Military Modelling

Been a bit busy recently and don't seem to have got much in the way of modelling done. Anyway, here's an update...

I have finished some N scale model railway buildings for my NATO-Warsaw pact wargames - built these three over the past month. I have a love-hate relationship with Faller models. They look very good if you take the time to build them carefully but, just like German cars and tanks, they are ridiculously over engineered in some areas..

faller buildings.jpg

Some years ago I was given some Games Workshop models, including a box of Space Marines. Finally got round to putting them together. I don't play the game but I like the Black Library sci-fi books about the Spave Marines. Anyway, these are a work in progress - I've assembled them and done the basic paint job - still got the fine details and bases to do...

spacemarine1.jpg

spacemarine2.jpg

spacemarine3.jpg

spacemarine4.jpg

Finally, I have managed to get some work done on the 1/144 armour.

Latest models are the American M60A3 and Bradley IFV. These are pre production versions cast in polyurethane resin and white metal.
m60a3 and bradley 1.jpg

m60a3 and bradley 2.jpg

Finally, some of my older models. These were orginally cast in metal but I've remastered them for casting in resin - I love the crisp sharp finish on the resin castings... :)
newresinsoviet2.jpg

Well, onto my next scenery project - some Belgian villages and factories for wargaming the BEF in August 1914...

Is there a list of your new moulds. I assume your shop would suddenly stop moving the old ones if it was public.
I'll take at least one of each of your new just because they exist.

Is there a list of your new moulds. I assume your shop would suddenly stop moving the old ones if it was public.
I'll take at least one of each of your new just because they exist.
PM sent

Mad Mitch now has a minder
Absolutely beautiful sculpts - perfectly proportioned, realistically posed and fantastic detail. I doubt my painting skills would beable to do them justice... :-(

Nice to just admire the skill that went into designing them though...

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Absolutely beautiful sculpts - perfectly proportioned, realistically posed and fantastic detail. I doubt my painting skills would beable to do them justice... :-(

Nice to just admire the skill that went into designing them though...
You could always do them as bronzed statues if you aren't too confident of your painting ability. My advice would be buy them have a crack at painting them realistically, if you really aren't happy with the result, strip them and go bronze. I have a pair of big 200mm Arnhem Paras from Gordon I'm still debating which way to go with them. They would look good painted as is, but also would make a stunning bronze look pair.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You could always do them as bronzed statues if you aren't too confident of your painting ability. My advice would be buy them have a crack at painting them realistically, if you really aren't happy with the result, strip them and go bronze. I have a pair of big 200mm Arnhem Paras from Gordon I'm still debating which way to go with them. They would look good painted as is, but also would make a stunning bronze look pair.
That is a top suggestion mucker! How would you do it? My thoughts are, primed with red oxide primer, dark brown overall base coat, black low-lights, copper highlights and finished with a coat of satin varnish. Accept any corrections on that from an expert.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
That is a top suggestion mucker! How would you do it? My thoughts are, primed with red oxide primer, dark brown overall base coat, black low-lights, copper highlights and finished with a coat of satin varnish. Accept any corrections on that from an expert.
There's more details here how I do it here https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/figure-for-combat-stress.297239/
The short version, assemble the figure completely, primer with BLACK that is important as the figure is already assembled, you don't want any light coloured bits showing, then use a dark bronze as a base, then dry brush with a lighter more copper colour, wash with black, brown and dark blue to taste. Sometimes a green wash is effective too. Not that I am in any way an expert, but that seems to work

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There's more details here how I do it here https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/figure-for-combat-stress.297239/
The short version, assemble the figure completely, primer with BLACK that is important as the figure is already assembled, you don't want any light coloured bits showing, then use a dark bronze as a base, then dry brush with a lighter more copper colour, wash with black, brown and dark blue to taste.
Thanks Steve. Just shows the difference between us amateurs and you professionals.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Aww shucks but nah not professional. THIS is professional

Me I just throw paint at it, till it looks reasonable.
that is fecking awesome!

ches

LE
The bronze bust effect works well with Helms link technique, another version is a monochrome effect, which looks bloody good. Black primer over assembled piece, then airbrush layers of white from above letting the paint lay onto the raised & uppermost surfaces, do it in a few thin passes to build up the effect. I've also seen it done using white primer from a rattle can, as long as you ain't a bull in a china shop then you're on a winner.

Good mate of mine on with this at the minute which is quite impressive. It’s an M113
676CC19B-EFBF-4410-BA86-DFA829826FA3.jpeg

37355DA5-340A-4453-BE68-D79538292801.jpeg

1C9BC766-4F29-44C8-8AFB-EF12D9C2F5EB.jpeg

312EF479-B111-4366-9677-149168E90B10.jpeg

Thought I’d was worth a post as he’s an ex scaley

daz

LE
The Shuttleworth Collection model show..... well, what came out

_DSC1547.jpg
_DSC1548.jpg
_DSC1550.jpg
_DSC1553.jpg