for a while now so Si has finally nagged me into joining up,
as Si said, ex scaley with 12 years under my belt. Demobbed back in 2001 and spent half of my time in Germany (Soest and Herford)
I’m half way through a Takom 432 build but being converted into my old det when I was at 206 Sig Sqn in Soest. It’s been a stalled build for a year or two but it’s going back on the build table after the Bergepanzer.
1594380906155.jpeg

1594380933097.jpeg

1594381022168.jpeg

1594382994549.png

Cheers

Dan

Last edited:
as Si said, ex scaley with 12 years under my belt. Demobbed back in 2001 and spent half of my time in Germany (Soest and Herford)
I’m half way through a Takom 432 build but being converted into my old det when I was at 206 Sig Sqn in Soest. It’s been a stalled build for a year or two but it’s going back on the build table after the Bergepanzer.
View attachment 488586
View attachment 488587
View attachment 488588
Cheers

Dan
That might come in handy for me - I have a 432 signals version to produce in 1/144 scale sometime. I shall watch this one with interest... :)

daz

LE
Pfft. Can’t see what all the fuss and anticipation was about! Is Si just trying to divert our attention from the Wokka?

That’s is efin fantastic by the way. Welcome to Arrse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Si's building a Wokka?? I think you've made that up :)

daz

LE
View attachment 488586
View attachment 488587
View attachment 488588
View attachment 488598

Cheers

Dan
Soest, block 46?

Latest Threads