Military Modelling

A liitle bit of lighweight fluff for you...

I'm not up to the standards of aircraft modelling shown here but I do enjoy wargaming with model aircraft. I recenty ordered three 1/200 scale Dornier Do17z for wargaming the battle of Britain and they arrived yesterday. The models come ready painted, with basic markings, plus flight stands and all the counters and bits for playing with them. The box also includes a decal sheet...

View attachment 479181

View attachment 479182

These models represent aircraft from KG 76 and are pre-painted in the standard early war colour scheme for the Blitzkrieg and Battle of Britain period.
View attachment 479183

View attachment 479184

This evening I spent nearly 45 minutes putting the decals on the models - fuselage numbers, unit ID letters and heraldic badges etc. I do not get on with decals...after half an hour my wife put her head round the door and said she could hear me swearing from the living room. I was working in the sun room on the far end of the dining room... Hey ho... got them all on in the end and only need a spot of black paint to finish the swastikas. Like most models sold in the EU they are not allowed to have proper swastikas...

View attachment 479191

I am planning on having a game with these in the next few days so I'll try and remember to take some pics.

Finally, I have been working from a much smaller table at home for the past 10 weeks, rather than my usual desk at work. I have been renovating a couple of old designs which need new moulds and designing some new 1/144 scale model buildings rather than designing new 1/144 AFVs.

The company that makes the AFV moulds and does the resin casting has had to reduce its staffing levels and cannot start on any new models until they can get their staff back in. I have therefore had to put the AFVs on hold for the time being and instead have been designing modern (1980's - ish) German buildings for use as scenery to go with the the NATO and WARPACT models. Apart from anything else it is easier to make the buildings on the smaller table as I don't need much in the way of reference material spread around while I am working.

I've done a bunch of town houses, detached houses, schnellimbiss/cafe's etc and I am working on a church at the moment. I am also rather pleased with my supermarket... :)

View attachment 479189
It's still a work in progress and needs more detail to finish it off. We make the moulds for these and cast them in house, so we don't need an outside company to do the buildings for us. Looking forward to getting some of these into production and seeing how they paint up.

Rodney2q family trivia. The table I am working on was the dining table in my parents house from before I was born. It is a plain, very old drop leaf table, must be best part of 100 years old by now, and I made my first models and played my first wargame on it when I was a kid. I told my mother that I wanted the table when they they no longer needed it and I inherited it due course. It's kind of nostalgic to be making models on it again. :)
That building looks my local Aldi.

daz

LE
That building looks my local Aldi.
That's because the Germans have a cunning (store) plan*

*Which is why early Aldi & Lidi's were twats to deliver too, they were built to continental plans, including the docking bays

Last edited:
Which is why early Aldi & Lidi's were twats to deliver too, they were built to continental plans, including the docking bays
Been there done that! I was lucky, drove a left hand drive truck. So easy to back in, the new stores are now designed for British trucks.

daz

LE
For those of you with long, or indeed, working memories, we started the front landing gear quite some time ago, and like a complete tit I faffed around modify it like so
IMG_20180506_222650 (Custom).jpg

Not forgetting the tilt and turn mechanism on the flap
IMG_20180507_101342 (Custom).jpg

It's now in place, just needs to dry off and attach the wheel and the cover correctly
IMG_20200604_213436 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

daz

LE
Again, as some of you remember, the main section of the undercarriage legs was a tad on the high side, along with a few other issues such as the compression struts being in the wrong bloody place

IMG_20180429_193019 (Custom).jpg

Corrected struts
IMG_20180501_221510 (Custom).jpg

Of course, sorting the struts out rather threw off the balance.......even more than it was already, resulting in it become a tailsitter, added the weight to compensate caused the damage that relegated the airframe to the shelf of doom

Now it sits at the right hight unaided, still some more work to be done, but its now about 90% complete
IMG_20200605_201350 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:
Again, as some of you remember, the main section of the undercarriage legs was a tad on the high side, along with a few other issues such as the compression struts being in the wrong bloody place

View attachment 479748

Corrected strutsView attachment 479749

Of course, sorting the struts out rather threw off the balance.......even more than it was already, resulting in it become a tailsitter, added the weight to compensate caused the damage that relegated the airframe to the shelf of doom

Now it sits at the right hight unaided, still some more work to be done, but its now about 90% complete
View attachment 479750
Daz that’s looking pretty good for an Aircraft I didn’t even know existed!

daz

LE
Daz that’s looking pretty good for an Aircraft I didn’t even know existed!
Just noticed a mistake, the marking under the cockpit had dropped, so I've only just finished scrapping the bloody things off :(

View attachment 479748

Corrected strutsView attachment 479749

View attachment 479750
nice job. What next?

daz

LE
nice job. What next?
Erh, finishing this one first, then maybe something unusual for me, something like a ..........................................................................................................BF-109 maybe :)

ches

LE
Quick Q. Early mid 80s Banner. I've got a fusilier 120mm head inc hackle on beret as one of the options for the MMM kneeling squaddie on patrol. Google has been confusing to say the least. Anyone know if the cap badge on the beret was the silver/gold combination or just the silver?

Quick Q. Early mid 80s Banner. I've got a fusilier 120mm head inc hackle on beret as one of the options for the MMM kneeling squaddie on patrol. Google has been confusing to say the least. Anyone know if the cap badge on the beret was the silver/gold combination or just the silver?
We didn't wear silver capbadges. Gold for the grenade, silver for the wreath and St. George. The original photo is probably on t'interweb, 80-81 West Belfast tour. 1RRF, the lad was known as 'Skinny' apparently. Before my time though.

offog

LE
From what I saw at the Depot at this time the RRF had black cap badges when in the field and on ops. Mostly they kept the buggy in its cage but that could be down to the Bn COs prerogative. At one stage we had cravats in camp as the CO liked them.

edited because some one actually read it.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
From what I saw at the Depot at this time the RRF had black cabbages when in the field and on ops. Mostly they kept the buggy in its cage but that could be down to the Bn COs prerogative. At one stage we had cravats in camp as the CO liked them.
What were the rest of the rations like?

PFGEN

GCM
Coming soon, orders can be placed now. Price is around 63 notes.

FV510.jpg

That slat armour should be interesting. Here's the link to further pictures on Meng's website. Seems they've thrown in a metal barrel as well.

FV510

I hope this actually arrives and doesn't go the same way as the Chiefy they teased us with a couple of years ago.

That slat armour should be interesting. Here's the link to further pictures on Meng's website. Seems they've thrown in a metal barrel as well.
If it's done in anything other than PE brass, I'll be amazed if they can do it justice.

Last edited:

daz

LE
WW2 Colourised Photos Ground Crew applying "Invasion Stripes" to a Martin Marauder B-26 of 553rd Bomb. Squadron, 386 Bomb. Group at Great Dunmow airbase in Essex, England sometime between the 3rd and the 5th of June 1944.
In the background is the Marauder 131577 AN-Y "Elmer" (which crash landed in France 31st July 1944).

(Source: 'Life Magazine')
101851416_2838781372918303_5901358469990055936_n.jpg

Boxy

GCM
WW2 Colourised Photos Ground Crew applying "Invasion Stripes" to a Martin Marauder B-26 of 553rd Bomb. Squadron, 386 Bomb. Group at Great Dunmow airbase in Essex, England sometime between the 3rd and the 5th of June 1944.
In the background is the Marauder 131577 AN-Y "Elmer" (which crash landed in France 31st July 1944).

(Source: 'Life Magazine')View attachment 480036
You mean they didn’t use masking tape or anything the get the desired perfectly crisp lines as so beloved of the rivet counters? I’m shocked

51b6VCuwbGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Trying to decide on what to make next. I've found this kit for a late 19th century steam pinnace. Planked hull and wood superstructure with a few bits of plastic and metal to finish off the details. I remember reading on here somewhere about a restoration of a similar boat in Portsmouth Dockyard, but can't remember who posted it. This isn't my work of course, this is a photo from the makers of the kit showing what is possible.