Military Modelling

I have some reference pics for that one...

I'm sure I have a small bit of that one at home somewhere...

:p
Whoever pulled all those bits from the cockpit might like to wonder what would have happened if he they had activated an ejector seat.........

I seem to recall that it took a long time for people to twig that - like sometime in 1983 - before belated action was taken. Mind you, I think I've still got a bit of Pucara somewhere...............

That must make you 400 years old then as they were using in in Vietnam to stick wounds together!
Originally intended to assemble the elements in weapon optics, but found favour with medics in the field. I first saw it demonstrated in Hamleys, possibly in 1969. Must have been 10 years later before I first used it to stick Velcro in Gazelle...
Edit: Gazelle of course, required the use of many types of araldite, whereas Scout had 4 patches requiring dope. Sioux tail rotor blades were also doped, which bizarrely made them very attractive to cows so as well as NBC sentries, we needed cow chasers to stop them being chewed.
on thread: I’m still working on my semi scale Beaver which has suffered badly in 3 house moves, and no progress with the 1/72 Eduardo stripped down Sopwith Camel.

Last edited:
Whoever pulled all those bits from the cockpit might like to wonder what would have happened if he they had activated an ejector seat.........

I seem to recall that it took a long time for people to twig that - like sometime in 1983 - before belated action was taken. Mind you, I think I've still got a bit of Pucara somewhere...............
I think the top bits were from a Pucara at what was then RAF Stanley. Seems to include part of a roundel. Other bits may have been from an Aermacchi.

2020 Picara +  bits July 2.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
As you may remember I've recently made a boat (Nelson era Bomb ketch ) and a plane ( 1918 SE5a) , both from wood. So next I decided to look for something land based , but still a wooden model as I'm enjoying trying to revive old skills. Obviously not much recent stuff fits, except the early "that Rifle" furniture , so I had to go back a bit further into the past. It's military and a model ,so I think it is eligible for this thread. :)
Fullscreen capture 05072020 172723.bmp.jpg
As before updates will follow, unless it ends up in the bin.

As you may remember I've recently made a boat (Nelson era Bomb ketch ) and a plane ( 1918 SE5a) , both from wood. So next I decided to look for something land based , but still a wooden model as I'm enjoying trying to revive old skills. Obviously not much recent stuff fits, except the early "that Rifle" furniture , so I had to go back a bit further into the past. It's military and a model ,so I think it is eligible for this thread. :)View attachment 487320 As before updates will follow, unless it ends up in the bin.
What have the Romans ever done for us?

daz

LE
As you may remember I've recently made a boat (Nelson era Bomb ketch ) and a plane ( 1918 SE5a) , both from wood. So next I decided to look for something land based , but still a wooden model as I'm enjoying trying to revive old skills. Obviously not much recent stuff fits, except the early "that Rifle" furniture , so I had to go back a bit further into the past. It's military and a model ,so I think it is eligible for this thread. :)View attachment 487320 As before updates will follow, unless it ends up in the bin.
That's next doors cat/dogs/children fucked then :)

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone modelling a 1/72 scale SdKfz 124 Wespe, I've got a gun barrel and supercharger going for free. PM me your details and I'll chuck it your way.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just a couple of things I've been doing during lockdown:

Albion AM463 GS Truck (30cwt) - used solely by the RAF during WW2 until 1943. Many were captured by the Germans at Dunkirk and used as supply trucks. At least 100 Trucks were used by the RAF in the Middle-East and also the Western Desert. One of two were used by LRDG, but were found not to be robust for the use intended.
The kit is Lead-Sled's 1/35 scale Albion AM463 GS Lorry, model number LS-AA3511, now discontinued.

IMG_20200707_170116.jpg

IMG_20200707_170009.jpg

Austin 10hp Utility (Tilly) - used by all three services during WW2. My model shows a Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal Tilly belonging to 47th London Division, as evinced by the red bow and red bells (bow bells). All Bomb Disposal vehicles had red gloss front and rear wings, to enable them to be seen easier.
Kit is Tamiya's 10hp Utility Car, model number 35308.
IMG_20200707_170034.jpg

IMG_20200707_170043.jpg

The Bow Bells Divisional patch
47th-infdiv.jpg

47 London Infantry Division.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mrs Smeg (The Leader of the Opposition) has just earned herself breakfast in bed for a few days. This was delivered to Casa Smeg today! I can think of a kit I can pair it with.
kit_35074-1000x750.jpg

WES 35074 Mack Montys Caravan-1000x750.jpg

BopBopBop

War Hero
Just a couple of things I've been doing during lockdown:

Albion AM463 GS Truck (30cwt) - used solely by the RAF during WW2 until 1943. Many were captured by the Germans at Dunkirk and used as supply trucks. At least 100 Trucks were used by the RAF in the Middle-East and also the Western Desert. One of two were used by LRDG, but were found not to be robust for the use intended.
The kit is Lead-Sled's 1/35 scale Albion AM463 GS Lorry, model number LS-AA3511, now discontinued.

View attachment 487899

View attachment 487902

Austin 10hp Utility (Tilly) - used by all three services during WW2. My model shows a Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal Tilly belonging to 47th London Division, as evinced by the red bow and red bells (bow bells). All Bomb Disposal vehicles had red gloss front and rear wings, to enable them to be seen easier.
Kit is Tamiya's 10hp Utility Car, model number 35308.
View attachment 487906
View attachment 487907

The Bow Bells Divisional patch
View attachment 487908
47 London Infantry Division.
That truck reminds me of an old 1967 film The Jokers (On youtube). EOD want to steal the Crown Jewels.
Screenshot_20200708-194940.png
Screenshot_20200708-195802.png

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
From the view shown above, that looks like an Austin K3, 2X4 GS Truck. Not as plentiful as the K2(Katy) or the K5, many remained under home command during WW2 and were among the first to be auctioned off at the end of the war. Used predominantly as a Radio/Wireless vehicle, in civvy street they were favoured by the transport industry as a small load carrier.

Bloody hell... you lot have been keeping busy. Most of you seem to have made the model and posted pics on here before I have got up, scratched my balls and had a cup of coffee... :wink:

I am still running a Napoleonic wargame campaign set in 1800. There has been a couple of battles and things are getting interesting. The Austrian players are realising that something seems to have gone wrong but haven't yet figured out what the French are doing or come up with a plan to deal with it, while the French have been pretty switched on and jumped on an isolated part of the Austrian army and given it a good kicking. Even so the French players don't know what the rest of the Austrians are doing... The "fog of war" is magnificent to behold! :)

Here's a few pics from the latest battle

rb mahlberg 039.jpg

An Austrian general is surprised when one of his units runs past him pursued by French cavalry.

ps mahlberg 038.jpg

French troops getting stuck in

mahlberg castle and town 2.jpg

The nearby town had a castle on a hill overlooking the town. In 2011, while on holiday in France, I bought a resin cast model of a French Chateau in the Dordogne region (the Chateau Des Milandes if anyone is interested - beautiful building and worth a visit if you are in the area). Anyway, I played around with the model and removed it from the resin plinth and added some realistic ground work and some trees before repainting it. Nine years later I finally got to use on my games table as a standing for the schloss at Mahlberg in Germany... :)

In other news... I have been paiting some 10mm scale 1914 German troops to go with my 1914 BEF models. I managed about 60 infantry, 16 cavalry and several guns and machine guns. Just some dismounted cavalry to do now. I should have them finished by the weekend and just have the scenic bases to do then. I'll try and get some pics to post next week.

offog

LE
Bloody hell... you lot have been keeping busy. Most of you seem to have made the model and posted pics on here before I have got up, scratched my balls and had a cup of coffee... :wink:
That may be you problem.

WIP on it here
Not sure about the green face paint on the figure - I'm sure we didn't use it in the early 80s. It was still the darkbrown max factor stuff in 82.

While it is a very nice sculpt it looks a bit slim and graceful. Most of the troops were walking around like DPM Michelin men, bulked up layers of clothing to keep warm. The Parkas were designed to be worn over quilted liners and did not fit as closely as that one. IMHO it all looks a bit to neat and tidy - the webbing looks like it's half empty as well - and no respirator case either. We didn't take respirators as there was no NBC threat but everyone took the cases for the carrying capacity. Useful for extra rations, spare socks or ammunition. IIRC I kept some scoff, brew kit, spare gloves, a paperback and some writing material in mine.

june 82_1.jpg

This is more like it... my mate Paul and one of the RMP attached to 5 Inf Bde

Excellent paint job on the model but it doesn't look bulky enough (or dirty enough) and the webbing would have been packed out with extra ammunition etc.

Kirkz

LE
Not sure about the green face paint on the figure - I'm sure we didn't use it in the early 80s. It was still the darkbrown max factor stuff in 82.

While it is a very nice sculpt it looks a bit slim and graceful. Most of the troops were walking around like DPM Michelin men, bulked up layers of clothing to keep warm. The Parkas were designed to be worn over quilted liners and did not fit as closely as that one. IMHO it all looks a bit to neat and tidy - the webbing looks like it's half empty as well - and no respirator case either. We didn't take respirators as there was no NBC threat but everyone took the cases for the carrying capacity. Useful for extra rations, spare socks or ammunition. IIRC I kept some scoff, brew kit, spare gloves, a paperback and some writing material in mine.

View attachment 488436

Excellent paint job on the model but it doesn't look bulky enough (or dirty enough) and the webbing would have been packed out with extra ammunition etc.
It was still the dark brown Max Factor stuff in 85.

offog

LE

View attachment 488436

Now you point things out I have had a closer look. The putties looked wrong and it took a much closer look to see why. They are not put on properly and are back to front. Having said that it is difficult to find a good clear picture on the net. He does have a 44 water bottle.

As to cam cream, I can't remember when we started using the private purchase brown and green US sticks.

Now you point things out I have had a closer look. The putties looked wrong and it took a much closer look to see why. They are not put on properly and are back to front. Having said that it is difficult to find a good clear picture on the net. He does have a 44 water bottle.

As to cam cream, I can't remember when we started using the private purchase brown and green US sticks.
After leaving the regulars I joined a TA Yeomanry unit. Only had the Max Factor cam cream until the mid 90s when the three colour stuff (with the supposed bug repellent mixed in it) began to be issued, along with the replacement for the 58 pattern webbing.

Last edited:

View attachment 488436

I guess that lad that did the original sculpture didnt want to sculpt a bag of sh*t tied in the middle with string or he wouldnt sell many!

Latest Threads