Military Modelling

Wings and tracks aren't my thing, I clearly need to stick to figures only posts in the future, I'll consider myself admonished, as soon as I can get around to it then, or should I gouge out an eye for you?
Take what umbrage you like mate; I was answering (hence the quote) CTD's post to confirm his recollection.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Take what umbrage you like mate; I was answering (hence the quote) CTD's post to confirm his recollection.
None taken at all, we really need a sarcasm font, or maybe I should have used a smiley, don't think we have a seppuku one though. Edit apparently there is

I think someone here already posted a while ago that Wingnut were going under. A real shame. I don't think they'll be the last.
The rumours started about 6 or 8 weeks ago. Twas I that posted the note. Very sad as they are stunning

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nice and different, Sarnia's figures aren't the greatest sculpts in the world but they are a bit different from the usual suspects and sensibly priced, well worth a punt if you've ever fancied a go at figures.

I started a Pinterest account a few weeks ago and plumbed for models, no, not the NSFW style. I've been pleasantly surprised with some of the stuff I get sent daily. Some good ideas for dioramas or just methods I can adapt to my megre offerings.

1591044134965.png

Come on you Tankers.....give this a go:

1591044213150.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ken makes some beautiful flats as seen on his site here Milmart Miniatures I however cannot for the life of me paint them. However in my usual cop out fashion I have managed this, and am quite pleased with it. Modelled after this picture.

IMG_20200602_100209.jpg

Ken makes some beautiful flats as seen on his site here Milmart Miniatures I however cannot for the life of me paint them. However in my usual cop out fashion I have managed this, and am quite pleased with it. Modelled after this picture.

View attachment 478648
Helm this isn’t intended as a piss take, Dad liked flats as well. One of his mates used to make pin hole dioramas using different scale flats.
Dad sold his to collector’s, this is the only one left.
97423620-1B85-4960-A903-349F74C20821.jpeg
97423620-1B85-4960-A903-349F74C20821.jpeg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Helm this isn’t intended as a piss take, Dad liked flats as well. One of his mates used to make pin hole dioramas using different scale flats.
Dad sold his to collector’s, this is the only one left.View attachment 478657View attachment 478657
I have friends who can paint them like that too, I just can't get my head around it. your Dad also has clearly mastered it. On the bright side, drying time aside it took me about 15 minutes to do that. @dingerr flats might be something you could look at possibly, no clean up, or parts and if you do it as a bronze like I did, no complicated painting either. You wouldn't even need to use a brush except to run a brush over it for the final wash, the rest could be rattle cans. You can then do like I plan to do and mount them in a decoupage frame as well, nothing complicated or fancy.

Last edited:
I have friends who can paint them like that too, I just can't get my head around it. your Dad also has clearly mastered it. On the bright side, drying time aside it took me about 15 minutes to do that. @dingerr flats might be something you could look at possibly, no clean up, or parts and if you do it as a bronze like I did, no complicated painting either. You wouldn't even need to use a brush except to run a brush over it for the final wash, the rest could be rattle cans. You can then do like I plan to do and mount them in a decoupage frame as well, nothing complicated or fancy.
Should have explained, Pinhole dioramas. If you all remember pin hole cameras from school, similar thing except build a diorama with different scale flats mounted and light. So when viewed through the pinhole, it gives a 3D view in perspective and with some clever lighting can look very dramatic.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Should have explained, Pinhole dioramas. If you all remember pin hole cameras from school, similar thing except build a diorama with different scale flats mounted and light. So when viewed through the pinhole, it gives a 3D view in perspective and with some clever lighting can look very dramatic.
Yeah I know what they are, I just went off on a tangent in my post, when it occured to me about dinger.

daz

LE
I think the more I do, the more cocked up things get... might get finished at some stage

IMG_20200601_194718 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20200603_095159 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20200603_190333 (Custom).jpg

A liitle bit of lightweight fluff for you...

I'm not up to the standards of aircraft modelling shown here but I do enjoy wargaming with model aircraft. I recenty ordered three 1/200 scale Dornier Do17z for wargaming the battle of Britain and they arrived yesterday. The models come ready painted, with basic markings, plus flight stands and all the counters and bits for playing with them. The box also includes a decal sheet...

do17 003.jpg

do17 004.jpg

These models represent aircraft from KG 76 and are pre-painted in the standard early war colour scheme for the Blitzkrieg and Battle of Britain period.
do17 005.jpg

do17 006.jpg

This evening I spent nearly 45 minutes putting the decals on the models - fuselage numbers, unit ID letters and heraldic badges etc. I do not get on with decals...after half an hour my wife put her head round the door and said she could hear me swearing from the living room. I was working in the sun room on the far end of the dining room... Hey ho... got them all on in the end and only need a spot of black paint to finish the swastikas. Like most models sold in the EU they are not allowed to have proper swastikas...

do17 007.jpg

I am planning on having a game with these in the next few days so I'll try and remember to take some pics.

Finally, I have been working from a much smaller table at home for the past 10 weeks, rather than my usual desk at work. I have been renovating a couple of old designs which need new moulds and designing some new 1/144 scale model buildings rather than designing new 1/144 AFVs.

The company that makes the AFV moulds and does the resin casting has had to reduce its staffing levels and cannot start on any new models until they can get their staff back in. I have therefore had to put the AFVs on hold for the time being and instead have been designing modern (1980's - ish) German buildings for use as scenery to go with the the NATO and WARPACT models. Apart from anything else it is easier to make the buildings on the smaller table as I don't need much in the way of reference material spread around while I am working.

I've done a bunch of town houses, detached houses, schnellimbiss/cafe's etc and I am working on a church at the moment. I am also rather pleased with my supermarket... :)

supermarket.jpg

It's still a work in progress and needs more detail to finish it off. We make the moulds for these and cast them in house, so we don't need an outside company to do the buildings for us. Looking forward to getting some of these into production and seeing how they paint up.

Rodney2q family trivia. The table I am working on was the dining table in my parents house from before I was born. It is a plain, very old drop leaf table, must be best part of 100 years old by now, and I made my first models and played my first wargame on it when I was a kid. I told my mother that I wanted the table when they they no longer needed it and I inherited it due course. It's kind of nostalgic to be making models on it again. :)

Last edited:

daz

LE
Still better than I could do... last time I used an airbrush I looked up from the models and found the wall behind them sprayed a nice dark green. Didn't really go with the magnolia paint in the married quarter... :oops:
I'm not sure what I need more, new hands, new eyes or a new airbrush - regular readers will note with some glee that I write the bloody things off on a regular basis by dropping the sodding thing :(

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure what I need more, new hands, new eyes or a new airbrush - regular readers will note with some glee that I write the bloody things off on a regular basis by dropping the sodding thing :(
Dropping what? Eyes, hands, or airbrushes?

Latest Threads